Quantcast
Air Canada - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Air Canada

My Ride
    06 F-150

Default Air Canada

Hey,

I am having an interview with Air Canada sometime this week for a ramp agent position.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience working for them and could give me an idea of what kind of a work environment it will be, perks, etc.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-05-2020 at 01:21 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Originally posted by Rat Fink

Honestly, Air Canada ramp rats were pretty lazy compared to other groups out there. Back when I worked at the airport the AC guys were allowed to let the plane sit out on the ramp waiting to come to the gate if it was a few minutes early. The ramp guys would be sitting inside with their thumbs up their asses until the scheduled arrival time when they would go outside and wave the plane in. That didn't happen with other groups. If the plane came in early, you brought them into the gate early. All part of the unionized bullshit I guess. There was numerous occasions where I saw planes sitting on the ramp with engines running for 15 minutes or more while the ramp guys were inside at the gate just dicking around!
    This guy must have been drinking the Westjet kool-aid. Have you got any idea what it costs to have a jet sit at the gate running per minute? I'll give you a hint, fuel is the smallest cost. So no, it's not some union B.S. to let an A/C sit at the gate, the crew was probably working another flight when the second one rolled in.
    Don't believe all the B.S. you hear. Show up for work on time, work hard, and don't run your mouth. For some reason the lazy, yappy new guys never seem to last. It's a good job, with a great group of people. Just don't believe Rat Fink's "I heard from a guy" bull and you will do fine.
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

--

(read OPs post wrong, thought he was talking about station attendants, ie bag smasher)
    Last edited by revelations; 12-03-2008 at 11:31 PM.

He was. Ramp agent is what they advertise it as, it's still the station attendant job.
    How did the interview go?
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

My Ride
    06 F-150

Went good. Pretty much guaranteed the job as long as a pass a physical/drug test sort of thing tomorrow. Seems like it could be an alrite gig, immediate travel and health benefits FTW.

My Ride
    '01 Acura CL Type S

how much is the pay?

My Ride
    06 F-150

Pay isn't great. Just $15 something to start I believe.

What kinda benefits do you get? Like Air travel wise... Discounts?

My Ride
    06 F-150

Pretty much have to just pay for the taxes on the flights. I think I priced a flight from here to Sydney, NS for about forty bucks. Travel and health benefits start immediately as of your first day of work as well.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by chathamf
    Pretty much have to just pay for the taxes on the flights. I think I priced a flight from here to Sydney, NS for about forty bucks. Travel and health benefits start immediately as of your first day of work as well.
    That's a sweet deal man

My Ride
    /85' Corolla GTS AE86 - 20V /06' X-Runner

That's awsome! You make about as much as I do - and I'm an AME Apprentice haha.

My Ride

Originally posted by 5fivespeed
    That's awsome! You make about as much as I do - and I'm an AME Apprentice haha.
    Thats scary... and one of the biggest reasons I left the aircraft biz.

My Ride

Originally posted by revelations

Thats scary... and one of the biggest reasons I left the aircraft biz.
    Depends where you go IMO. I'm just starting out in a smaller company (CMA) and the learning experience is way out there so the lower pay is okay (I'm 19). I expect to be payed with hardwork and time -- I'm also an apprentice at the moment, so it works in a way.

Learning is the best asset at this point, and I love it.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

That's awesome.... don't know what your hours will be like, but you could go somewhere amazing every weekend, provided you're working mon-friday.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Depends where you go IMO. I'm just starting out in a smaller company (CMA) and the learning experience is way out there so the lower pay is okay (I'm 19). I expect to be payed with hardwork and time -- I'm also an apprentice at the moment, so it works in a way.

CMA? which AMO is that?

i'm an apprentice AME/PRM for a new AMO @ an FTU, industry standard pay does really differ from business to business i guess, knowledge and getting your log book filled out is slightly more important IMO than $ atm.

I've been doing this since graduating this year in April from SAIT and have at least 40% of the book filled out already (ya 7 months, thats how busy we are with a fleet of 13 @ an FTU), other things i just have to wait till the inspection comes around/it fails or when the component is time x'd. Learning is everyday, as i have 2 M2s to sign my logbook, Avnx and Maintenance. Lucky i found this job..

OP. to be a ramp rat for an airline has it's benefits like you already know, welcome to the industry!, you'll hear some of the craziest/hilarious jokes about the ppl that make up this industry. Meet some of the most hardworking, dependable (unfortunately sometimes opposite) people you'll ever meet. You'll learn great nicknames like chief cookie pusher etc

^CMA=central mountain air

My Ride

I dont mean to sound overly negative, but the industry attracts people who have a passion for the job as they can pay you a lot less than you think you are worth.

However if you have a good shop with good people and work, the money isnt AS important.

I started at age 21 as a (graduated) turbine tech working in a PT6 OH shop making 14/hr - the same as a leaf blower would- and I thought too that it would get better.

After 3 years, and 18/hr (same as people working in a glass shop or pounding nails), I left for AirCanada to work on the heavy iron - and 22/hr wages - which was less than some of the bag smasher were making

Then they shut down AC Tech Ops in Vancouver and laid off a good 1000 people = good bye career #1
    Last edited by revelations; 12-10-2008 at 12:43 AM.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Yeah shop labour rates are not what they should be at some places, lower than automotive in some instances, but it's true, it's the passion for aviation moreso.. Plus airplanes are cleaner to work on by far, i mean half the fken work is cleaning it up to inspect the damn thing.

Originally posted by Lanks
    ^CMA=central mountain air
    oh nice, 1900Ds to your heart's content! don't they run 15ish of them, more than enough PT6 experience.

My Ride

Originally posted by n1zm0
    Yeah shop labour rates are not what they should be at some places, lower than automotive in some instances, but it's true, it's the passion for aviation moreso.. Plus airplanes are cleaner to work on by far, i mean half the fken work is cleaning it up to inspect the damn thing.

oh nice, 1900Ds to your heart's content! don't they run 15ish of them, more than enough PT6 experience.
    Yep, 1900D's with PT-6's. Also 2 Dornier 328's which are god like. Just immense with a 6 bladed prop. I'm graduating from SAIT in 4 months! CMA = Central Mountain Air. I actually get to work on the aircrafts, do routine maintinance as well as inspections and all. Alot of guys working during school from what I've heard did "Hangar Cleanup, Painting Trays and just inspections." (Inspections are the critical important part).

I get what you're saying @ Passion vs. Lower Pay. The way I look at it, and have planned is to open a business on the side as well. In Calgary IMO, you can't move up much into Aviation Field, that's why I'm moving to Australia to somehow get A380 experience. That won't happen fast, it'll take at least 10 years. But one day i'll service that Trent 900.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast