Quantcast
Merc C350 4matic vs. Audi A5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Merc C350 4matic vs. Audi A5

Default Merc C350 4matic vs. Audi A5

hello all... I'm considering buying a new vehicle. I have yet to test drive either, and i realize test driving is the best way to answer questions... however i'd rather get some more opinions before going into a dealership.

So it came down to the '09 MB C350 4matic vs. '09 Audi's A5.

basically an auto sedan vs. manuel coupe. both all wheel drive, running on similar specs, both V6's running about 268 hp, 250 lb torque and around same weight. both around 55K with options.

i'm not really willing to spend much more than that. purchasing an m3, c63, rs4 would be wicked but doesn't seem ideal to me. speed is fun... but i don't go to the track and i don't think i would even be able to have fun and push a car like that to anywhere near it's limits in cgy. not interested in the new acura models and the IS seems too similar to my mum's camry. i own an x3 so i stayed away from bmw because sitting in a 3 series feels almost exactly the same to me.. not that it's bad thing but i wanted something a little more different.

Anyone with any experience with the two cars or companies? I've never owned a car from either so i'm a little worried about reliability/dependability, interior functionality, overall performance, drive experience as well as how they treat their customers. bang olufsen vs. harman kardon? 4MATIC vs. Quattro? rumors about '10 models?

Opinions please!

Last edited by tragik; 12-11-2008 at 03:43 AM.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Default Re: Merc C350 4matic vs. Audi A5

Originally posted by tragik
    basically an auto sedan vs. manuel coupe
    This right here would make the decision for me. If you don't need a sedan, a coupe almost always looks better (especially in this case). Plus the option of having a manual with the Audi.

Lack of a manual transmission is what would keep me out of the Benz personally. Otherwise it would be really close (if it was sedan vs sedan).

My Ride
    Bicycle

If you don't mind the wait list, A5. Build to delivery is 6 months last time I asked. Don't just compare it on specs. Go sit in an A5 and you'll wonder why C is even a luxury brand at all.

I really wish they release A5 2.0T to North America, the same unit in the current A4. It's way better than the 3.2L.

My Ride
    300 Limited

I would personally go with the A5. My opinion is based mostly on looks and what I know of brand reliability. As you mentioned, performance is similar between the two. I would suggest that you go and test drive both and make a decision after. It might just come down to how you like the interior/appearance.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    oooo

Quattro > 4matic

You will love your car in the winter too!

oooo FTW
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

The C is one of the nicest looking sedans out there, WAY nicer than the BMW counterpart and nicer than the A4 but the A5 is also a sexy coupe and the only comparable in MB is an old design and way more money.

Make the decision based on the need for 2 or 4 doors.

PS Quattro isn't better than 4-matic anymore, maybe back in the 80s it was.

I don't know how important this is to you in your decision making but Bang & Olufsen is used exclusively in Audi's and Aston Martins (iirc)... and they're rumoured to be pretty darn good.

Harmon Kardon is one of the most known brands when it comes to audio, however...the new Hyundai Genesis also has one.

As far as the looks are concerned...the two cars are in a totally different category. The MB is a very sexy 4 door car and I would prefer that over an A4... but the A5 is a ridiculously sexy coupe and MB does not have anything in the same price range to compare. I have seen an A5 in person downtown a while back and it looks amazing. It looks good in pictures but the pics don't do the car any justice...it looks ten times better in person. So if you like the pics.. you will love the car.

268 hp is more than enough if you don't plan on driving like a maniac. My mom's G35 has 280 hp and is fast enough for having some fun now and then. However, I think in this hp range you would have way more driving fun if you got the manual A5 over the auto MB. It's way more fun IMO. Of course, it depends on how you like to drive...especially if you drive downtown a lot.

Both are very nice cars. I think you really need to decide what you want. They really are different cars. Coupe's are nice but not as practical as sedan's.

I personally really like the C350 4matic. In fact, if you decide on this car let me know. I"m looking at getting one very soon so maybe we can get a better deal if we both buy at the same time
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    92 Civic Si

+1 for the C350

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

My opinion should hold little merit as I have neither driven, nor considered buying either.

But, my 2 cents, is towards the A5. I see you already have a utilitarian automatic (BMW X3), so why not have the other as the more "let your hair down a bit" manual?

The C is one of the sexiest sedans out there, but my VAG fanboyism shines through here!
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC.

I think you get it.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Based on looks alone, the Audi A5/S5 is amazing.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

A5 looks intense. Plus manual...
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Axis powers

A5 is pure sex
    when i was in vancouver last week i saw at least 4 or 5 and they're damn nice

i can't say i have seen any here though
    Sig nuked by mod.

why don't you compare the B8 A4 as well? it's a bit cheaper than the A5 but only comes in a tiptronic like the c350.. and the A3 S-line is quattro w/ 250hp

as expected.... a lot of mixed reviews however not a lot of negatives about either, which is what i think i was looking for.. i know they are both nice now tell me what's wrong with them! lol

i'm leaning towards the A5. a really good point being made that as already having an "utilitarian automatic" it only makes sense to have a sportier manuel as the other.

now the rumors and opinions.... i've also heard great things about bang & olufsen while a lot of mixed reviews about the harmon kardon. heard better things about quattro than 4Matic. as for the interior - audi has been described as true luxury styling while merc's interior descrbed as limited to look ricey, cheap and full of hard plastics. the audi's mmi system and COMAND system in merc are both user friendly, however mercs pop-up screen may be annoying as it may distract line of sight. Merc is still using an old fashion foot brake and a manually operated steering column. Mercs history with reliability is worse than Audi's (however with both cars being completely new models, it's somewhat hard to say i guess?). I do realize i'll find out the truth behind these opinions as soon as i go for that test drive, but for anyone that has owned or been in the merc or audi, any thoughts or experiences? agree/disagree?

A3 has an S-line? I agree, the B8 A4 is a better comparison for the C350 and is basically the 4 door auto version of the S5 but if i'm going to go in that direction i doubt i'll ever make a decision due to their similarity. if we cut it down, the audi A5 is basically the C350 as a manuel coupe.

with that being said, i guess it may really come down to a 4dr auto vs. a 2 dr stick. in which case, my decision is still weighted towards the A5.

now... 6 month wait for A5?! should i wait for '10 then???? or perhaps the lines will even be longer by then. i will phone in and confirm this...

anybody actually purchase these or any cars from audi or merc? how was the customer service? servicing convenience? do they budge on pricing at all? problems or recalls?
    Last edited by tragik; 12-11-2008 at 03:54 AM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Originally posted by tragik
    only makes sense to have a sportier manuel as the other.

For sure! The sportier manuel is way faster at shoveling snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

jibber is offline slower than rage2 at the track
    My Ride
    2021 K1X FB20D GT Sport, 2012 K23 N50 VQ40 SV

I would pick the Merc, not because I own a car made by Mercedes, but because it seems to be the opinion overseas (Top Gear) that douchebag drivers have moved from driving BMWs to driving Audis.
    Originally posted by RoseLover
    if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

My Ride
    SDS Lambo's and nbaker wild

A5. so gorgeous and Audi has slowly crept up to being more reliable than it was in the 90's... get inside one and you'll wonder why anyone loves a Benz interior.

i recently purchased an 09 A3 S-line 2.0T with quattro .. and im blown away with the build quality of this vehicle as well as the interior as for reliabilty and what not i don think i can really say anythign about it casue ive only had the car for 2 months but other than that if the A3 is this good then the A5 can only be better

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast