Quantcast
Wireless internet help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Wireless internet help

My Ride
    STi

Unhappy Wireless internet help

When i'm working on my laptop, my wireless internet will cut out randomly. It's still technically connected to my network but it'll have "limited Connectivity," so it's pretty much like I'm not connected at all. This happens every 5-10 minutes or so, but later it'll work again. My sister's laptop works fine and doesn't cut out like mine does. Also, my wireless network is set on the top of the priority list so it isn't trying to connect to another network.

Anyone have any ideas

try reinstalling your network adapter???

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

What are you using as a router, and when its cutting out, was anyone using the microwave/phone or etc at the time?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Honda Civic 1995, 1996 Acura Integra

what brand's the router?

My Ride
    STi

^^ My router is a lynksys router, and no one was using any microwaves or phones at the time. My network adapter is a built in one so i don't think i can reinstall it. Also I've tried to "repair" it but it usually doesn't make it past the refresh IP part.

My Ride
    Axis powers

if you have a lower end laptop you will have a lower end wireless card that won't pick up the signal as good

plus i find vista (if that's what you're using) keeps dropping my signal every so often, i could be 15' away from the router and have 3-4 bars and it won't connect unless i restart my computer
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Upgrade to a N router if yours isnt....after I upgrade to a D-Link DIR-625, I've never had a dropped connection or weak signal
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Kia Sorento 2014

Upgrading to an N router will not help.. and is a complete waste of money if you have no N devices.

Trying another router couldn't hurt though, just to rule it out as the issue

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

i rmb a time when that happened...
    i think it was an ip conflict?
    so i just had to manually config the IP and for both, and then set it back to auto

i'm pretty noob at this stuff haha

Originally posted by jsn
    ^^ My router is a lynksys router, and no one was using any microwaves or phones at the time. My network adapter is a built in one so i don't think i can reinstall it. Also I've tried to "repair" it but it usually doesn't make it past the refresh IP part.
    I meant to reinstall the software for it. What type of laptop do you have? If you go to the manufacturers website and click on support or something like that you should be alble to enter in your model # and find up to date drivers. Try reinstalling the network adapter driver and make sure your BIOS is up to date...

if not change the channel from AUTO to an actual number
    i kept losing a signal being on AUTO channel, when i made my channel like 7 or 9 or w/e it hasnt dropped even once.

My Ride
    STi

Thanks for all the replies. How do I make sure my BIOS is up to date? Is that the drivers? I have a feeling that this isn't the problem though because when I'm at the U of C, I never drop signal. It's only at home.

Also, how do you know which channel you select?

It's wierd...my sister's laptop works fine and doesn't drop but my laptop and another compaq laptop we have drops everynow and then.