Quantcast
Custom Glass Shower Doors? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Custom Glass Shower Doors?

My Ride
    JRSC00LUDE's sister

Default Custom Glass Shower Doors?

I built a custom shower in my ensuite bathroom. Now I need to find a door. Apparently this glass is super expensive.

The opening I have is 51 inches (requiring a 6' in height), but I can frame it smaller, to say 48". I've been quoted $1500 for glass. Does anyone know where I might find plexiglass to do this job?

Home depot has a great 48" x 72" door (for only $481), but the 24" door is in the middle, between two 12" panels. I need my door to be on the right side, with a 24 - 27 inch panel to the left.

Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by Ali
    I'm glad he's happy but he's still fucking Prince! If he wants to hang with Jehovah that's cool, it's just sucks that I'll never have the opportunity to hear "Soft and Wet" live

My Ride
    EVO IX MR

I have yet to see a Plexiglass that does not haze and look shitty within a relatively short period of time. I had the same problem when I was about to build a shower in my basement custom tempered glass is rediculous. Try and find a shower door that will work or redesign your shower and make it bigger so you don't need a door.
    12.43 @ 108mph

My Ride
    JRSC00LUDE's sister

Redesign isn't going to happen! House is all done. I could eliminate the second floor laundry, and double the shower size.......

The Home Depot door is the best so far. Just makes for a narrow entry to my shower. I should post some pics here.....
    Originally posted by Ali
    I'm glad he's happy but he's still fucking Prince! If he wants to hang with Jehovah that's cool, it's just sucks that I'll never have the opportunity to hear "Soft and Wet" live

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Plexiglass you fucking cheapskate? Really? haha
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    JRSC00LUDE's sister

Here is what I have to work with. The space from the vanity to the ride side of the shower opening is 27 inches. The $480 job from Home Depot has 12" side panels with a 24" door. Maybe I could use the door on the far right side, hinged to the wall, then use a 12" panel on the left, and build it the far left side out with glass blocks?

Need to come up with something far cheaper than the $2k ish custom glass!!

And Yes, JR, PLEXI! Remember my big ass car stereo, with windows into the sub box? That was 1" Plexi!

Originally posted by Ali

My Ride
    Fat Boy riding a Fat Boy

I think building out the side or sides with glass blocks would look great. They come 6" or 12" so you should be able to make a fit.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

I can't tell, but is that just regular drywall lining the inside of your shower? What's that to the right of it by the door - a light switch?

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

call around, try chinook glass on 16th ave
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    JRSC00LUDE's sister

Originally posted by frozenrice
    I can't tell, but is that just regular drywall lining the inside of your shower? What's that to the right of it by the door - a light switch?
    Yes, regular drywall. Nothing more is required when you use the schluter kerdi membrane.

Yes, light switch. No where near water! It turns on the shower light.
    Originally posted by Ali

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Try these guys...the manufactur glass right here in Calgary and supply most of the retail outlets.

http://www.goldrayindustries.com/
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

10mm tempered...call Chinook glass

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

I've always had nothing but the best experience and service from Payless Glass. They are on 9 ave and 28 st NE. They do a lot of custom precision jobs for us at work and they are awesome to work with.

I used Cascade glass for my house's custom bathroom....square glass sinks, glass counter and glass shower...they were reasonable...Diane was the one I dealt with...

My Ride
    JRSC00LUDE's sister

I called Payless....I think? I 411'ed them and gota number for King Glass. They quoted me only $841 for the entire thing, meaning no glass blocks, or any other farting around. I just need to install it myself.

Sounds pretty good.

Now I am just waiting to hear back from Goldray.

Thanks guys!
    Originally posted by Ali

My Ride
    JRSC00LUDE's sister

Alright, now I am down to around $600 for two pieces of glass.

No hardware though. I just spent an hour searching the www for heavy duty non-bore glass hinges. I can't find anything...... everything I've found are for small stereo cabinets, etc. Nothing to support a 27" x 72" x 10mm thick glass door.

I will need hinges, door handle (double sided), and some sort of track to hold the fixed piece of glass in place.

This is a lot of farting around, but if I can't do it for under $1000 for everything, it will not be done anytime soon.

Thanks again for your help!
    Originally posted by Ali

My Ride
    Lease

Is this done yet???

My Ride
    JRSC00LUDE's sister

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Is this done yet???
    Nope!

I had to set my floor slope, which I did using various thickness of wood from 3/8" plywood, stepping it all the way up to 2". then I put down three layers of 1/2" plywood, gluing the shit outof each layer, along with hundreds of 2" staples. Once the floor had a good shape to it, I did the drain and floor membrane. Then corners, then I did my membrane rolling side to side rather than up and down eliminating the need for small corner pices all the way up.

At this point, I have just over half of it tiled. I'll post a pic here tomorrow. My wife picked 3"x6" subway tile....... and because I am a perfectionist, it's going in stages. At about eye level, she wanted a border. so that is where I am at. I just test fit the shower unit (you will see in my pics) so I can butt the border up to it (if the border goes behind it, it won't mount flush, and therefore leak). (If she had just picked some 12x12 tiles, It would have been done a long time ago!)

I only took my membrane up to the underside of the shower heads, since there won't be any water going up that high....at least not enough to get through the grout, through the thinset, and into the drywall.

My pics will explain it all!
    Originally posted by Ali

My Ride
    JRSC00LUDE's sister

Originally posted by Ali

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Hey if you arew going to to a nice high end job check out this glass supplier.

Joel Berman -

http://www.jbermanglass.com/studio/studio.html

Very nice high end stuff.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc