9 42.86%
  • Suzuki SV650

12 57.14%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Yamaha FZ6R vs 2009 Suzuki SV650

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default 2009 Yamaha FZ6R vs 2009 Suzuki SV650

So I have a real dilemma here: 2009 SV650S or 2008 FZ6R.

Price:
    + The SV650 will set me back $8,505 out the door.
    + The FZ6R will set me back $8,389 out the door.

Looks:
    FZ6R:

SV650:

So, really, I can't decide what to do here. There is little information online about the FZ6R, including how much power it makes, but the torque figures of the engine are comparable (the SV650 makes 4ft-lbs more).

Does ANYBODY have any information about the FZ6R, any experience, any stories... anything? Input is needed and welcome

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

Rode an 08 SV650 a few months ago. Said it before - good all around bike. Nothing negative to say about it, but that being said, nothing that I'd write home about either.
    It does most thing well, but it still felt very ... bland.

No saddle time on the FZ6R, but I will say that it looks a bit better than the SV - that exhaust and the fender are hideous!!
    Last edited by japan_us; 01-10-2009 at 06:13 PM.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

these two bikes may have a similar riding postition but that is really where the comparison should end.... They are on opposite ends of the scale when it comes to power delivery and the amount of it. If you are used to and like inline 4 power then you probably won't like the SV.

I bought an SV brand new back in 05, put about 12,000kms on it and I loved every minute of that bike. And it wasn't my first bike. The power was sufficient, and the sound is DEADLY with an aftermarket exhaust. SV is a better street bike in my opinion, I would recommend it over the FZ all day. The FZ is an excellent bike though, and its good to see you are considering a couple of the best street bikes on the market.

The only thing the SV gives up to the FZ is power on the highway riding two up and outright speed....

Also, I cannot give the engine enough praise in the SV... full throttle redline shifts all day for 12,000kms and it never complained once. The bike felt as new as it did with 10K on it as it did off the show room floor.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

^^^ I'll let my buddy know. He asked me what I thought of the SV after riding it, and I didn't really rave about it (didn't bash it either, though).

Truth be told, I probably didn't spend enough time on it, and have been riding sport bikes and my triple before that. Glad to hear that it's a great bike.

However, I stand by my previous comments on the exhaust and fender.

My Ride

Originally posted by rizfarmer
    these two bikes may have a similar riding postition but that is really where the comparison should end.... They are on opposite ends of the scale when it comes to power delivery and the amount of it. If you are used to and like inline 4 power then you probably won't like the SV.

I bought an SV brand new back in 05, put about 12,000kms on it and I loved every minute of that bike. And it wasn't my first bike. The power was sufficient, and the sound is DEADLY with an aftermarket exhaust. SV is a better street bike in my opinion, I would recommend it over the FZ all day. The FZ is an excellent bike though, and its good to see you are considering a couple of the best street bikes on the market.

The only thing the SV gives up to the FZ is power on the highway riding two up and outright speed....

Also, I cannot give the engine enough praise in the SV... full throttle redline shifts all day for 12,000kms and it never complained once. The bike felt as new as it did with 10K on it as it did off the show room floor.
    What's the power like on an SV650? One complaint I have about my Ninja is that it's acceleration leaves a bit to be desired (I mean, it's faster than 90% of the cars on the road, but it's not exactly what I want.

Also, I'm looking for something I can take in the mountains and not have to worry about it dying out on me. I do honestly prefer the look of the FZ6R, but given that I can't ride either bike to determine which one I want I have to go based on other factors.

Usually it'd be price, but they're pretty much identical, and the riding position in the same as well. Hence my dilemma.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by japan_us
    ^^^ I'll let my buddy know. He asked me what I thought of the SV after riding it, and I didn't really rave about it (didn't bash it either, though).

Truth be told, I probably didn't spend enough time on it, and have been riding sport bikes and my triple before that. Glad to hear that it's a great bike.

However, I stand by my previous comments on the exhaust and fender.

undertail kit and exhaust.... done.

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

Undertail kit, fine. However, add that on top of a semi-decent slip-on and the SV won't be in the same price range.

Nothing against the bike in general. Just saying that, if I was thinking about cost, and all else being somewhat equal, the FZ6R looks better than the SV IMO.

Question to OP: Were you looking at the SV650 naked, or S? The S has more of a sport riding position, does it not? Rizfarmer, perhaps you can chime in ... I thought the S is much sportier and has clip-ons. If he is looking at the S, would the FZ provide a more upright position?

*** Edit - Nevermind. Read post again and noticed that OP is looking at the S. Still wondering about riding position...
    Last edited by japan_us; 01-10-2009 at 07:43 PM.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by A790

What's the power like on an SV650? One complaint I have about my Ninja is that it's acceleration leaves a bit to be desired (I mean, it's faster than 90% of the cars on the road, but it's not exactly what I want.

Also, I'm looking for something I can take in the mountains and not have to worry about it dying out on me. I do honestly prefer the look of the FZ6R, but given that I can't ride either bike to determine which one I want I have to go based on other factors.

Usually it'd be price, but they're pretty much identical, and the riding position in the same as well. Hence my dilemma.
    the power is very linear and predictable, no big surges but you don't have to rev the shit out of it to make it go.

It would be much faster compared to your ninja. To bad mine isn't around anymore... the sound would have sold you on an SV.

If the power is your concern then don't worry about it. Riding in the city the SV is even a bit quicker than the 600cc repli racers due to the torque being available lower in the rev range. I was into my 4th year of riding the last year I owned it and it was still plenty of fun.

The nice thing about it is that you can actually use almost all of the power of the bike even around town and not be in too much danger. My current bike sucks in town because you have to shut it down in anything above first gear once it hits its power band.

heres what mine looked like with an undertail kit and exhaust

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by japan_us
    Undertail kit, fine. However, add that on top of a semi-decent slip-on and the SV won't be in the same price range.

Nothing against the bike in general. Just saying that, if I was thinking about cost, and all else being somewhat equal, the FZ6R looks better than the SV IMO.

Question to OP: Were you looking at the SV650 naked, or S? The S has more of a sport riding position, does it not? Rizfarmer, perhaps you can chime in ... I thought the S is much sportier and has clip-ons. If he is looking at the S, would the FZ provide a more upright position?
    I was seeing these bikes advertised around $6500 last season... yes the S has clipons, I would think the FZ and SV-S would be comparable in riding position.

I would honestly try to find an '04-'07 with less than 10K. they should only be worth $5-6K max and usually the types of riders on them are not hard on the bikes at all.

My Ride
    Cbr600F3, Dodge Colt 90hp!

I voted Sv650: but I'm biased as it shares the some power plant as my future bike (DL650).

If you want more information on the FZ6R try searching for information on the FZ6. The FZ6R is just a FZ6 with a different frame and more plastic.

Also there is a member of CGP that did some riding for Yamaha on the FZ6R's. You might want to contact her. I attached the link Shameless Plug

As for the SV650s vs the FZ6R

They are 2 different bikes as mentioned before.
    The Fz6r will be more rev happy and will have a distinct power band like most I4's, With most of the power coming in at the very high rpm mark.

If you like riding on the highways or touring this might be the best bike for you. Riding in the city might not be as fun as you will have to keep shifting gears to keep the bike in the power band. That is if you don't like shifting gears.

The Sv650 twin IMHO is more easier to ride in the city and better in the corners. The power will be very linear and predictable. But the bike will not be as fun to ride on the highways as the FZ6R as there is no "rush" or "surge" in power in the upper RPM range.

So in concision. it all depends on what kind of rider you are.

The FZ6R will be the most fun when ridden fast (highway), the SV650 will be fun when ridden slow (City)

Also I agree with Rizfarmer, Those prices you stated are a bit too over priced. The Sv650s's where going for 6500ish-7000 in December. With the oncoming economic fears I predict there will be much better deals in the future.
    Last edited by MikeHL; 01-10-2009 at 09:16 PM.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Go with the SV, there is almost a cult like following with people that race these bikes at local tracks. TONS of parts available, and lots of mods for these bikes too
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Accord Coupe

Default Bikes

Was at the motorcycle show today, didn't inquire about the SV, but FZ6R was on for $6500.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

I sat on the FZ6R at the bike show, totally not the bike for me... not yet anyway. Way to upright and standard seating and standard bars

SV with clipons all the way!

My Ride

I'm deciding tomorrow which one I'm going to buy. I'm going to sit on them both, see what kind of pricing I can get on both, and then go with my gut.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^If you can Check out the SVR650. Its called the "Gladius". I have to check to see if I have any pics of that bike, but they had this absolutely gorgeous medium metallic blue and pearl white one there... just beautiful. I'm not into the FZR type bikes, but even that one sure caught my interest.

Very interesting bike... blue painted frame, everything. It really stood out.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride

To be honest I'm somewhat more inclined to buy the FZ6R since I like how it looks a bit more, but really, it's just the exhaust of the SV650 I don't like. It'll be interesting to see which one I buy, but at the very least, I'm getting something significantly faster than my EX500R.

Go for Yamaha man.. U can kill the elephant with that exhaust. Look so ugly. I bought the 06 Gixxer brand new bak in the day and sold it after 3 months. The bike look cheap compare to Yamaha. The pain peel off while im washing the bike

My Ride

I went and looked like an '08 SV650S tonight for $5K (5,300km) with an aftermarket exhaust... sounded fucking amazing. Not a scratch on it, sounded AMAZING.

I'm still going to look at the FZ6R tomorrow, but at nearly $4,000 more, it'd better be bloody fantastic else I'm buying the SV650S.

Originally posted by A790
    I went and looked like an '08 SV650S tonight for $5K (5,300km) with an aftermarket exhaust... sounded fucking amazing. Not a scratch on it, sounded AMAZING.

I'm still going to look at the FZ6R tomorrow, but at nearly $4,000 more, it'd better be bloody fantastic else I'm buying the SV650S.
    Stay away from the FZ6R bro... go FZ6 if you are interested in Yammie.. its an R6 in an upright position, same engine, same brakes, very close suspension and you get the 180 on the rear.

Was chatting with the owner of the shop out by me and the power on the FZ6R is supposed to be quite disapointing.
    (I know you like the full fering)

Looked at the blue SV with the pink lettering did ya?
    You know my take on the SV, great fun bike, with lots of torque, great after market for it too.

What about the Kawi Ninja 650R? Dunno too much about it, but it peaked my interest a the show. (hate the banana seat....)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast