Quantcast
Post your workout routine - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your workout routine

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by kutt3r

Have you ever done the 1x100 calf raises Darkane?
    No, I don't think I could use any weight for that lol. Even doing 3x30 standing I feel it in my knees which sucks.

The seated I probably could but that's not fun with only a 10 on each side haha.

On the seated I can throw up 45+5 on each side for 30-32 good form raises. It burns like fuck, and I haven't really made any size gains on the calfs. They are the hardest muscle to grow on most people. I think I've done 1/4" in the last 6 months or so.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

^^

LOL yea you need to do it with 20... give it a go one day.. you know what they say, you gotta change it up.

I have had a few freinds laugh at me with that one... till they hit 50-60... then I was laughing... not something I would ever do regularly, but fun to through in once in a while, just like 21's

Must be nice to have calves... LOL

My Ride
    TL

For you guys looking for some calf growth, some thoughts from Dante about getting calves to grow. Never tried it so your mileage will vary.

doggcrapp

Random thoughts by Dante again (I think Betito wanted me to do this)
    Boy you guys are in trouble because Ill probably just use this thread to ramble on and jump from one topic to another.

Ok lets see here....

Calves: I wasnt ever going to put this on the net because its very hard to describe and I usually only used it with people in person (and i would say about 4-5 trainees online)....but what the hell....lets try it.

You got weak calves....they suck....you know it, your girlfriend knows it, Jill Pettengill that hot blonde in high school you had the fever for knew it, and your lifting partner that you blow away in spades on all bodyparts except calves knows it (thats why he wears shorts 24/7 around you.)

Hmmmmmm lets think it out.....who has good calves?

a) genetically gifted people who have no idea where they came from, never had to bust their ass for them but love to give calf training advice to everyone who will listen....even though it wont do jack crap for you.

b) fat people (almost universally) and I surmise you would too if you had to one leg calf raise a great deal of bodyweight all the time when walking (remember this concept for below though)

c) geeks - guys who walk up on their toes since kindergarten, yes they look a little light in their loafers and like they just came from a starring role in Peter Pan but no doubt.....those geeky toewalkers got some gastrocs and soleus's to be proud of. (remember this concept for below though also)

So what does the above (a b c) do for you?

Dante wants you to do cardio on your days off training correct? You have to do it anyway AND YOUR CALVES SUCK! Hmmmmm....

So Im going to show you a way to get those babies up bigtime and kill 2 birds with one stone.

****Please be very hydrated and take some Taurine before you do this ok---there is a very good chance you will cramp if you dont (Trust me on this as someone who has been doing this for years.....learn this lesson from someone its happened to...me...taurine + water especially if you are using creatine)

Allright you now do your cardio like this if you have suckass calves ok

We are going to start out so you dont kill yourself

Incline at 15 (yes the highest it will go), MPH at 3.0......I want semi-long strides and a slightly concious effort to push with your big toe during these long strides ok......and here is the key below--this is what must be done and the problem of why i never have described this on the net (and i still dont know if you guys are going to get it)

Lean forward so you are leaning over the (push button display board)...in fact you know what i would like you to do if possible so you are positioned just right? Bring your arms up on the display board and i want them straight out in front of you all the way to the crook of the elbow hanging off the top of the display board ok?

Grasp your thumb with your other hand if you have to...whatever feels right.

So stand up straight from the computer right now--and then put your arms straight out in front of you----see the crook of your elbow (where bicep and forearm meet)----that is going to be where the top of the treadmill display board is--at that crook--you probably are going to have to put a towel up there because you are going to be huffing and puffing and sweating. To accomplish that you are going to have to lean forward a little bit but i dont want you resting totally on the display board--i just want to put you in a mechanical position for your calves on the highest incline using one calf at a time ("oh dante i see what you are doing you freaking **&%$&^ slavedriver!")

So we are in position now....ready?

6 minutes at 15 incline and 3.0mph
    4 minutes at 15 incline and 2.5mph
    3 minutes at 15 incline and 2.0mph
    2 minutes at 15 incline and 1.5mph

and you might think those slower mph is going to make it much much easier---oh it is on your breathing but not on your calves.

So 15 minutes is what you will start out with and lets see who has balls or not....and then with time you could work your way up to whatever you wanted to do....but remember your going to be expending alot of energy in this 15 minutes so i would never be doing 45 minutes cardio like this.

i honestly think you could get great benefit sticking at 20 minutes with this and do a

10 minutes / 15 / 3.5mph
    5 minutes / 15 / 2.5 mph
    5 minutes / 15 / 1.5mph

or if absolutely topped out (and i dont think this is neccessary but for someone who does alot of cardio or needs alot of cardio and also needs some calves you could try this)

10 minutes / 15 / 3.5mph
    10 minutes / 15 / 2.5 mph
    10 minutes / 15 / 1.5mph

Id be personally destroyed with that at 275lbs bodyweight - but hey it really is up to you guys here on the timing you want to do---i just want the mechanics of it done right.

Try the 15 minutes first on your next cardio day and tell me how it goes--you are probably going to be pretty darn spent.

This is my promise to you---I promise you bigger calves with this in a short timespan if you do it mechanically correct---I PROMISE YOU THAT---actually I absolutely guarentee that.

And as you get larger and weigh more and keep doing this they are going to keep getting larger if you keep doing it.

Once again (water and taurine).....this would be the time to put some glycerol in your daily water intake if you are going to do these things.

again in my personal opinion 20 minutes tops would probably be all that is needed here but Ill let you guys do your thing and decide how you want to do it timing wise....just promise me you do it as I described above.

out...

PS: no you dont have to wear a Peter Pan outfit during it....and Jill Pettengill isnt that hot anymore so stop sweating her
    doggcrapp

I just searched for any kind of picture on the net that could describe this and this is the closest i could come to with this girl.

if that railing was the top of the treadmill display board (obviously it would be a little bit higher) and her elbows were a little more forward she would be very close to being in the correct position

Assuming that is directed to me...easy not a body builder, no desire to be. I am building functional strength.

The arrangement is quite simple, go all out with each exercise to exhaustion, no need for mulitple exercises. In and out in 30-40min, great for fat burning and strength building.

The strongest guys I know are not bodybuilders...
    you can't be serious. functional strength? what the hell is functional strength lol. functional strength is wrestling or doing some sort of grappling and dealing with an opponenets body weight, displacement, etc. no part of weight training is essentially 'functional'. if it was, then are you trying to tell me that by you doing incline press, by sitting on a bench....that's functional?

oh and why do everyone say that bodybuilders are not strong? remind me to embedd a youtube link of 270 lb ronnie coleman squatting 800 lbs, or his 900 deadlift.

seriously, those guys can lift some heavy ass weight. they are narcissistic though and are in search of an ideal physique, which is why they do all the gay little iso work with light weight and high reps. dont kid yourself though, they are strong as hell.

if they weren't they wouldn't have the physqiues they have.

Originally posted by Darkane

No, I don't think I could use any weight for that lol. Even doing 3x30 standing I feel it in my knees which sucks.

The seated I probably could but that's not fun with only a 10 on each side haha.

On the seated I can throw up 45+5 on each side for 30-32 good form raises. It burns like fuck, and I haven't really made any size gains on the calfs. They are the hardest muscle to grow on most people. I think I've done 1/4" in the last 6 months or so.
    same with forearms.....i have little girl forearms lol. fuck those things are bitch to work out. i've tried doing iso work like that but it's just so fucking boring. who the hell wants to sit there flexing a little bar for 6-9 sets. screeeeew that.

Originally posted by wiggaplz

same with forearms.....i have little girl forearms lol. fuck those things are bitch to work out. i've tried doing iso work like that but it's just so fucking boring. who the hell wants to sit there flexing a little bar for 6-9 sets. screeeeew that.
    Just do farmers walks, and deadlift/exercise without any gloves/wraps. Also, yes guys like ronnie ARE strong...but then again they're also on roids.

By functional strength I think most people mean power lifting strength, where multiple muscle groups/big CNS loads are required. I guess it's MORE functional compared to targeting muscle groups.

Originally posted by liquidboi69

Just do farmers walks, and deadlift/exercise without any gloves/wraps. Also, yes guys like ronnie ARE strong...but then again they're also on roids.

By functional strength I think most people mean power lifting strength, where multiple muscle groups/big CNS loads are required. I guess it's MORE functional compared to targeting muscle groups.
    so how does doing what he does gain him any functional strength? i'm confused to all hell....

functional strength isn't in the weight room.....period.

and yeah, deadlifts i always do, they just don't jack up my forearms. farmers walks are good for grip but still.......i find them boring as fuck and you can't really isolate your brachioradialis muscle that well or the flexors/extensors in your forearm. i donno....maybe i ought to start working them. maybe i'll jsut jerk off more lol lol

Originally posted by wiggaplz

you can't be serious. functional strength? what the hell is functional strength lol. functional strength is wrestling or doing some sort of grappling and dealing with an opponenets body weight, displacement, etc. no part of weight training is essentially 'functional'. if it was, then are you trying to tell me that by you doing incline press, by sitting on a bench....that's functional?

oh and why do everyone say that bodybuilders are not strong? remind me to embedd a youtube link of 270 lb ronnie coleman squatting 800 lbs, or his 900 deadlift.

seriously, those guys can lift some heavy ass weight. they are narcissistic though and are in search of an ideal physique, which is why they do all the gay little iso work with light weight and high reps. dont kid yourself though, they are strong as hell.

if they weren't they wouldn't have the physqiues they have.
    I guess weightrooms are not functional as there are no professional atheletes that weight train, nor do MMA atheletes and most certainly not olympians.. they would never use a weight room right? Crossfitters, guess they don't use weights either.

Functional Strength Training helps you better perform every day activities with agility and ease. Googles your friend, look before showing your ignorance to the world.. first thing google brought up.... decent enough article, with no effort:
    http://www.shawnlebrunfitness.com/bu...ybuilding.html

I said nothing about BBers not being strong, I said they are not the strongest... I have trained with both including stregth athletes. BBers will admit they are not as strong as a decent PLer, they do not train the same, look at most PLers, they have very thick waists for a reason, not so good for BBing... this is basic stuff.

If deadlifts do not 'jack' your forearms then you are not lifting heavy enough... my back/hams will out lift my grip everytime.
    Maybe trying using a thick bar for deadlifts, curls, shoulder presses, shrugs if you gym doesnt have one wrap a couple towels around the bar etc... Grip strength is very functional...

Seriously lose the attitute, it will take you further in life, there is a ton of great info and guys in this section and if you read more than you typed you might learn something.

Originally posted by Oz-
    For you guys looking for some calf growth, some thoughts from Dante about getting calves to grow. Never tried it so your mileage will vary.
    Nice post Oz.. I check out the DC every once in a while and I have never seen that article...maybe I will have to give that a try tomorrow morning

My Ride

Nobody else on Beyond works out??
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Originally posted by Darkane
    Nobody else on Beyond works out??
    Apparently not...well at least the Crossfit guys are diligent.

So I tried the treadmill/calf workout posted by Oz... I will not lie, it burnt. Never noticed them the next day though, that could be because my quads were in too much pain.

I did:
    5min warm up
    3.0/15 - 10min
    2.5/15 - 10min
    1.5/15 - 10min
    2min Cooldown

The 3.0 was easy, should have went to 3.5.
    The 2.5 was starting to burn.
    The 1.5 kills if you fully extend your calves.. burns way worse than the 3.0.

Good way to kill 40mins after heavy squats

Keep them coming, I like seeing new routines to try out.

Oz.. I think you are the guy that does some plyo stuff, would love to see some more of that.

My Ride
    TL

I don't think I ever did plyo stuff.

Was training to qualify for nationals in powerlifting in the IPF, key point to this is to do it raw (well with only a belt). So I was training on a Westside routine with mainly a ME and DE day, with the odd RE day thrown in there. This lasted about 5-6 months before I started to get little niggles and moved off of it to help my body recover, went to a 10x3 routine for a bit and finally back to a 3-day Westside.

But just had foot surgery and still not 100% which will take me some time to get back there. Right now using crossfit to stay in shape and hope to maintain my LBM while helping with the cardio and fat loss. This will probably last for the next 8-10 weeks. At which time I will decide on what I want to do longer term.

As for routines, some of my favorite ones are done by Wes Silveria (IronAddict) and Scott Dixon (Sand Blaster), they are both active over at www.ironaddicts.com. Some other favorite routines are Jim Wendlers Powerbuilding routine.

EDIT - The one thing I had during this entire process was a training partner, it would help me tremendously to get pushed. Right now I have to constantly rely on myself to get the work done.
    Last edited by Oz-; 12-23-2008 at 08:07 AM.

My Ride
    Jetta

I won't explain exactly what each one is, but it's what I call it. Just a twice a week thing, cardio I get playing soccer.

Abs/tri's/shoulders day
    -1x set (10-12 rep) of tricep dips, shoulder dumbbell raises, on some lighter weight

-4x sets (4-7 reps) of tricep dips, shoulder dumbbell raises, and 10-12 reps of hanging crunches

-3x sets (4-7 reps) of skullcrushers, assisted shoulder press (for rear delts) and 15 reps of slow crunches/situps

-3x sets (4-7 reps) of tricep pull down machine, shoulder "wing lifts", and 10-12 reps of ab V-crunches on a bench

Back/pecs/biceps day
    -1x set (10-12 rep) of inclined bench press, E-Z bar curls, back pull down machine

-4x set (4-7 reps) of inclined bench press, E-Z bar curls, back pull down machine

-3x sets (4-7r) of declined bench w/ free weights, stabilized bicep curls, free weight lifts (a back exercise)

-3x sets (4-7r) of flat bench press, another type of bicep curl, and... another free weight exercise that I can't remember.

Nothing killer, but it's a great work out and results have been quite favorable in a short span of time. The workout I do was sort of coined and upgraded over time from a buddy of mine, who's helped me out tons. Having a gym buddy really helps the working out process.

Originally posted by Oz-
    I don't think I ever did plyo stuff.

Was training to qualify for nationals in powerlifting in the IPF, key point to this is to do it raw (well with only a belt). So I was training on a Westside routine with mainly a ME and DE day, with the odd RE day thrown in there. This lasted about 5-6 months before I started to get little niggles and moved off of it to help my body recover, went to a 10x3 routine for a bit and finally back to a 3-day Westside.

But just had foot surgery and still not 100% which will take me some time to get back there. Right now using crossfit to stay in shape and hope to maintain my LBM while helping with the cardio and fat loss. This will probably last for the next 8-10 weeks. At which time I will decide on what I want to do longer term.

As for routines, some of my favorite ones are done by Wes Silveria (IronAddict) and Scott Dixon (Sand Blaster), they are both active over at www.ironaddicts.com. Some other favorite routines are Jim Wendlers Powerbuilding routine.

EDIT - The one thing I had during this entire process was a training partner, it would help me tremendously to get pushed. Right now I have to constantly rely on myself to get the work done.
    I think I know where I got it from, made an assumption as I think you do the sled pulls? Just assumed you were doing plyo's too. Between that and I mixed you up with another guy on another board :P (hope so or I am more confused than even I thought, too many boards..LOL)

Was checking out the articles from SB, some interesting stuff in there. Should have lots of time today to kill to check more out.

My Ride
    TL

I think I know where I got it from, made an assumption as I think you do the sled pulls? Just assumed you were doing plyo's too. Between that and I mixed you up with another guy on another board :P (hope so or I am more confused than even I thought, too many boards..LOL)

Was checking out the articles from SB, some interesting stuff in there. Should have lots of time today to kill to check more out.
    I pull the sled for GPP, but that is taking a break with this cold weather if it were warmer then -10 I bring out the sled. Its quite easy just dragging in my back alley. Not many people to give me weird looks anymore, and the gravel/sand is great friction for added resistance. Plus it helps a ton with my explosiveness out of the hole while squatting.

As for Sand Blaster and Iron Addict, both have fantastic articles and they keep that board as clean as possible. They crack down on the bb.com crowd very quickly (think 160 lb guys providing "info" on how to squat 5 wheels a side).
    Last edited by Oz-; 12-23-2008 at 12:18 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Wow I just realized that I've never posted my routine.

For the next 13 weeks I'm doing a split A/B style full body workout, with cardio on my off days.

Workout A:
    + Squat 2 x 8
    + Stiff Leg Deadlifts 2 x 8
    + Dips 2 x 8
    + Bent Row 2 x 8
    + Dumbell Overhead Press 1 x 10
    + Pull ups 2 x 8
    + Weighted crunch 2 x 12

Workout B:
    + Front Squat 2 x 8
    + Deadlift 2 x 8
    + Flat Bench Press 2 x 8
    + One Arm Row 2 x 8
    + Military Press 1 x 10
    + Chin Ups 2 x 8
    + Weighted Reverse Crunch 2 x 12

I workout three days a week (Monday/Wednesday/Friday), with squash on Sunday and a core day on Saturday if I'm feeling it I do cardio Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday, and if I'm still feeling energetic after squash on Sunday I'll do some cardio then too.

Originally posted by Oz-

Just to add to this, have been doing this about 2-3 times a week for the last month as my only form of direct calf work and I have put on 1/4 inch on my calves... to most that is not too impressive to me that is enormous (I have tiny calves & poor genetics).
    I have started wearing my 40lbs vest for one of the workouts as I was looking to up the intensity... ouch

This month I will be adding direct calf work as well, 1 day heavy, 1 day volume and 1 day walking and see how that goes.

Thanks again Oz!

Default My 5/3/1 Example

Just an example of a couple days:
    Accessory work is variable, Week 1 I am doing 5x10, Week 2 I am going to go 3x8, have not though to week 3 yet, maybe 20's??

Deadlift Day - Week 1

Deadlifts
    75% x 5 reps
    80% x 5 reps
    85% x 5 reps
    Rest - as long as I want/need

Leg Curls
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    Rest 30 sec

Weighted Crunches
    x20
    x20
    x20
    x20
    x20
    Rest 30 sec

Cardio... done.

Flat Bench Day - Week 1

Bench
    75% x 5 reps
    80% x 5 reps
    85% x 5 reps
    Rest - as long as I want/need

Incline Bench - 30 Degree
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    Rest 30 sec

DB Rows
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    x10
    Rest 30 sec

My Ride

Originally posted by Rocky
    I won't explain exactly what each one is, but it's what I call it. Just a twice a week thing, cardio I get playing soccer.

Abs/tri's/shoulders day
    -1x set (10-12 rep) of tricep dips, shoulder dumbbell raises, on some lighter weight

-4x sets (4-7 reps) of tricep dips, shoulder dumbbell raises, and 10-12 reps of hanging crunches

-3x sets (4-7 reps) of skullcrushers, assisted shoulder press (for rear delts) and 15 reps of slow crunches/situps

-3x sets (4-7 reps) of tricep pull down machine, shoulder "wing lifts", and 10-12 reps of ab V-crunches on a bench

Back/pecs/biceps day
    -1x set (10-12 rep) of inclined bench press, E-Z bar curls, back pull down machine

-4x set (4-7 reps) of inclined bench press, E-Z bar curls, back pull down machine

-3x sets (4-7r) of declined bench w/ free weights, stabilized bicep curls, free weight lifts (a back exercise)

-3x sets (4-7r) of flat bench press, another type of bicep curl, and... another free weight exercise that I can't remember.

Nothing killer, but it's a great work out and results have been quite favorable in a short span of time. The workout I do was sort of coined and upgraded over time from a buddy of mine, who's helped me out tons. Having a gym buddy really helps the working out process.
    Not sure if your fingers got tired from typing, but there's no leg work. You might become to top heavy and topple over.. Just saying is all.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Just to add to this, have been doing this about 2-3 times a week for the last month as my only form of direct calf work and I have put on 1/4 inch on my calves... to most that is not too impressive to me that is enormous (I have tiny calves & poor genetics).
    I have started wearing my 40lbs vest for one of the workouts as I was looking to up the intensity... ouch

This month I will be adding direct calf work as well, 1 day heavy, 1 day volume and 1 day walking and see how that goes.

Thanks again Oz!
    1/4" in a month is amazing progress. Dante is on to something I think.

I might actually incorporate this into a bulk diet. I could use it as some low intensity cardio to bump insulin sensitivity and build some mean ass calves.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast