Quantcast
Deficit only temporary, Flaherty insists - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deficit only temporary, Flaherty insists

Default Deficit only temporary, Flaherty insists

Deficit only temporary, Flaherty insists
    Eric Beauchesne , Canwest News Service
    Published: Tuesday, December 23, 2008

OTTAWA - Less than a month after projecting the government would not go into deficit, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty is now promising a plan for getting out of the red.

Flaherty's revelation that the Jan. 27 budget will contain a plan to escape what the government now admits will be a deficit next year came Tuesday, only hours before the Finance Department revealed that this year's shrinking budget surplus has almost disappeared.
    Finance Minister Jim Flaherty: 'We’ll show in the budget itself how we will come out of deficit.'

The government suffered a $600-million shortfall in October, the third straight monthly deficit, leaving it only $200 million in the black seven months into the fiscal year, down from $6.1 billion a year earlier, the department reported.

"We'll show in the budget itself how we will come out of deficit," Flaherty told a news conference in Toronto, after reiterating his commitment that the slide into the red will be temporary.

"So it will be clear to Canadians that as the economy recovers, the deficit will disappear and we'll be in surplus again," he said, providing assurance to ease concerns among some that this could be the start of an extended period of deficit financing.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has said his government may have to inject up to $30 billion in additional government spending and tax cuts to deal with the recession and stimulate the economy.

"We will ensure that spending that puts us into deficit is temporary, is for finite purposes, so that we will not be into a permanent deficit," Flaherty said at the news conference held just prior to his meeting with his newly created council of economic advisers.

While Flaherty said he has not yet decided what stimulus measures will be in the budget, he revealed the government is looking at eliminating the waiting period for the unemployed before they can collect jobless benefits.

"We haven't made any decisions . . . other than obviously there will be some stimulus . . . because the economy is weakening significantly," he said. "That is one of the items that's been brought up and that is being reviewed."

The government - in addition to admitting that it will go into a deficit - is also acknowledging that the economy is in recession, with a 0.4 per cent contraction expected in 2009. In its Nov. 29 budget update, the government projected growth of 0.3 per cent next year, as well as marginal surpluses over the coming two years.

But the latest monthly financial statement suggests that the slide towards a deficit this fiscal year was due to a rapid run-up in government spending, not a fall in revenues.

During the first seven months of the year, program spending soared by $7.8 billion, or 7.2 per cent, while revenues rose $1.2 billion, or 0.9 per cent.

"It's not a revenue problem, it's a spending problem," said Kevin Gaudet of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, calling on the government to stimulate the economy with more tax cuts not more spending.

The increase in revenues was due to the growth in personal income taxes, offset by declines in corporate income tax and the GST, the Finance Department said. The increase in program spending, meanwhile, reflected higher payments to people and provinces and operating expenses of federal departments.

"Program spending growth has been relatively strong so far this year but began to moderate in September," the department said, adding that the growth in spending is expected to moderate even further into the fiscal year.

© Canwest News Service 2008

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

I smell bs and propaganda
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Uh, did I miss something? beyond.ca is part of the canada.com network? Cool!

WTF?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Canwest admin, what is YOUR opinion on this subject?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Please keep this thread on track. Any further posts not relevant to OP will be removed.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

I disagree Canwest.

I think the deficit will be permanent.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by sputnik
    I disagree Canwest.

I think the deficit will be permanent.
    i think the deficit is a result of the conservative government showing some concessions, as an aim to gain support from the voting base, though i would love to hear the actual opinion of the canwest admin.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

I agree, we will see a surplus again.

When is the real question.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Dear finboy,

In my opinion, we as Canadians need to ensure that our governments are making reasonable and informed budget choices in today's sensitive economic climate. I am optimistic that it is within our abilities to achieve a balance between less spending and more efficient revenue generation. I think it is appropriate for us to wait and see what the proposal contains before creating too much controversy.

Thanks,
    Canwest Admin

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

touche

My Ride
    CBR600RR

It isn't a bot?
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Hes not really that bad...

I LOVE JIM FLAHERTY

I dont know how I feel about this.
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    SRT

sounds like typical politician double-speak

question, what is the source of the article?The reason, and sorry, I dont want to come off like a douche, but i'm wondering if this section of the forum gonna slowly start getting filled with articles from canwest papers? Not that there's anything wrong with ANY of their papers, radios or tv stations, but i want to know if what i'm reading is biased... That's why most threads on here also include the link that the article is from, so people can make up their minds on their own, about how much weight they should put on what is presented... imo, it'd help if the canwest mods included links too

that said, we should welcome our new overlords to beyond!!!! WELCOME Canwest!!
    Last edited by riceeater; 12-23-2008 at 06:24 PM.

My Ride
    Model S

Default Re: Deficit only temporary, Flaherty insists

^^
    Originally posted by Canwest Admin
    Eric Beauchesne , Canwest News Service
    Published: Tuesday, December 23, 2008
    © Canwest News Service 2008
    its obviously an article by canwest

they'd only post their own content, not random other websites. chances are it's on the front page of canada.com

Originally posted by riceeater
    sounds like typical politician double-speak

question, what is the source of the article?The reason, and sorry, I dont want to come off like a douche, but i'm wondering if this section of the forum gonna slowly start getting filled with articles from canwest papers? Not that there's anything wrong with ANY of their papers, radios or tv stations, but i want to know if what i'm reading is biased... That's why most threads on here also include the link that the article is from, so people can make up their minds on their own, about how much weight they should put on what is presented... imo, it'd help if the canwest mods included links too

that said, we should welcome our new overlords to beyond!!!! WELCOME Canwest!!
    Ypu do remember Toma right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default Re: Deficit only temporary, Flaherty insists

Originally posted by Canwest Admin
    Deficit only temporary, Flaherty insists

Sure, and income taxes were a wartime measure only

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Same with the GST, no?
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

I think that the conservatives should not have:

a.) Killed the income trusts.
    b.) Not kept their promise about re-investing capital gains tax sheltered
    c.) Changed the budget in 2006 to allow 35 & 40 year mortgages, subprime and 0 down lending to happen
    d.) Run a budget deficit
    e.) I know this is provincial but, come out with the royalty regime and then flip flopped on it.

I like the talk coming out of Flaherty's mouth, but honestly everything that guy is doing just pisses me off. Fiscally conservative my ass.

We will maintain a budget deficit and it will grow larger.

I do like the GST cut though
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast