Quantcast
Behind the Wheel - If You Can't See, You Can't Go! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Behind the Wheel - If You Can't See, You Can't Go!

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

Default Behind the Wheel - If You Can't See, You Can't Go!

A reader writes to me describing an intersection where collisions occur regularly, some resulting in fatalities. He has observed that the opposing left turn lanes in one direction don't line up directly across from each other but are offset by a few feet. The result is that through traffic in one direction is more obscured by standing vehicles than it is in the other. To complicate matters, one direction has a protected left turn signal and the other direction does not.

The reader is sure that this highway design has contributed to collisions at the intersection and he wants to do something about it. He has written to the Ministry of Transportation suggesting that the lanes be repainted so that they line up directly across from each other. The Ministry has declined to do this stating that they would rather wait for the funding to install a protected turn arrow for the other direction.

Ideally, both should be done in the reader's view and he was seeking advice on who to contact to try and effect the changes. He suggested ICBC and I would add the local MLA and city council to the list of people to try and influence. It would not be out of the question to have a service club fund an engineering report to support the request. I expect that could be accomplished without too much expense.

Regardless of the state of this intersection, one of the major problems here is left turn drivers who insist on turning even though they cannot see well enough to insure that their turn is safe. Simply put, if you can't see, you can't turn.

Enter the intersection and wait, wheels pointing straight ahead. If traffic volume doesn't allow full view, wait for the light to turn red and after all traffic has stopped complete your left turn. You have right of way over all other traffic to clear the intersection if you do this. Also, ignore drivers behind you that would like to force the issue. They can wait for the next cycle of the light and follow your example.

Reference Links
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel at http://www.drivesmartbc.ca

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

im assuming he is talking about 36th street and 8th Ave SE in forestlawn/forest hights... thats a pretty hurting intersection..

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

there's SO many intersections like that
    ie 64th ave & 4st NW

on another note
    i hate turning left from john laurie onto charleswood
    that stupid sign:

is frickin right in your way
    whereas the cars behind you can see perfectly well so they get pissed when you can't turn cuz you can't see

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Center street south, turning left to 16th east is bloody scary, I wait till yellow before I move.

You always see people, especially women creep into the oncoming lane to attempt a near-suicidal left turn attempt.

These difficult left hand turns also encourage red light turns, which continue well past green for opposing traffic.

People need to learn patience, and how to make a safe left turn.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Originally posted by jwslam
    on another note
    i hate turning left from john laurie onto charleswood
    that stupid sign (image) is frickin right in your way
    whereas the cars behind you can see perfectly well so they get pissed when you can't turn cuz you can't see
    Yes! I hate that stupid sign, they should move it farther up the hill a bit. That turn always has so many people queued up that it makes it impossible to turn left from charleswood onto NB john laurie during eve rush hr too. A light could be warranted...

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by 5000Audi
    im assuming he is talking about 36th street and 8th Ave SE in forestlawn/forest hights... thats a pretty hurting intersection..
    Or maybe with the talk of ICBC and the location listed as being in BC, he isn't.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

It's actually a main intersection in Courtenay, B.C. but in a case like this the same rule of thumb applies.

We've had some discussion on other boards about Ontario prohibiting you from entering an intersection unless you can clear it without stopping but that appears to apply only when there is a bylaw to that effect and you aren't turning.
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel at http://www.drivesmartbc.ca

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by a social dsease

Yes! I hate that stupid sign, they should move it farther up the hill a bit. That turn always has so many people queued up that it makes it impossible to turn left from charleswood onto NB john laurie during eve rush hr too. A light could be warranted...
    i really don't think a light is necessary if they just move that GD sign!

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by jwslam

i really don't think a light is necessary if they just move that GD sign!
    Beyond meet to cut down the sign?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by skidmark
    It's actually a main intersection in Courtenay, B.C. but in a case like this the same rule of thumb applies.
    Are you kidding me?

If someone's complaining about any road in the valley (except maybe 17th street bridge) , they should try driving in a real city, then they'll stop their bitching.
    Guess that's what happens when you get half of the countries retired people on one island though.

I honestly thought this thread would be about the morons who don't wait for their windshield to defrost, or completely clear their car of snow, before hitting the streets.