Quantcast
The Official Drafting/Cad Monkey Thread - Page 30 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Drafting/Cad Monkey Thread

I've been on temp layoff for the last 2 months. I wouldn't say the market is hot right now but there are places looking. I had 3 or 4 interviews and am starting at a new place on Monday. I've also heard the same thing about lots of places laying off.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    General question; how do you guys feel the market is right now?

I've heard of huge layoffs and also of some places looking, hard to get a solid read on it right now. Most people I know are employed, but I have some friends who have been looking since even January without much luck.

I am getting slow, and it feels like it could go either way
    same situation where I'm at. Slow as heck. Most producers cut their budgets big time for 2014 and aren't filtering projects down to EPCMs. Layoffs coming. Engineers still seem busy doing bids and proposals but none of the stuff they send out ends up coming back with the word "go". It's typical of what all corporations are doing now. Growth is zero if not negative in real terms but they beef up results for shareholders by increasing efficiencies, laying off, selling assets etc. That's the only way they can jack up their numbers now. Real growth and increased hiring is a thing of the past. It's about how thin can you get an still run your company. Rather scary as Calgary is not a good place to be in terms of being out of work for a long period of time.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-06-2019 at 02:57 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i guess thats one bonus of being international and never increasing workforce when we are slammed

just business as usual... plus im now a write off so... lifer here i come

duck and cover, layoff season

My Ride
    Edge

I'm with a smallish company--18 employees here in Calgary, after 5 were laid off in March due to projects not going forward. And we had just ramped up at the end of last year and early this year in anticipation of a bunch of work. One guy was here 1 month and got let go. I haven't even been here a year yet, so if there are any more layoffs, I'll likely be next on the mechanical side.

i'm on vacation for almost 3 weeks in europe, and hearing about layoffs is pretty damn scary. i guess the only thing i can 'bank' on are my banked hours; i've managed to accumulate over 600hrs. i'm scared of the tax deductions, though. wow. =\
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    bus pass... again

Originally posted by gkAeris
    bringing a thread back from the dead again

i'm freaking stressed on the cadworx spec editior issue

has anyone created a metric/metric catalog with OD metric and NOT DN metric, i been trying for two days now, all the specs i currently have is in DN metric, i'm trying to convert them to OD metric.

i checked the sample specs and they are all in DN metric, i have tried changing size tables but even after i changed it to OD my drop down menus are all metric

i tried changing the setsizeM.tbl file to ACTUAL

really i just about tried everything...i CAN'T seem to get the specs to be in metric OD instead of DN

i even tried creating new specs in OD with a new catalog but that doesn't work either..........

any suggestions is appreicated!
    I feel ur pain there my friend, i also works with a lot of cadworx and all the BS that comes with it. I work with metric/inch at my place, so im unable to offer u much help there. But grind on, everytime u over come a problem makes u a better person!
    我係阿仔

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-06-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Pretty much all the firms I am dealing with (power generation) are starting to ramp up their production. Cummins is slammed, Wajax is busy... even simpson-maxwell is going lol. Cat is always busy. fucking cat.

Lots of quotes. Some are coming back. 2 Big projects got green lit this week for me. Its going to be good.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

lol.... ok, well, we never got it

The company notified everybody of pending mass layoffs

What is the story for the rest of the companies right now? I've heard Focus is hiring everybody in town, aside form that not much else.
    it's dead Jim. Unless you have some good connections somewhere which always accounts for a huge % of hiring in O&G. Never even heard of Focus

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

I am not in the drafting side of things, but I was spoke with one of our contractors at Fluor yesterday and they mentioned that they are very busy at the moment. Don't know if that is of any help?
    Last edited by mrsingh; 09-25-2014 at 01:33 PM.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Our civil consulting engineering company (land development) is looking at hiring 2-3 competent designer/drafters with experience in Civil3D. While I can guarantee you it won't pay as much as O&G, I can guarantee you will have a stable job and get to work on interesting & local projects (I personally take pride in developing my own community) with excellent work/life balance. If anyone's interested, send me a PM and I'll get you more details.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by BigMass

it's dead Jim. Unless you have some good connections somewhere which always accounts for a huge % of hiring in O&G. Never even heard of Focus
    You've never heard of Focus? Previously DPH Focus? WSP Bought them... The guys that bought Genivar, Who in calgary used to be GRB/Tundra....

Everyone i know seems to be grinding away busily... Nothing crazy but they sure aren't bored.

My company is fairly busy, but we are tiny as fuck so..

My Ride
    EG6

We are f'in swamped in the arch side of drafting. if you have experience in drafting design or contract admin send me your resume and i will pass it on to HR.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

I have a buddy who's at Fluor, says there's new people every week

I see a lot of stuff for civil, arch, structural, electrical and very little on the piping design side.

lol.... ok, well, we never got it

The company notified everybody of pending mass layoffs

What is the story for the rest of the companies right now? I've heard Focus is hiring everybody in town, aside form that not much else.

I know our EPCM is looking for a 4-6 year guy in drafting, they have hired 3 new people in the last few months but I guess it depends on each place

I would personally want to stay away from WSP but that is me

Originally posted by J.M.
    I have a buddy who's at Fluor, says there's new people every week
    I worked there for 2 years. full of fobs that barely speak english. great benefits but I felt they always had way too many drafters and designers per project.
    When the recession hit, every week they would lay someone off on fridays and this continued for MONTHS. it was always a gamble on who would be let go haha

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by BigMass
    I see a lot of stuff for civil, arch, structural, electrical and very little on the piping design side.
    Oh, Fair enough!

Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast