Quantcast
are vietnamese subs unhealthy?! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: are vietnamese subs unhealthy?!

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by RY213
    I used to eat the beef sate from Thai Thai probably twice a week. About a year ago I got really bad food poisoning after eating at the one in deerfoot meadows, puking out of my mouth and ass simultaneously. I haven't eaten there since. So I would say, ya they are unhealthy...
    Improperly prepared chicken can do the same thing to you. Would you consider chicken an unhealthy food?

Originally posted by RY213
    I used to eat the beef sate from Thai Thai probably twice a week. About a year ago I got really bad food poisoning after eating at the one in deerfoot meadows, puking out of my mouth and ass simultaneously. I haven't eaten there since. So I would say, ya they are unhealthy...
    Thai Thai need I say more.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by badatusrnames

Improperly prepared chicken can do the same thing to you. Would you consider chicken an unhealthy food?

No, I consider pork satanic so I don't eat pork
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

I don't think vietnamese restaurants use msg
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    STi

^^ what do you think the main ingredients of pho is?

I always thought the main ingredient of pho was - pure goodness. At least that is what my body tells me.

My Ride

Originally posted by jsn
    ^^ what do you think the main ingredients of pho is?

Main ingredient of pho is prolli beef/ox tail bones for stock combined with star anise/ginger/charred onion for flavoring
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-17-2020 at 04:44 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by 01RedDX

and msg. A lot of it.

Maybe in the restaurants to stretch out a pot of broth for many servings but not homemade

My Ride
    E36 M3, fd Rx-7, 2011 Toyota Tacoma

^true....homemade FTW! None of that watered down shit. I have to squeeze half a bottle of hoisin sauce just for flavor in most of these so called pho joints.

My Ride

Originally posted by m3_powered
    ^true....homemade FTW! None of that watered down shit. I have to squeeze half a bottle of hoisin sauce just for flavor in most of these so called pho joints.

I wouldn't be surprised if they watered down the hoisin sauce also

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by dj_rice

Main ingredient of pho is prolli beef/ox tail bones for stock combined with star anise/ginger/charred onion for flavoring
    I was joking. Also, I'm not talking about the home made pho. The pho in viet restaurants have quite a lot of msg in it.

My Ride
    91 MR2 turbo

the thread went from the sandwiches to MSG. Here is how everyone should look at it. MSG is everywhere!!! Chips, can soups, salad dressings, you name it and it's probably in there. The reason why most people dont connect MSG with western cuisine is because the media didnt give it a bad name to western cuisine. For a long time, baby food was filled with MSG but people didnt know that. MSG will not do anything to you with the amounts you consume.

i love asian food and the reason why they taste so good is from the combination of spices, marination and in pho the bone stock and fish sauce. MSG is in there but it's not why it makes it taste so good.

as for the sandwiches, i would probably limit the intake on them. Most of the time the protein on there are not lean meats but are from more fatty cuts, that's why it's so much more delicious.

Originally posted by Kritafo

Thai Thai need I say more.
    Is there Thi Thi & Thai Thai??? I always thought they were on in the same???

My Ride
    W204

The beef sate subs at the Chinatown location... You have to deal with a.) the lard/butter that gets SLATHERED on there, b.) the processed cheese slice that spans the entire sandwich, c.) all the grease dripping from the sate beef, and d.) all the sodium that goes into everything plus the sauce that is added on. So yeah, I would have to say that they are quite unhealthy. But who gives a fuck. It can't be any worse than a Big Mac combo.

As for the MSG argument, this is what I have to say. Western societies and "studies" are so quick to demonize and yet, a.) it was invented by the Japanese about half a century ago (something like that), b.) they consume this shit like CRAZY -- it's in EVERYTHING they eat, and c.) they are one of the longest living populations on Earth. Fast food diets will kill you before an MSG diet.

And just to add my 2 cents.. I don't think every viet place uses MSG. MSG leaves a very distinct feeling of thirst in my mouth and dryness/tingly feeling on my tongue. That's how I can usually tell how much MSG they've put in. The worst offender is probably Pho 88 (but sofaking good), middle offender is pho thanh (also sofaking good), and seemingly the least offender is this pho place owned by a beyonder's parents that's right across from the Foothills Hospital (now I forget what the name is). Something pho and grill... Anyway, at least that's what I think. I could be completely wrong.

MSG by itself does nothing. It just tastes salty and leaves you thirsty. But added to an existing broth can really accentuate the flavour and bring out it's "sweetness".
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by clem24
    The beef sate subs at the Chinatown location... You have to deal with a.) the lard/butter that gets SLATHERED on there, b.) the processed cheese slice that spans the entire sandwich, c.) all the grease dripping from the sate beef, and d.) all the sodium that goes into everything plus the sauce that is added on. So yeah, I would have to say that they are quite unhealthy. But who gives a fuck. It can't be any worse than a Big Mac combo.

As for the MSG argument, this is what I have to say. Western societies and "studies" are so quick to demonize and yet, a.) it was invented by the Japanese about half a century ago (something like that), b.) they consume this shit like CRAZY -- it's in EVERYTHING they eat, and c.) they are one of the longest living populations on Earth. Fast food diets will kill you before an MSG diet.

And just to add my 2 cents.. I don't think every viet place uses MSG. MSG leaves a very distinct feeling of thirst in my mouth and dryness/tingly feeling on my tongue. That's how I can usually tell how much MSG they've put in. The worst offender is probably Pho 88 (but sofaking good), middle offender is pho thanh (also sofaking good), and seemingly the least offender is this pho place owned by a beyonder's parents that's right across from the Foothills Hospital (now I forget what the name is). Something pho and grill... Anyway, at least that's what I think. I could be completely wrong.

MSG by itself does nothing. It just tastes salty and leaves you thirsty. But added to an existing broth can really accentuate the flavour and bring out it's "sweetness".
    The MSG used by the Japanese comes from natural sources though, such as Konbu (dried Kelp). The majority of the MSG used in North America (besides most japanese restaurants) is synthetic. Naturally occuring MSG is just a higher concentration of chemicals already found in things like tomatoes. Synthetic MSG on the other hand is just a batch of chemicals and that's where the controversy begins.

^^also, i don't like MSG for two reasons: 1) it is a diuretic that makes you dehydrated and thirsty as fuk, and 2) it is a 'flavour enhancing' drug that is added to bad/tasteless food to trick your brain into thinking it tastes better than it does.

i'm not up on the latest research about msg on health, but the above reasons are enough to make me try to avoid it... i hate being thirsty, and i want to eat food that tastes good on its own without me having to add drugs to it.

if you're a huge proponent, why not go to the supermarekt and get a can of "meat tenderizer" (MSG) and add it to all of your cooking?????????

My Ride
    W204

I am not a huge proponent of MSG. I don't like the thirsty feeling either. The thing is that people seem to be making a huge deal out of MSG when it's really being blown out of proportion... I.e. these same people probably drink diet pop or eat much more unhealthy foods than they should, whereby MSG is probably the least of their concerns.

And yes I do have MSG as part of my cooking arsenal (I only buy the Japanese Ajimoto brand). But I hardly ever use it. I'll put a drop in a soup broth, but that's about it.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Anyone who eats potato chips... consumes MSG.

msg = evil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast