Quantcast
Sr Finance classes to take...? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sr Finance classes to take...?

Default Sr Finance classes to take...?

So it'll be my last semester, and I'm not fully sure about what to take...

I'll have taken 317, 445, and 447.

Next sem I've got 451, 463 and 473 and mgst 493/495

I'm fairly shit scared about fnce 447 though, I went into the final with 86.15 for 40% of my mark, 25% was a group project which the prof seemed to like (did it on man utd so it was something different), 10% on class participation (just posted a lot on blackboard towards the end), and 25% on the final. The final was fairly brutal, I was sick at the time but wrote it anyways, prof knew this too, but still I did fairly shit on it. Most people I talked felt the same way too...but still...He does curve, yet I'm still worried about getting a fail now.

If i do, I'll need to pick up one more fnce class to graduate at the end of next sem. What would be recommended? 443, 461, 467, 471, and 595 (M&A) are offered.

Which would be the best to take in case I bomb 447?

My Ride
    2010 WRX Limited

443 securities analysis and investments... not too bad. Take it with Philip Chang, he is good

Yeah I've heard that's a good one to take. Is it really similar to 463? I've got 463 with Chang already.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Sick in Sick's class? If he was your prof, I wouldn't worry about failing. In the days before BlackBoard (this would be around 2002), I remember seeing posted FNCE 447 grades -- nobody got below a B if they participated in all graded areas of the course -- the average looked to be a B+.

Personally I'd go more by the prof than the course itself -- if Philip Chang or Alex David are teaching any finance courses, I'd certainly take them. Philip Chang is one hell of a nice guy -- took FNCE 443 from him in 2005, and he's helped me out a lot over the years since then (reference letters and so on). Never taken a class from Alex David, but I know him through some extra curricular activities, and he is very knowledgeable, and has won many teaching awards.

Cathy Roy-Heaton works you pretty hard (I had her for FNCE 463 back in 2004), but I think it's because she is used to teaching CFA prep classes -- her classes are challenging, but you will learn a great deal.

Personally I found 443 to be quite a bit easier than 463, but then again, that might just be the teaching style of Chang (relaxed) vs. Roy-Heaton (frantic). There is a lot of overlap between 443 and 463.

Jeff Dunphy is also really good (he's taught new venture finance and M&A), but I'm not sure he's allowed to teach anymore after humiliating a bunch of the CMPT guys during class presentations back in 2004 (e.g. he forced one CPMT guy to blow on another CPMT guy's neck while he was presenting)

I just had 443 with Philip last semester, and he was great. He aims for the class to have a 80% average, and gives out small bonus assignments along the way to help out with his marks. The group project did take a fair bit of time, much more then what it's actually worth, but all in all he was the best finance prof I've had so far.

Yeah I've only heard good things about Phillip, so I'm not worried about him too much giving me 463. I've got Jess Huan Chua for fnce 473 (new venture finance) right now, not sure how he/she is?

And Xifeng Diao for 451? I've heard mixed reviews about him too...everything is a cakewalk till the final apparently?

The only one doing 443 this semester is Margaret Henderson, I had her for 317, and I'd really like not to have her again...

Alexander David is doing 467, Heaton is doing 461, and Alfred Lehar is doing the M&A 595 one.

Yeah I was sick in Sick's class haha, I know he curves, but that final really gave it to me up the ass. And the marks still aren't posted

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

I've never had him, but Chua is supposed to be really good, although he normally only teachers MBA and PhD level classes.

Diao -- never had him...I took 451 from Cottrell 5 years ago, right before Diao joined the U of C. I don't know how he is.

Margaret Henderson -- had her for 493 -- it was kind of a nothing class, so I didn't mind.

467 wasn't around when I was in Haskayne, so I'm not sure what the course will cover -- perhaps financial risk management? That's Alex David's research area.

Cathy Roy-Heaton will work you hard and you'll learn a ton, so if international finance interests you, that would be a good class to take. She know her stuff, but she can be a bit cranky at times.

Yeah 467 is financial risk management, that one seems to fit nicely with my schedule, or int'l finance, but if it's a lot of work I'm not sure...since I've heard 451 is a pretty work heavy/difficult class as well. And it all hinges on if i need to add another class in too...