Quantcast
Pathfinder transmission and mileage issues.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Pathfinder transmission and mileage issues..

My Ride
    Rust bucketz

Default Pathfinder issues..

I have a 2002 pathfinder LE, Lately when driving it, it dosent shift properly ...It has an automatic trans and if im doing about 80km/ph the revs sit way higher then usual, and if I step on it, it feels like its in a low gear...But it is in drive.

I'm also getting terrible milage...and this has been an issue for a while now. City driving I get about 350kms per tank....During this weather I get about 320...I tried Fuel filter and air filter but that didnt change a thing...Any ideas on what would cause this? Also for the ones who own a Pathfinder, What are you getting for milage?

For the tranny issue.. has the tranny oil been changed recently? If not, I'd suggest having it changed and using AMSOIL synthetic..

As far as the fuel economy goes.. You're pretty much bang on for this time of year. As far as I understand it.. winter gasoline has more additives, and you burn though it faster. When you combine that with idling/warm up times, you burn a lot more during the winter months.

I have a 99 4Runner.. and I get ~300-400km to a tank in the winter.
    Last edited by birchy; 01-02-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    If a tree falls in the forest... do the bushes laugh?

My Ride
    Rust bucketz

Originally posted by birchy
    For the tranny issue.. has the tranny oil been changed recently? If not, I'd suggest having it changed and using AMSOIL synthetic..

As far as the fuel economy goes.. You're pretty much bang on for this time of year. As far as I understand it.. winter gasoline has more additives, and you burn though it faster. When you combine that with idling/warm up times, you burn a lot more during the winter months.

I have a 99 4Runner.. and I get ~300km to a tank in the winter.
    I dont know about previous work done to it, I've owned it for a year and havent had it done myself. In the summer I was getting 350km's per tank aswell...which I find pretty bad no??

I did just replace the fuel/air filters about a month ago, during winter. So I guess I won't see any improvements if any until summer.

I'm not sure about the Pathfinder, but another thing you can check is the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.

Cleaning it made a huge difference on my 4Runner. You can literally buy a spray can of "MAF sensor cleaner". It's a little wire sensor inside the air intake that can get dirty over time. Especially if you have a reusable "clean it and spray it with oil" type air filter (i.e. - K&N). Took me about 30 minutes to do it myself the very first time. Increased my fuel economy about 50-100km's per tank! I was blown away. I also did the air filter and fuel filter on my 4Runner. As well as new spark plugs and wires.

I think those are about all the things you can do that will make a noticeable difference with fuel economy. Other than driving habits of course..
    Last edited by birchy; 01-02-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    If a tree falls in the forest... do the bushes laugh?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

For the fuel mileage, I get the same, around 300-350kms on a $50-60 fillup in the summer and the winter prolli 300 so its normal to me

One thing you could do to cut fuel consumption is switch it to 2WD mode but doing so in winter wouldn't be very good

As for your tranny issue, did you disable your Overdrive?Cause if thats off, then yes your RPMs will be higher than normal

And heres a forum dedicated to the Pathfinder/QX4 so try reading in there and see if its a common problem

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=37
    Last edited by dj_rice; 01-02-2009 at 08:33 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Rust bucketz

I do have some electrical parts cleaner so I'm going to spray the MAF and see what happens. Also during winter I never use 4x4 I just leave it in auto..So wouldnt that be 2WD unless I'm loosing traction? O/D is on...I know that because I would notice the light on my cluster, Thanks for the help guys!

Also, For some reason when I have it in auto the little orange light on the 4WD thing on my cluster is also on even when it's in auto...but it goes away after a while..Turns off if I put it in 2WD though....Any ideas what that would be? Or is it normal?
    Last edited by SR240SX; 01-02-2009 at 08:53 PM.

My Ride

Putting it on AUTO means you are on 4x4 mode meaning all 4 wheels are gonna be powering the car, if you switch to 2WD its putting the power only to the 2 rear wheels so less gas...

For the orange light turning on when ur on AUTO mode, thats the crankcase light sensor which normally turns on when the temperature dips to a certain degree....mine does the same thing, after warming up the car and driving for 5-10 mins it goes away so no worries on the orange light, its normal
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Rust bucketz

Oh I thought it was more like traction control, Makes sence though...Because in 2WD I dont get any traction. As for the light it seems to stop once the truck is warm, Same with the tranny issue though

My Ride

Originally posted by SR240SX
    Oh I thought it was more like traction control, Makes sence though...Because in 2WD I dont get any traction. As for the light it seems to stop once the truck is warm, Same with the tranny issue though

Think of 2WD as RWD like a 240sx....

But yeah, hopefully u can give more details like how many KMs are on it and can you describe the symptoms more, I'll check the Nissan Assist program Monday at work to see if its a common problem

My Ride
    Rust bucketz

I'm not sure how I can better describe the symptoms, Haha. If there are key things you would need to know let me know. The truck has 166,120km's as of now, I have only put on 16,000km since I baught it a year ago.

My Ride

Since you've bought it, have you ever done any tranny flushes, transfer case flushes, rear diff flushes or etc.

Check your plugs or just change them, you have done the filters so plugs would be a good thing to do as well, make sure they are gapped properly, this can help fuel milage, change the tranmsion filter and fluid, use some intake air cleaner and clean your throttle body and idle air control valve,

My Ride
    It has a shiny thingy on the front

In cold weather the transmission will shift at higher RPM's and will not shift into overdrive until the fluid is warmed up.

If all you're taking is short trips and keep the Pathy outside, that may be the cause.

My Ride
    Rust bucketz

All I have done since I baught it was replace one of the o2 sensors,fuel filter, and the air filter. I'm going to flush all the fluids because im sure it hasnt been done in a while. I do park it outside but I let it warm up atleast 10-15 minutes every morning, and it will act funny for about 5-10 minutes of driving then go away. I'm thinking its just the cold...but I'm going to go ahead and flush the fluids and do the plugs. Thanks again guys!!