My Ride
    W204

Default Review: Bali Indonesian Restaurant

Located on 611 - 6th Ave SW.

Food 1/10
    Service 8/10
    Atmosphere 6/10
    Price 1/10

So just got back from lunch here. Man, what a disappointment. It's located on street level in the core. The restaurant is very large with tons of tables. I was told it fills up like crazy, but today, maybe due to the cold, it was only about 20% full. It was quiet enough to carry on a conversation without raising your voice, so that was good. But nothing about the decor really says Indonesia. It just looked really plain.

I ordered the Sea Bass with Sweet Chili Sauce. What a fucking rip. First off, it was $15. This is a great price for sea bass, but read on... It came with a tiny portion of rice (1 small Chinese bowl) and some pre-shredded carrots and lettuce (like the same kind that comes in pre-packaged bags at Superstore) with a tiny drop of some kind of weird salad dressing. The sauce was served on the side, but all it was was watered down thai sweet chili sauce. The worst part... The sea bass was not sea bass at all. It was a deep fried portion of what appeared to be regular basa fillet. So where I was expecting fish that usually sells for $15-$20/lb in supermarkets, I got cat fish/basa that sells at $1.99. And to top it off, the batter part was chewy, which leads to believe that this piece of fish was pre-fried ahead of time. I actually had to use my fork and spoon to break it up (no knives are given).

My dining partner had the coconut beef and he says he quite enjoyed it, but what I saw, it was not worth the $14 for the tiny portion size that he got. But he really liked the taste and enjoyed his meal.

Anyway, as for myself, I won't be returning. At first I was quite excited, but my enthusiasm waned quickly. At least the waitress was nice (though I think she was Chinese -- which would explain everything about the food haha), and the service was prompt and food came out quickly (read pre-fried comment though).

Overall I'd give it 2
    Last edited by clem24; 12-03-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I've been there twice and loved it both times. Amazing service too

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I watched a cook come running out of there covered in blood and hit the cement and another one chasing him with a knife. blood everywhere lol

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

Originally posted by JfuckinC
    I watched a cook come running out of there covered in blood and hit the cement and another one chasing him with a knife. blood everywhere lol
    Haha. I remember that.

It used to be called Passions Vietnamese, then for some reason they changed the name to Bali (new ownership perhaps) and it hasn't been the same since. I used to like it and would go there quite often. Haven't been back in a couple years though.

There are many better Vietnamese/Thai/etc restaurants in that area. Skip this one.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Default Re: Review: Bali Indonesian Restaurant

Originally posted by clem24
    At least the waitress was nice (though I think she was Chinese -- which would explain everything about the food haha)
    lol most likely, like when i brought the fams to Malay Wok way back when and i asked for pulled tea in malay, the guy was like uhhhhh ...

totally not authentic malay, i guarantee you i can goto this bali restaurant and order in malay (indonesians speak malay) and they wont know wtf to say.

i'll try this place this weekend and tell you all the truth! lol

Originally posted by viff3r

There are many better Vietnamese/Thai/etc restaurants in that area. Skip this one.
    which ones are you talking about??? I hate the two viet. places on +15 close to that fifth&fifth food court.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Ha I remember when I was working down town and saw the two chefs being dragged out of the restraunt covered in blood and being arrested. They apparently attacked each other in the kitchen with knives.