Filipinos Canada's largest immigrant group - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipinos Canada's largest immigrant group

Default Filipinos Canada's largest immigrant group

Filipinos top the immigrant and temporary-worker lists
    Article Comments (14) MARINA JIMÉNEZ

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

December 17, 2008 at 4:57 AM EST

For the first time, the Philippines has become Canada's largest source country for immigrants and temporary workers combined, signalling an important shift in immigration patterns.

China has been the No. 1 source country for several years; but as its economy soared, it was surpassed by the Philippines, which sent 19,064 immigrants and 15,254 temporary workers to Canada in 2007.

Permanent residents from China, while still the most numerous, decreased by one-third between 2005 and 2007, while immigrants from India, the second-largest group, dropped by 20 per cent in this period. Permanent residents from the Philippines are the third-largest group, and their numbers have more than doubled in the past decade. In 2007, more Filipinos arrived in Canada as temporary workers than any other nationality, except for Americans.

Jack Jedwab, executive director of the Association for Canadian Studies, attributes the increase to Canada's new focus on temporary workers, and the influx of Filipinos who have filled caregiving and service-sector jobs in Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta.

"Fewer Chinese workers are coming in because of the economic boom there, and we are filling service-sector jobs with Filipinos," said Mr. Jedwab, who analyzed the data, released earlier this month by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Altogether, Canada admitted 236,758 permanent residents last year and 115,470 temporary workers. The latter category has steadily increased in recent years, nearly doubling since 1998. The number of immigrants fluctuates between about 200,000 and 250,000 a year.

Despite their numeric significance, Filipinos have a low profile in Canada. They are primarily focused on sending their salaries to their families back home, said Flordeliz Dandal, executive director of the Kababayan Community Centre in Toronto, a newcomer-settlement group.

"Most Filipinos who come to Canada are really motivated to work and then send their salaries back home," she said. "They don't care about politics, and they don't yet have time to engage in Canadian political life unless they have been here a long time."

The Filipino community is still in transition, Mr. Jedwab agreed, and is focused more on family reunification and economic survival than on building a profile in its adopted homeland.

Most temporary workers from the Philippines are teachers, nurses and caregivers, and two-thirds are women. Last month in the Philippines, 89,000 people took the professional board exam for nursing, many with an eye to obtaining employment overseas, Ms. Dandal said.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

ayoooos lang...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

"Most Filipinos who come to Canada are really motivated to work and then send their salaries back home"

true. Trying to import roughly 400 workers from the Phillipines but the process takes about 12-18months. Hard working and are usually longer term employees.

Someone has to marry all the fat white guys.

My Ride
    Lexus IS

Originally posted by QuasarCav

AhahahahahahAHHAHA!

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

^^^ as stated on another thread, white peeps and flips produces good looking offsprings! Consider yourself lucky!

Almost all immigrants and contract workers regardless of race, comes to canada to improve their lives. I think one of the reasons why Flips are currently in demand is because:

1. Speak and understand English
    2. Hard working
    3. Friendly
    4. Hospitable
    5. Awesome in Potlucks!
    6. Will work any dirty job you want him/her to do.

Props to the FLIP bradah in Macdonalds Barlow. I noticed this week when the weather is bad, he's out shoveling and getting rid of ice diligently.

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    "Most Filipinos who come to Canada are really motivated to work and then send their salaries back home"

true. Trying to import roughly 400 workers from the Phillipines but the process takes about 12-18months. Hard working and are usually longer term employees.
    most of them yeah, haha they are hardworking though. quite the horny bunch too, always gawking at girls

HAHAHAHAHAHAH gay and straight marriages included hahaha

My Ride
    Axis powers

i was talking to one of my flip roommates who is here as a contract worker.. he's doing some kitchen stuff somewhere

he said he makes more in a day working here, then he did in a month working back home and yet he's only taking home like ~700 or so every 2 weeks
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My neighbor is working on starting a staff agency specialized in importing his own people here.

His target is mostly IT and Medical. They are pumping out tons of RN out in Philippines.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Someone should open up a magic mic store, quick!

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

^^^ Hahaha! That's not even a bad idea!

Originally posted by Zephyr

My Ride
    05 Altima , 92 Civic Si HB

Make sure its beside Adam C's house.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by Ske7ches

Make sure its beside Adam C's house.

Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by adam c
    i was talking to one of my flip roommates who is here as a contract worker.. he's doing some kitchen stuff somewhere

he said he makes more in a day working here, then he did in a month working back home and yet he's only taking home like ~700 or so every 2 weeks

Minimum wage is the equivalent of $10/day.

If you're lucky.

EDIT

http://www.nwpc.dole.gov.ph/pages/ncr/cmwr_table.html
    For the capital region

http://www.nwpc.dole.gov.ph/pages/st..._regional.html
    General wages

=====================

Some wage rates to give you a perspective. And that's the government's measurement of what daily minimum wage should be. It can go WAY lower.

Live rates at 2008.12.18 01:28:12 UTC (xe.com)

1 CAD = 39.2379 PHP
    Last edited by flipstah; 12-17-2008 at 07:29 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by DENZILDON
    ^^^ as stated on another thread, white peeps and flips produces good looking offsprings! Consider yourself lucky!
    So true! Some of the hottest halfers come from Flip/Caucasian combos.

Originally posted by DENZILDON
    Almost all immigrants and contract workers regardless of race, comes to canada to improve their lives. I think one of the reasons why Flips are currently in demand is because:

1. Speak and understand English
    2. Hard working
    3. Friendly
    4. Hospitable
    5. Awesome in Potlucks!
    6. Will work any dirty job you want him/her to do.
    True that on all accounts. Kinda helps that our people were raped and pillaged by the Spanish, Japanese and the Americans to help satisfy those traits.

My Ride
    VAG products

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    ayoooos lang...
    lol

Calgary has so many filipino's. We are going to need a Manila Ave. equipped with Jollibee's, Goldilocks and shit like that.. just like in LA

My Ride
    2022 X2M

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by pf0sh0

lol

Calgary has so many filipino's. We are going to need a Manila Ave. equipped with Jollibee's, Goldilocks and shit like that.. just like in LA
    It's not profitable to have these restaurants open in Calgary because there's no direct flights from the Philippines to Calgary (their products are flown in directly to stores from beef patties to buns.)

Yet.

These are gold mines and this is the reason why they haven't open one.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by flipstah

So true! Some of the hottest halfers come from Flip/Caucasian combos.
    I told my girl we'll have beautiful offspring. I'm sticking to that theory until we have an ugly kid. lol

Really though, I am not surprised. Our immigration laws make it quite easy for Flips to come over and work here.... usually in the form of nannying from what I've seen. Like any human beings, you're going to have the ones that come over, see what we have, and try to horde to get everything they can as they are not used to such wealth back home. But for the most part, I've found Flips to be extremely hard working, and appreciative of the opportunity Canada has presented for them. And yes - almost all of them send money back home... which is a pretty obvious testiment to their general character.

Some may flame me for saying so, and I really don't give a shit. But GENERALLY speaking, I find Flip women to be much more devoted and accomodating to their men than caucasian girls. This is not to say I want a woman I can walk on - my girl is nothing like that and even if she was I wouldn't take advantage of her anyway. But what I receive from her in commitment, lovingness, and overall relationship security is beyond anything I've experienced in girls born and bred in Canada.

It's interesting to me that a country that is so poor and has such a corrupt government also has an exceptionally moral and kind population for the most part. (Muslim extremists excluded) Usually this combination amounts to violent and immoral citizens instead.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast