Quantcast
New CDs are too damn expensive! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New CDs are too damn expensive!

Angry New CDs are too damn expensive!

Ok, this is a question for those of you who still buy your music... Have you noticed how expensive new discs are?! At A&B or Futureslop a new release used to be on sale for $11.99 or $12.99 when it came out. Now I've noticed the price for new discs is $13.99 if you're LUCKY and often it's $15.99 for a new CD!! That's too much! :madred:

Damn record companies... first they kill off file sharing, then Internet free radio and now they're jacking up the prices too.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I don't mind the price, I used to pay $24.99-$29.99 when CD's first came out. What I do mind is the stupid copy protection stuff they put on the CD's, wife and I go buy CD's, and they don't play in our car. I have to go home, use my DVD-Rom to rip them (the protection seems to only protect CD-Rom's from ripping them), then reburn it on a CD-R to play them in the car. A lot of new CD's are coming out with this stupid protection.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I don't mind paying for the music I like. Most of the CD's I buy though are pretty rare and cost $40CDN a CD sometimes.

What I *DO* hate is paying $14 to go see a movie in the theater, and then having to pay $5 for a god damned drink.

Of course that's why I haven't paid that for almost a year.

My Ride
    Corolla

... USDM cds are not expensive... should see the Asian cds (not bootleg ones)... they are all 20-30 bucks.... but then I think their packaging is well worth the price.

Originally posted by rage2
    A lot of new CD's are coming out with this stupid protection.
    I heard that if you take a black marker to the outer top side of the cd it will get rid of the protection. I believe it was verified on an Investigative TV show.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

they still sell CDs in stores? I have not bought one CD since i bought my burner

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I still buy CD's on occasion
    Travel

My Ride
    E90 335i

Boohoo for the record companies, they've screwed consumers long enough. I don't shed a tear for them when I hear of all the pirating and file "sharing" that goes on.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

Originally posted by Superesc
    ... USDM cds are not expensive... should see the Asian cds (not bootleg ones)... they are all 20-30 bucks.... but then I think their packaging is well worth the price.
    Yup. And Asian CDs are damn hard to find in town. I don't mind buying online, cept having to pay additional taxes and handling at the post office sux.
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    purdy blue car

Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

I heard that if you take a black marker to the outer top side of the cd it will get rid of the protection. I believe it was verified on an Investigative TV show.
    Yep, you draw a line on the face of the CD so that the middle of the line just barely covers the copy protection ring (which you can see near the outer edge of the CD). I believe it only works with one of the two types of copy protection, though.

I don't mind paying for music, but it is a travesty that so little of the money you spend goes to the artist. I think it's time for a new distribution system.

I don't rip music at all. CD's, which aren't the best sounding to start with, sound even worse after ripping. No matter what sort of source you use, and even if you use a good quality card like the DMX 6 Fire, using the MP3 format means less clarity and a less defined soundstage. I find MP3's sound muddy no matter what equipment they're played back on.

Of course, enough CD's are so badly engineered these days that sometimes it doesn't matter.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.