Quantcast
Death to Motorsports: Recession & it's Impact on Motorsports - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Death to Motorsports: Recession & it's Impact on Motorsports

My Ride
    987 - G35xS - Skyline - RX350

Exclamation Death to Motorsports: Recession & it's Impact on Motorsports

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

It’s beginning to feel a lot like…a recession.

Yes, sure it’s Christmas, a time for giving and spreading holiday cheer. But unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for the last half a year, you’ll know that the economy is gone to hell in a hand basket and everyone is holding onto their finances like a fat kid holding onto his delicious molten chocolate cake.

I’m sure you’ve heard in recent news all the business jargon only an Ivy League business school keener could comprehend. Global recession, interest rate cuts, housing market slump, Bear market, economic bust, oh no my house is being repossessed due to financial troubles…

It’s sad really, and I sympathize for all those affected adversely in these situations. But I never could have guessed that the recession would have hit and eventually affect even the most unlikely aspects of our lives.

As a carguy (on Beyond) and a car guy at heart, it pains me to see the recession finally begin to sink its teeth slowly into my own hobbies and my passions in life. One of these passions? Motorsports. I know we live in Southern Alberta and not exactly motor city of the world. Nor are we driving distance from Tsukba Circuit or Nurburgring, but we sure got Racecity Speedway (kinda) Kananaskis Rallys and well that’s it really.

On the chopping block, automotive manufacturers pulling out of their long term commitments with their respective Motorsports programs. It's been a sad week for Motorsports, it's not only about the timing though. It's the whole principle for pulling out. First all their development and new technologies are born, bred and refined on the track. For a manufacturer to pull out is depriving themselves the chance to do so. (In terms of what the global media perceives anyways, they may still find innovations through their own testing) Motorsports is also a way to spread brand recognition and is plain and simple a form of advertising. Subaru has been well known for it's involvement in WRC and that in itself has helped shaped its corporate image as a car company. So now there's no affiliation with Prodrive, WRC or even rally, I mean well, Subaru has to do something to set themselves apart.

Same with Audi. For decades Audi and the Le Mans Series have gone hand in hand. When you think Le Mans or ALMS, which manufacturer comes to mind really? (In my mind besides MAZDA spanking the Euros once upon a time *evil laughter)

And yeah Honda pulling out of F1 is a shame, same with Suzuki from WRC, but with them it's not like they were really well known for their connections to those affiliations. Subaru ties with WRC were huge, as were Audi with Le Mans.

I know it's not cheap and with economic conditions 40 degrees below crap. I understand why manufacturers have to cut unnecessary spending.

I am just such a huge fan of Motorsports & that's why I feel really strongly on this topic. It doesn't take a Subaru fan to be saddened by this.

So who’s really left in the WRC now a day?
    Citroen, Ford? Ford’s continued presence in the WRC, does that even matter?
    Is anyone feeling a strong urge to drop by a Ford dealership and go buy a FOCUS today because you just saw the “BP” sponsored (company pride I know lol) greenish one on the WRC the other night on the tele? Does anyone feel a strong urge to put a brand new Focus in your garage as a Christmas present? Do you even want a North American produced Focus? LMAO. Anyways people, focus… The point I’m trying to make. Subaru has such strong ties with WRC, Audi a strong and lasting relationship with Le Mans. It’s a shame to see these long term relationships ended because of global recession. Death to Motorsports may be in many ways a bit harsh, but it sure helps drive the idea home.

All I want for Christmas is to see the World Rally Blue Subby jump crests and powersliding in the dirt.

With the snow falling outside, my half decorated Christmas tree still in the process of being put up, and visions of sugar plum fairies stomping the TSX and NASDAQ forecasts down to ice cold levels.

It’s beginning to feel a lot like...Christmas…

Last edited by carguy; 12-24-2008 at 10:40 AM.

CT

My Ride
    has three pedals.

I agree completely. Motorsports has taken a HUGE hit.

Spyker is also selling its team, and a HUGE ONE - Ferrari leaving if the standardized engine gets approved (which I think it did, with Cosworth getting the contract).

The canadian grand prix was cancelled for the 2009 calendar as well as the French grand prix!

And when I heard Subaru left the WRC, it's like Boeing leaving the skies.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Actually, Ford's success with the Focus in WRC really did help influence my decision to buy one. And I wear a BP>>Ford World Rally Team jacket from England. I may be an anomaly though as every Focus on the road is driven by old people.
    And my experiences with the Focus influenced my decision to buy a Ford Flex despite the Flex having nothing to do with WRC.
    Weird, eh?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by scat19
    I agree completely. Motorsports has taken a HUGE hit.

Spyker is also selling its team, and a HUGE ONE - Ferrari leaving if the standardized engine gets approved (which I think it did, with Cosworth getting the contract).

The canadian grand prix was cancelled for the 2009 calendar as well as the French grand prix!
    A little behind on the F1 news there buddy...

Spyker == Force India McLaren. Spyker sold to Force India in 2006.

Cost cutting changes no standard engine, but a standard engine package based on current regs will be made available to teams for cheap. Engine changes include 4 races per engine, less testing, and 18,000rpm rev limits (vs 19,000 last year). No turbo engines, nothing new for 3 yrs.

Canadian GP wasn't really cancelled, we just didn't have the money to pay for the fee to host the race. US and Cdn GP will be back though (prob by 2010)... manufacturers are looking at putting money into it because they need it for north american advertising market.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I am not claiming to be an expert, but wouldn't this open the sports more for the weekend warriors/privateers to actually have a chance without having to compete with the big $$$ teams?
    (Not so much for F1, but WRC)

I understand that development might take a hit...but the racing would still be there...

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Good post, good read and very sad but true

I've always been a WRC fan and a HUGE fan of Subaru's and their involvement in the WRC. When I heard the news that Subaru was dropping out I was when you think Rally you think Subaru period and now that they are gone Hopefully when the recession tapers of they will get back in it.

My Ride
    NOYB.

Couple of points:

1. The cancellation of the Montreal GP had less to do with the global financial situation and more to do with the money-grubbing A-hole Bernie Ecclestone's financial situation.. he heard that there was money being made out there related to F1 that he hadn't yet stuffed in his greedy little pockets, and he wanted it all.

2. It seems that Subaru may not be 100% out of World Rally after all. The possibility of Prodrive handling the team(s) themselves for the 2009 season is still being talked about. And for what it's worth, but SRTCAN and SRTUSA have said they have no intention of backing out of their own rally committments.

Having said that, yes, motorsport is taking a monstrous hit due to the financial straits the world is in. Audi and Porsche out of ALMS, Subaru and Suzuki out of WRC (as much as they are), Honda out of F1.. yet, at the same time, do remember that there are new series out there like the VW Jetta TDI Cup, and as well Australian V8 Supercars are considering expanding their Middle Eastern/Asian visits in the coming years. It's like everything else globally right now.. it's all going to fluctuate wildly before it settles down. Just keep your seat harnesses tight and your helmet on.

My Ride

I didn't mean to knock on Fords or anything. I was just saying that the Focus manufactured and available in Europe is a completely different animal than what is available to the market here in North America.

Focus RS, ST, the Ford Fiestas, Ka's. They've got a lot more interesting stuff on the other side of the pond. We do have the SVTs though.

Yeah was just told about Porsche pulling out of ALMS a couple days back.

Hopefully, things will improve eventually

CT

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Originally posted by rage2

A little behind on the F1 news there buddy...

Spyker == Force India McLaren. Spyker sold to Force India in 2006.

Cost cutting changes no standard engine, but a standard engine package based on current regs will be made available to teams for cheap. Engine changes include 4 races per engine, less testing, and 18,000rpm rev limits (vs 19,000 last year). No turbo engines, nothing new for 3 yrs.

Canadian GP wasn't really cancelled, we just didn't have the money to pay for the fee to host the race. US and Cdn GP will be back though (prob by 2010)... manufacturers are looking at putting money into it because they need it for north american advertising market.
    But not that far behind, I was just adding some points.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

I agree with Europe getting all the good Fords. We get stuck with the new Focus-underpowered and ugly. The SVT is nice but no FI is a sin-no way it can keep up to a SRT-4 or a Subbie in a straight line. Now add a little boost.....

The Aussies get the best Fords. FPV Straight six turbo.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    SRT Charger

Audi has backed out of ALMS, NOT LeMans!!!! They will still compete at the 24 hrs de lemans. They also plan to be at Sebring for the 12hr race.
    You need to hire a proof reader, unless of course you work for TSN, there you could be a proof reader.

My Ride

Originally posted by Toms-SC
    The Aussies get the best Fords. FPV Straight six turbo.
    FPV vehicles are pretty impressive in terms of power and overall package. I prefer something a bit more refined with a bit of finesse and the Euros personally float my boat but yes FPV beautiful cars. Definitely more interesting Ford products beyond North American offerings.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by ianmcc
    I agree with Europe getting all the good Fords. We get stuck with the new Focus-underpowered and ugly. The SVT is nice but no FI is a sin-no way it can keep up to a SRT-4 or a Subbie in a straight line. Now add a little boost.....
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    09 Focus RS is just both a beauty and the "beast."
    Maybe not in this lime green, but imagine one in "frozen white" with gold rims...

Throw into the mix turbocharged 2.5-liter five-cylinder Duratec engine that produces 305 hp. Sent to front wheels via six-speed transmission. 0-100 km/h takes sub six seconds and top speed over 257 km/h.

----------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by 510-Trevor
    Audi has backed out of ALMS, NOT LeMans!!!! They will still compete at the 24 hrs de lemans. They also plan to be at Sebring for the 12hr race.
    You need to hire a proof reader, unless of course you work for TSN, there you could be a proof reader.
    Thanks for clearing that up, had a slight misunderstanding with the information that was provided to me. I'm just another white collar working guy with an interest for automotives, motorsports, and a nack for writing/journalism, not any TSN rep lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by carguy; 12-27-2008 at 02:36 PM.

CT