Quantcast
S2000 in winter? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: S2000 in winter?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default S2000 in winter?

Anyone driving theirs in the winter... I'm looking at them, but couldn't afford to have it as a weekend car. I've driven high power rwd in the winter before, controls not a problem for me, but am curious about the roof upkeep, and warmth.

Any help?

My Ride

their great winter cars, awesome heating too, just get some good winter tires

My Ride
    335i

Perfectly fine in every aspect. Try and avoid bringing the top down during the winter to avoid unnecessary wear.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Corvette

Haven't done it yet, but damn the heating in the car is crazy...I've never made it past 2 notches.

My Ride
    Blown S2000 - sold

There are a few of us in Calgary and many, many of us across Canada who daily drive the S2000 all winter long in every kind of road conditions imaginable. Prerequisites being that you must equip it with good winter tires and learn some winter driving finesse.
    In fact, we even drag race in the snow and ice. Here are some vids:

http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.p...ht=winter+vids
    Last edited by xviper; 01-09-2009 at 11:50 PM.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

If you care about the condition of the soft top, you'll never even think about driving it without a hard top in the winter. Nothing DESTROYS the canvas roof quite like the consistant freezing & thawing of a damp roof, or the salts involved.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    If you care about the condition of the soft top, you'll never even think about driving it without a hard top in the winter. Nothing DESTROYS the canvas roof quite like the consistant freezing & thawing of a damp roof, or the salts involved.
    Yeah, that was my biggest concern, how bad the softop would get toasted. Mind you I do wash my vehicles on a weekly basis, even in winter, and have a garage to park in, my only real outside parking would be at work.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ if you can get a hardtop, sure go ahead. Otherwise dont bother, as a new softtop is about $1,400 or so. After about 3-5 years of winter use, you can pretty much count on having to replace the canvas as it'll look like worn out shit.
    A decent winter car isn't that much, I'd go that route way before using your S2K in the winter For both the rust & soft top reasons alone.... if nothing else
    my Z4 Roadster is staying parked until the snow is off the ground for good.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Obviously you can get a hardtop for it but I was in a friend's S2000 about 2 weeks ago when we got the massive dump; he uses his car as dd, ride wasn't fun. It was pretty harsh and he there wasn't a road when he didn't scrape snow. With all said, I would go for it!

I feel bad for his front bumper....

My Ride
    Blown S2000 - sold

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    You really have no idea, do you? The S2000 soft top is NOT canvass. It is vinyl. It does NOT get damp. If anything, it gets DRY. Speak all you like about your BMW, but don't speak on behalf of the S2000 if you don't know.
    With any soft top, care and feeding of it is vital to it's health and longevity. There are many examples of S2000s with NO hardtop and being driven through winters for several years WITHOUT any issues whatsoever. I personally know of 2 in Calgary that's gone over 6 years and it's not the winters that create any problems with the soft top. I've also interacted on S2000 forums with many other owners who run theirs in the cold and snow with the same outcomes. Only the stupid ones who don't know how to take care of it or how to treat it, end up with soft tops that get damaged. Only the stupid ones who do not heed the warnings in the owner's manual to NOT operate the top in freezing temps, end up with cracked tops. Hell, they'll even take having 2 feet of snow fall on it and piled on top of it without any issues.

If you care about an S2000 soft top, you will learn what it takes to treat it and look after it. A hardtop will aid in sound insulation and cold insulation and just to give the car a different look, but extending the life of the soft top is in the hands of the owner, not because it's covered by a hardtop.
    Last edited by xviper; 01-10-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Winter tires are a must, with an near empty gas tank and all seasons in the rear it was mighty sketchy driving it through any form of snow/slush/ice.

I also gotta give a for the car being able to blow warm air so quickly after a cold start, granted it isn't able to blow air as hot as the neon did, you could literally burn your hand if you held it too close to the vent.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by whiskas
    Winter tires are a must, with an near empty gas tank and all seasons in the rear it was mighty sketchy driving it through any form of snow/slush/ice.

I also gotta give a for the car being able to blow warm air so quickly after a cold start, granted it isn't able to blow air as hot as the neon did, you could literally burn your hand if you held it too close to the vent.
    Glad you're enjoying it.

My Ride
    fast and red.

We had a big dump of snow in Edmonton last week, and I passed an S2000 idling about 20 feet into the ditch.

I know this can happy with any combination of bad driving and bad weather, but I'd say winter tires are a must...

My Ride
    is unique

I just took an S2K out for a rip today in some snow to see what it's like... Not the best car, but don't drive stupid and you'll be fine.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

^^ LOL my old S2k doesnt have winters. I am sure the S2k would be fine in winter weather.... Tires..tires..tires , that is all.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    is unique

Haha, your car is so fun man.
    I'm considering it myself for next summer.
    Such a fun toy!!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Blown S2000 - sold

Originally posted by canuckcarguy
    We had a big dump of snow in Edmonton last week, and I passed an S2000 idling about 20 feet into the ditch.

I know this can happy with any combination of bad driving and bad weather, but I'd say winter tires are a must...
    S2000s aren't the only vehicle on the road that is susceptible to ending up in the ditch. I routinely see 4X4 trucks, big SUVs, all kinds of FWD cars stuck in ditches, high centered on ridges of snow and spinning and crashing into barricades. It's not the car. It's the drivers and their inability to equip their cars for the driving conditions of the season. The same can be said in the wet season when idiots run on worn tires and hydroplane into a wall, then blame the car, saying it can't be driven in the rain.
    Anybody who actually thinks they can drive safely in an S2000 in winter conditions without winter tires or too fast in the wet with worn performance tires, is in for a real surprise. They should be prepared to back their manliness off a couple of notches. You look like a total dumbass when you smack into that hard object that just happened to jump out in front of you.

My Ride
    bus

i thought about buying winters and driving the ap1 year round but im worried about the ride height and rock chips

Default s2000

all rwd cars n are bad for canadian winters, also personal driving varies ive seen people driving rhd twin turbos in winters and a s2000 cant be that bad

My Ride
    Blown S2000 - sold

Originally posted by redblack
    i thought about buying winters and driving the ap1 year round but im worried about the ride height and rock chips
    I have a buddy who daily drives a lowered S2000. He's just very smart about where and how he drives. For rock chips, he's got 3M film. If driving it worries you that much, then don't. It's not worth having that on your mind every time you go out. It ruins the fun so why bother? But remember, the guy with his $100K+ Porsche Cayenne S is driving out there. What do you suppose he thinks about rock chips? It's just a car.

Originally posted by 792171004
    all rwd cars n are bad for canadian winters, also personal driving varies ive seen people driving rhd twin turbos in winters and a s2000 cant be that bad
    I wonder what life was like before the days of FWD, when almost everything on the road were RWD cars. How did those people get by in such tough times? I guess life came to a grinding halt whenever winter came.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast