Quantcast
anyone here take math271? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: anyone here take math271?

Default anyone here take math271?

anyone take math271? i am taking it now and i am seriously LOST...i get the proofs and everything, it is just the actual proving part that that is hard.
    can anyone direct me to some resources or anyone able to help me out here? i am struggling on the first assignment......
    thx

don't they have open tutorial sessions up in Math Science?
    you might wanna check there first
    271 is Discreet isn't it? :S
    good luck

yes, the actual proving part is the hard part.. YES I took the course, and YES it is the HARDEST course you will ever take, I guarantee it.. I took it about 6 semesters ago, and they used to have tutorials every thursday night in science B.. Basically the first week of class we got our course outlines and stuff, and then the 2nd week of class we got a handout saying "if you need help, go here"..

not to scare you or anything, but the failing rate of that class when I took it was 50%.. so 1/2 of the people who takes the course will fail it the first time.

I walked out with a C, and I don't know how i did it.

I have some old assignments and stuff, but i don't know how much that will help you.. PM me if you have any questions.. don't ask me how to do your problems because I completely forgot how to do any of that stuff

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

I had to totally disagree with shaolin, in my option 413 is the worst course....there are ppl going into the class hoping for a D when they come out.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by KLCC
    I had to totally disagree with shaolin, in my option 413 is the worst course....there are ppl going into the class hoping for a D when they come out.

I thought math 271 was gonna be the hardest course I'd ever take, but once I took cpsc 413, I *wished* I was in math 271 again. 271 was child's play compared to 413. However, everything taught in 271 is relivent to stuff you will use in your later courses in cpsc, so don't think to yourself "When the hell am I ever gonna use this?". You'd be suprised as to how often you will use it.

actually come to think of it, you're right.. but I don't remember it being 413.. i remember it as 313? I don't know, I dropped out of computer science after 2.5 years and got into Management.. but I remember 313 being a weeder class hardcore.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Shaolin
    actually come to think of it, you're right.. but I don't remember it being 413.. i remember it as 313? I don't know, I dropped out of computer science after 2.5 years and got into Management.. but I remember 313 being a weeder class hardcore.
    413 comes after 313. 313 was a joke. State diagrams my ass!

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

i got 271 next semster (sigh) haha math is my stronger subject though so we'll see...

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

271 isnt math like you know...
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

yes..it isnt...it has little to do with math! haha...it is pretty hard, and i am lost already, time to book some appt's with dinh!
    anyone else have dinh as a prof?

hahaha T Dinh, he ran the 271 workshop back when I took 271.. the little vietnamese guy, funny man.. great teacher though.. oh umm, he marked really hard back when I was in 271, that's what some of my friends who had him said anyways because he helps you so much he expects alot from you.

just rumors.

no rumors lol.
    i know Dinh; wasn't one of his students but i've worked alongside him in the Viet community and he's exactly the way a Vietnamese teacher is: strict, tough on marks... but teaches you in the best way possible.

everyone i've talked to who's come out of his 271 class says that (even if they failed) he teaches very well. He's tricky though.
    and like Shaolin said: he helps you so much he expects a lot from you.

Im doing 284 at SAIT. I am pretty sure its a comparable course.

Technical Calculus Level II

My Ride
    Bowling shoes

271 is a Brutal brutal course. Only suggestion I have is practice, practice, practice even email the prof for practice questions.

271 is right up there with 413 and anyone crazy enough to take 517.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by FastDak318
    Im doing 284 at SAIT. I am pretty sure its a comparable course.

Technical Calculus Level II
    What do you do in that course?

271's all about graph theory, logic, induction, computational complexity, etc... Very little, if any, calculus in it.

Anyone who's about to take 413, make sure to brush up on your calculus!! It was over three years since I took 251 and some warning would've been nice ahead of time.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

What do you do in that course?

271's all about graph theory, logic, induction, computational complexity, etc... Very little, if any, calculus in it.

Anyone who's about to take 413, make sure to brush up on your calculus!! It was over three years since I took 251 and some warning would've been nice ahead of time.
    Yea so its is quite different then.
    I am more Differentials and Integration of electrical concepts.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Math 271 isn't too bad, but then I took that class during summer, so I can't really compare with it during fall. I still think Physics 259 was the hardest course.
    You just gotta think differently for math 271, like rice-daddy said, it's not your typical math class. And for those who have dinh, he's a really good teacher, and a good guy. For the assignments you should do it in a big group helps a lot more.

Last edited by kaput; 03-13-2019 at 12:41 AM.