Quantcast
Lexmark to Customers: We Tell You How You Can Use The Products You Buy From Us - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lexmark to Customers: We Tell You How You Can Use The Products You Buy From Us

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Lexmark to Customers: We Tell You How You Can Use The Products You Buy From Us

I bought a Lexmark printer/scanner/fax/copier today and, on my way out of the store, noticed a legal disclaimer printed on the top flap of the box. I didn't bother reading it at the time, but once I got it home it piqued my curiosity so I decided to take a gander.

I can not believe what I read. I wouldn't believe it if someone told me this, so I took a picture of it. It may seem trivial, but essentially Lexmark is dictating how I am to use the cartridges inside.

The text reads:

Important! Please read before opening:

Opening this package, installing the printing device software, or using the print cartridge(s) inside, confirms your acceptance of the following license/agreement: The patented print cartridge(s) contained inside is/are licensed for a single use only and is/are designed to stop working after delivering a fixed amount of ink. A variable amount of ink will remain in the cartridge when replacement is required. After this single use, the license to use the print cartridge terminates, and the used cartridge must be returned only to Lexmark for remanufacturing, refilling, or recycling. If you buy another cartridge in the future that is sold subject to the above terms, you accept such terms as to that cartridge. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS SINGLE USE LICENSE/AGREEMENT DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. A replacement cartridge sold without these terms is available through www.lexmark.com.
    See image:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

So what I'm reading from this is:

+ I can't refill the cartridges through one of those in-home or storefront cartridge refill centres.

+ I can not throw the cartridge out once it has run out of ink.

+ The cartridge never actually runs out of ink, it simply stops dispensing it at a preset interval.

+ I MUST return the cartridge to Lexmark after I am done using the product that I purchased.

I am simply baffled that by this nonsensical legalese printed in small print on the top of the printer box. I haven't actually unpacked the printer yet, so I may go and return the damn thing out of spite. I feel that they do not have the right to dictate to me how I use a printer and/or cartridges that I have purchased from them. I am not leasing this printer, nor the cartridges inside, but rather have purchased it out right. If I want to burn the cartridges after they are "empty" I should be free to do so.

</rant>

EDIT: Is this a new standard thing with printers? I never noticed this when I bought my last printer.

My future MIL bought a Lexmark AIO printer from Costco not too long ago and really does stop printing even though it was not quite out of ink.

She had the cartridge refilled at one of those kiosks and the Lexmark printer kept saying that it was out of ink. A week later it stopped printing altogether, saying she needed to buy a new cartridge even though there was ink from the refill.

There might be a way around it but it seemed more work than it was worth.

I don't believe they force you to return them. They are saying that if you do, it must be returned ONLY to lexmark, no place else so they can "reset" the cartridge.

It makes sense really... it ensures their product still provides quality prints and prevents people from refilling the cartridges then complain when it prints a crappy photo.

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://copyfight.corante.com/archive...fringement.php

That has been contested in court and upheld. You break the package, you agree to the contract.

there are software programs you can run that fools the ink levels I have one on my kids HP printer.

But I highly recommend Tondar computer Corp in Pacific Place mall, they sell printers that hook right up to giant jugs of ink for under $100.00 best thing I ever did. I haven't needed to buy ink in years.

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
    It makes sense really... it ensures their product still provides quality prints and prevents people from refilling the cartridges then complain when it prints a crappy photo.
    This is all it is. They're covering their ass against people who improperly refill, or refill using garbage ink, and then complain to Lexmark about the results.

It is just a big scheme. Printers have gone down to $40 and include a 'starter cartridge' and ink has gone up to $70 per.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

You got a lexmark... enuff said

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Mibz
    This is all it is. They're covering their ass against people who improperly refill, or refill using garbage ink, and then complain to Lexmark about the results.
    Still a rip off though. It should be the consumers choice whether to use quality ink upon refilling, or not.

If I put 87 octane in my twin turbo engine, I'm not going to complain to Audi that I don't have the power/mileage I should be getting.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    If I put 87 octane in my twin turbo engine, I'm not going to complain to Audi that I don't have the power/mileage I should be getting.
    But SOMEBODY will and unless Audi specifically says "Premium Only" then it's on -their- ass according to the law.

I completely agree that it's garbage but half the stupid shit companies do is done simply to cover their asses from soccer moms with a lawyer on speed-dial.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-17-2020 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

This printer is lucky it's so damn functional or I'd have returned it. It fits perfectly into my work area and is simple to use, and cartridges aren't THAT expensive for it. Still, I am kind of pissed that I had to agree to certain terms and conditions to use a product that I purchased.

They should have a BIGASS STICKER on the top of the box, not a bunch of little words that no one without perfect vision would see.

</rant x 2>

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

The Lexmark product has always disappointed me in the first place; no sweat off my brow.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

Originally posted by Kritafo

But I highly recommend Tondar computer Corp in Pacific Place mall, they sell printers that hook right up to giant jugs of ink for under $100.00 best thing I ever did. I haven't needed to buy ink in years.
    i googled the pacific place mall and i get seattle as the first link,

is there anywhere in calgary that sells this type of product, that sounds like a sweet deal.

my ink costs like 45$ a pop, now i mostly do printing at school, id rather pay 8 cents a side and get screwed slowly that 45$ and get screwed hard all at once

My Ride
    Audi

Dude if you guys are pissed at the EUA for a printer, don't read the eula for a microsoft product.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Complete rip-off.

I haven't bought NEW ink in about 10 years.

Print quality is fine, and I do not feel obliged to be ripped of into paying 10x more for "their" ink.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Originally posted by Pihsiak
    You got a lexmark... enuff said

its not just lexmark that uses the chipped ink tanks.

parents purchased an expensive canon mp530 (i think), pixma printer only allows for canon specific cartridges that magically run low when theres still visibly ink left in the clear cartridges, and the software supplied with the printer goes nuts with error messages teh second an ink tank has run through its interval of ink. no way in hell im paying more than $11/cartridge that the refill island places in malls offer for that printer.

printer has a total of 5 cartridges, black/black(pigment based)/and 3 colours.

i miss the older priinters where u could replace it all on your own, but i guess for $11/cartridge, cant go wrong just swapping it at the mall, they havent' failed me yet...
    Last edited by soupey; 01-18-2009 at 07:41 PM.

lexmark is the worst printer brand IMO...

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by chkolny541

i googled the pacific place mall and i get seattle as the first link,

is there anywhere in calgary that sells this type of product, that sounds like a sweet deal.

my ink costs like 45$ a pop, now i mostly do printing at school, id rather pay 8 cents a side and get screwed slowly that 45$ and get screwed hard all at once
    PACIFIC PLACE MALL

999 36 St NE,
    Calgary, AB

It's got the cheap Theatres and the T & T supermarket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast