Quantcast
Firefox Search Properties Changing For No Reason - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Firefox Search Properties Changing For No Reason

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Firefox Search Properties Changing For No Reason

Ok, my monthly computer problems are back here in 2009. The address bar searching in firefox will change occassionally from the default google im feeling lucky search to a website that is www.wcsearch.com/blahblahblah. It will run it through that website as i can see it in the properties bar and then will return the regular google search page but with google ads at the tops which I do not regularly see. I have run spybot, malwarebytes and windows defender and they have all come up with nothing. It is the keyword.URL property in the config for firefox, so I can just reset it but what could be modifying it to the other website.

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

If it was me I would uninstall firefox and run eusing free registry cleaner. Then run regedit and make sure I have no mozilla or firefox references left in the registry. Then download and install two or three trial versions of various AV softwares, but I am paranoid.

You can just reset it. Then download and run ccleaner to clear your history and garbage off your machine. This will speed up the scan when you go to panda's active scan from infectedornot.com to see if you have anything else.

^note that scan takes a long time but its thorough.

If it finds something just download a trial verson or two of some decent av solutions and run them (eset, panda, kapersky)

My Ride
    Grimace

I will have to try the registry bit when I get home, tried uninstalling and running antivirus and spyware scans indepth which took hours and they came up with nothing.
    thanks

edit, i searched through the registry and there was a URL value with the search website so I changed it to the default google one so hopefully that fixes it.
    Last edited by schocker; 01-20-2009 at 05:51 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Hmm, going through the registry there was one value for firefox and then i added the google url as a new value and if i search through the registry now the wcsearch website never comes up but it still changes back to it, what could be causing it to change and modify its value if nothing has been found by various programs.

My Ride
    '21 BMW X5 X40i mSport

I have the same problem. If I change the keyword.url value in Firefox to the default google value, it is changed back to wcsearch as soon as I restart Firefox... Right now I'm just avoiding using the address bar to search, but there must be a fix for this?

My Ride
    '21 BMW X5 X40i mSport

I think I've taken care of this... search through your Documents and Settings folder for a user.js file, and remove the line that changes your keyword.url setting... then do the same in the prefs.js file in Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\