Quantcast
found this interesting... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: found this interesting...

Default found this interesting...

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/...67386-sun.html

In an effort to make the province's roads and highways safer, RCMP in Alberta are no longer engaging in high-speed pursuits when drivers suspected of minor offences flee from police.

In place for nearly two months now, the policy change was made as part of a regular review, said Insp. James Stiles, officer in charge of K Division traffic services.

"Sometimes we have in the past been engaged in pursuits for what some people would term less serious offences and they've had some pretty catastrophic consequences," said Stiles.

"We've had police officers hurt, we've had suspects that have been driving these vehicles hurt and or killed, and we've also had innocent people hurt or killed as a result of police pursuits."

Drivers in stolen vehicles, said Stiles, are the most likely to take off when a cop car gets behind them with its lights flashing.

"Our new policy now discourages pursuing a stolen vehicle, just for the sole purpose that it's stolen," he said, adding the new policy won't give drivers of stolen cars a free pass.

"Obviously if somebody is in a stolen vehicle and is impaired or has been involved in other criminal activity, then there's no strict prohibition from engaging or not engaging, there's all kinds of factors that will come into play.

"All pursuit policies have a balance or risk assessment portion so our members can have the policies and tools in place so they can judge if something is getting way too risky, as far as public safety goes, for the benefits of criminal apprehension."

The policy, which came into effect about two months after a Mountie was rammed by a car attempting to flee cops, is much like the one used by the Calgary Police Service.

In that July 31 chase, Mounties were in pursuit of a vehicle being driven by a man allegedly seen throwing rocks at vehicles along the QE II Hwy. near Red Deer.

The car dodged a spike belt near Innisfail and hit the officer before being disabled by a spike belt near Olds.

Kenneth Janzen is facing an attempted murder charge in connection with the incident.

High-speed pursuits, said Stiles, aren't very common in Alberta as most people stop when police signal them to.

"We literally do thousands and thousands of interactions and vehicles stops with the public every day and we do not engage ourselves in very many pursuits at all," he said.

"Most people when they're caught, and this goes even as far as stolen vehicles, when the police are behind them and attempt to pull them over, they pull over.

"They don't run and they don't create that risk."

During a pursuit, said Stiles, along with the police cruisers chasing the suspect vehicle, another officer oversees the operation to make sure safety is paramount.

"We have a supervisor in a position removed from the pursuit who assists in the ongoing risk assessment," said Stiles.

The policy will be examined and could be adopted elsewhere if it proves successful.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

CPS has been doing this for a long time now. They just tell the cruisers to back off and get HAWCS overhead

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

This is a very tough call. Letting stolen vehicles go is like an open invitation to do the crime imo.

On the other hand, they are doing this for the safety of all involved, which I understand.

HAWCS can't focus on more than one incident at a time and takes some time to get to the particular area. Not likely to help much if the cops are not tailing the suspect....

I really think they should let it be up to the cop to assess the situation. If it's on an open road, then why not persue? If it's a heavily populated residential road, then sure... let them go and catch them another time.

My Ride
    Kirov, rx-7

Why don't the rcmp have a copter?

My Ride
    BMW 135i

Kinda reminds me of that Canadian Police Chase video hahah.
    "looks kinda like a hair cul-de-sac"

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by semograd
    It would be difficult to utilize with the vast spaces. It would be a lot of land to cover.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Tomaz

It would be difficult to utilize with the vast spaces. It would be a lot of land to cover.
    What are you guys talking about? Calgary police have had a heli since 1995. Hawc1 they call it.

They are looking to finalize remaining funds to get a brand new one too.

Originally posted by Kloubek

What are you guys talking about? Calgary police have had a heli since 1995. Hawc1 they call it.

They are looking to finalize remaining funds to get a brand new one too.
    We have two brand new choppers... he was talking about the RCMP. They have helicopters, but they don't use them the same way we do.

My Ride
    Kirov, rx-7

In what way do they use them, and if there were high speed chases wouldn't it be smart for them to do as the cps do?

In what way do they use them, and if there were high speed chases wouldn't it be smart for them to do as the cps do?
    your forgetting that the RCMP watches the entire country... say they have 3 copters... lets say... one in Van, one in Toronto, and one in Calgary...

what happens if there is a chase by edmonton?

there isnt enough funding to put a chopper in every area that they watch.

Have a friend who is an RCMP in Armstrong and they use the 'coptor for checking on the drug pads/farms in and around the area. Can't say that it is full time thing, but he has been up in it a few times.

They will scan heat signatures and figure out which houses they should start watching to collect evidence on so they can eventually get a warrent.

Thats one use I guess.. I am sure there are more.

Originally posted by kutt3r

Have a friend who is an RCMP in Armstrong and they use the 'coptor for checking on the drug pads/farms in and around the area. Can't say that it is full time thing, but he has been up in it a few times.

They will scan heat signatures and figure out which houses they should start watching to collect evidence on so they can eventually get a warrent.

From my understanding, that is what they mostly use them for. I know the larger urban detachments like Surrey have their own, but I'm not 100% up to date on the numbers or what they exactly do. I have talked with some former RCMP members who advise me that they rarely use their choppers for pursuits - and I think that is to do with the geographical area that they police and the amount of manpower/equipment they would have to provide in order to cover it.

Originally posted by kutt3r

If I were RCMP I would be using the chopper to pick up chicks

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by 88jbody

If I were RCMP I would be using the chopper to pick up chicks

Anyway, that is a lot of land to cover with limited facilities, short range, and with long response times. For the RCMP to have helicopters, it would be very costly and ineffective. It would never reach the effectiveness of the CPS helicopters.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

It's too bad they're not allowed to shoot and kill a positively identified car theif.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Then you complain about your taxes

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Because tazers don't come with long enough leads.

Because Timmy's don't have helipads.

Because the Captain won't let you drive the helicopter home drunk.

Because there's nowhere to store your double-double
    and Boston creme.

Because helicopters don't come with Crown Victoria-sized bench seats.

Fuck , I should send this to Letterman..

My Ride
    s13

Originally posted by fast95pony

Because tazers don't come with long enough leads.

Because Timmy's don't have helipads.

Because the Captain won't let you drive the helicopter home drunk.

Because there's nowhere to store your double-double
    and Boston creme.

Because helicopters don't come with Crown Victoria-sized bench seats.

Fuck , I should send this to Letterman..
    no you really should not...

I agree with the safety aspect, I would assume all of us do but it will be very difficult to deter criminal activity when we are nearly condoning it.

we need a bit more information about what they will do instead of chasing....
    Originally posted by know1edge
    Trollception. MGCM used CapnCrunch's troll and inverted that troll attempt into another troll attempt getting ya'll to believe that he's serious... However, maybe ya'll are trollceptioning me into believing that you believe him. What you don't know is that I was trollceptioning ya'll into believing that I believed you believed the OP that believed CapnCrunch.