Quantcast
Suzuki out of WRC, Subaru expected to pull out tomorrow - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki out of WRC, Subaru expected to pull out tomorrow

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Suzuki out of WRC, Subaru expected to pull out tomorrow

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssC...20627520081215

With Suzuki and Subaru out, only Citroen left for manufacturer teams. With Ford in trouble (the other 3 teams are private Ford teams), it means that there may be no WRC at all next year.

Another one gone... bye bye WRC... bye bye motorsports .

Who's next?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

hm... could this be a move in the footsteps of Honda? One big manufacturer has pulled out in forseeing bad times ahead, so other manufacturers feel they should also or at ease with doing it now?

where did it say subaru is expected to pull out? link?

if it does happen tomorrow, please post a link!

well Honda did state that they would save 900+ million dollars from pulling out.. so I wouldn't blame any other car manufacturer for following in their footsteps with the way the economy is right now
    Originally posted by 5000Audi
    Btw never paid for a massage before.. i own, i mean have a wife

My Ride
    NOYB.

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    where did it say subaru is expected to pull out? link?

if it does happen tomorrow, please post a link!
    Like I said on Nabisco, warm up that fat lady, FIA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ly/7785299.stm

BBC News

Subaru pull out of world rallying

Subaru have become the latest team to withdraw from next year's World Rally Championship as the economic downturn continues to hit motorsport hard.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Thx for the link, I went to sleep before the official announcement.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

That is a huge blow for the WRC. I used to be a big fan back in the day, now that companies are dropping out of motorsports at such a rate, makes you wonder what will happen.

My Ride
    Audi

PRESS RELEASE

FHI to withdraw from FIA WRC after 2008 season

Tokyo, December 16, 2008 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced the withdrawal from the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) at the end of the 2008 season.

FHI has participated in the WRC together with Prodrive, a motorsports and automotive engineering group in the UK, over the past 19 years to pursue its goal and philosophy in motor sports activities to enhance Subaru brand awareness by showing that Subaru vehicles offer safe, comfortable and pleasurable driving no matter the weather or road conditions, featuring Horizontally-Opposed engine and the Symmetrical All-Wheel drive system as its core technologies, and to transfer results of race-tested technical improvements into Subaru passenger vehicles.

Subaru has won three manufacturer's championship titles and three driver's championship titles in its history of rally racing. This has helped enhance the value of the Subaru brand as well as the sales expansion of Subaru vehicles all over the world.

FHI considers it has achieved its original target in WRC participation. However, while considering positioning the WRC activity in Subaru branding strategy towards the future, our business environment has been dramatically changed due to the quick deterioration of the global economy. In order to optimize the management resources and to strengthen further the Subaru brand, FHI decided to withdraw from WRC activities at the earliest timing.

As regards future involvement in rally activities, FHI will continue to support teams and drivers that participate in P-WRC or the Group N category.

President Mori commented that reaching this decision has been an extremely difficult task, not least with regards to the countless Subaru fans that for many years have cheered the legendary Subaru blue liveried Impreza World Rally Car; "We would like to express our sincere appreciation for our fans' strong and loyal support worldwide. They will remain an invaluable treasure for us."

Capitalizing on the priceless experience gained throughout the history in the WRC field, FHI will continue to offer Subaru customers products that integrate sheer excitement, safe, comfortable and reliable driving, respect of the global environment and peace of mind based on its philosophy of "Customer comes first."

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Wow, sad day for motorsports

I hope WRC doesn't go under, it's the only thing us Frenchies are good at
    Last edited by Eleanor; 12-16-2008 at 09:49 AM.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

DAMNIT

Anyone else think this will actually end up costing them more as rallying, specifically the WRC really helped bring attention to the cars and probably brought more sales than they will save?

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
    DAMNIT

Anyone else think this will actually end up costing them more as rallying, specifically the WRC really helped bring attention to the cars and probably brought more sales than they will save?
    For Subaru especially, WRC was a major influence for people to buy their cars..look at ford, suzuki and subaru commercials...ALL of them show WRC footage to promote their vehicles... i dont see it being a big positive for any of the makers. But in times of economic uncertainty, you do what you have to do to cut costs....
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

EM1FTW is offline I'm a fag because only fags love Hondas
    My Ride
    EM1 yo!

I really hope WRC doesnt go under

that would be a very sad day for motorsports indeed
    Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Kinda like this morning when I wanted to tell my GF to pass the sugar and it came out "You fucking bitch, you've ruined my life."

My Ride
    Bicycle

The funny thing is, NASCAR seems to be ok even when the Big 3 are close to bankruptcy.

Terrible end to WRC
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

I think Subaru is trying to get away from the whole WRC image and to get more "boring" and mainstream like Toyota.

That is also why the current WRX looks the way it looks.

WRC will survive but they will probably put more restricted spec car classes in place to cut costs and still keep everything entertaining.

Look for cars to go slower for a few months/year until the economy gets better and then they'll all get back in the game.

Wow , that really sucks , bye bye WRC... Hmmm maybe WRX's and STis will start to look like normal cars now lol?
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

So will David Richards now pursue the Honda F1 team, since he is out of WRC next year?

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Nooooooo!

I can understand why they're doing it, just like Honda with F1 but it's just sad to see. Subaru and WRC go hand in hand. They'll be back.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    The funny thing is, NASCAR seems to be ok even when the Big 3 are close to bankruptcy.
    LOL that is kind of strange now if you think about it that way. I am guessing most of the funding comes from advertising, but I do imagine NASCAR still costs the manufacturers a pretty penny or two.

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

Just read about this on autoblog, pretty insane and yes it's a sad day for Subaru

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast