Quantcast
"Alleged" Hit & Run Driver Arrested - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: "Alleged" Hit & Run Driver Arrested

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Default "Alleged" Hit & Run Driver Arrested

Hours after a Calgary woman was killed by a hit-and-run driver, a motorist reporting a minor fender bender to police was charged with her death.

Something about the driver's story didn't ring true with the police officer manning the front counter at District 2 office at about 3 p. m. Sunday.

"Sometimes something twigs in your mind,"said traffic Sgt. Graeme Ramsay.

The man's behaviour led police to believe he was a suspect in the hit and run collision that killed Sandra Casey hours earlier.

After questioning the man further, police released him. They arrived at his southwest house Sunday night armed with a warrant to search his garage.

Police have seized a white 2007 Mitsubishi Galant with front-end damage.

Stavros Steve Costoulas, 43, of Calgary, is charged with hit and run causing death.

News of an arrest in Casey's death has brought a measure of relief to her loved ones.

"It's helped a little bit. It's still painful but it's helped a lot," said Terry Wheeler, whose son and daughter own Money Pennies Eatery & Bar, where Casey had been working that night.

The married 45-year-old, also known as McEvoy, was filling in for a kitchen-staff member recovering from surgery.

She was also a regular at the Sunalta-area pub and was friends with the owners. She accepted a ride home from the bartender, and as she was crossing the street, she was struck by an oncoming car.

It is unclear how fast the car was travel-ling in the unposted 50 km/h zone.

One witness said the car appeared to be speeding, but police say they believe the vehicle was travelling close to the speed limit.

People raced to Casey's side hoping to offer help, but she was mortally injured. She was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Roads were clear and the area was lit with street lamps.

As friends and patrons gathered at the pub Tuesday, talk turned to the accused driver.

"Some of the customers said they feel bad for his family. They didn't want this. I wasn't thinking about him, but they were," said Wheeler.

"I think it says a lot about someone that they would try to pull the wool over your eyes," he said of the accused driver's failure to report the deadly collision.

Bar staff are planning a fundraiser to offset the costs of returning Casey's body to her native Ireland. They estimate the costs could be as much as $7,000.

A concert featuring Casey's favourite local bands is planned Saturday at 3 p. m. at Money Pennies, at 1742 10th Ave. S. W.
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ch...595/story.html

What an idiot.

RIP to the woman.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

yea no shit. i'm guessing that dude was tanked and ran into her somehow. you would think as a pedestrian that walking on the sidewalk would be safe... maybe he swerved or maybe she had a few drinks too and walked/fell into his way. whatever happened, you can't fault the woman who was just walking home from work.

does anyone know what kind of charges that guy would've faced if he was drunk and killed her and stayed at the scene, vs. killing her and leaving the scene of an accident?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

^

Drunk or sober, I have to think that they'd throw the book at you a little harder for running away and trying to hide it than if you stayed and came clean. Not that it means much anyways, I'd be shocked to shit to see any prison time actually come out of it. Nothing says justice like some house arrest and probation....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by nonlinear
    you would think as a pedestrian that walking on the sidewalk would be safe...
    The article quoted says she was crossing the street when struck.

My Ride
    (s13 p.o.s 3years +) 97 pathfinder

Originally posted by nonlinear
    yea no shit. i'm guessing that dude was tanked and ran into her somehow. you would think as a pedestrian that walking on the sidewalk would be safe... maybe he swerved or maybe she had a few drinks too and walked/fell into his way. whatever happened, you can't fault the woman who was just walking home from work.

does anyone know what kind of charges that guy would've faced if he was drunk and killed her and stayed at the scene, vs. killing her and leaving the scene of an accident?
    im guessing he would only get "hit and run causing death" maybe a 5 years + alrdy time served.

me and my gf/family are going thru the process of court, of the person who killed her brother and his friend in a double fatal hit and run. It really does suck...i hope this person gets the book hard.

Originally posted by szw

The article quoted says she was crossing the street when struck.
    she probably assumed that the driver would obey the ridiculous calgary custom of stopping traffic to allow peds to cross the road. maybe he was drunk or maybe he just didn't see her (i mean it was the middle of the night). now that i think about it, it's hard to place blame, but he was probablly drunk if he left the scene (otherwise it might be easy to argue that he just didn't see her).

what a tough situation.

in any other place i've ever been in the world, peds look both ways and wait for the road to clear before crossing. here, people just dart out without even looking.

Originally posted by gen2teggy

im guessing he would only get "hit and run causing death" maybe a 5 years + alrdy time served.

me and my gf/family are going thru the process of court, of the person who killed her brother and his friend in a double fatal hit and run. It really does suck...i hope this person gets the book hard.
    sorry to hear about your loss

My Ride
    Kirov, rx-7

Is he indeed guilty or is he still a suspect?

^^we'll, he hasn't been convicted yet of course, but i think they found the car etc. so there is probably suitable evidence

EDIT:
    "[Sgt.] Ramsay said there's no indication alcohol or speed were involved. Collision reconstructionists have found the vehicle was travelling close to the unposted speed limit of 50 km/h, he added."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...un-charge.html

but get this - apparently, he went into the cop shop the next day and tried to file a car accident report. the dude at the counter grew suspicious and they executed a search warrant on his garage.

so, he didn't have to balls to turn himself in, and it looks like they didn't have many leads so he probably could've gotten away if he had been quiet about it. but instead he lies and reports a car accident?!?!?! dude sounds like a first-class idiot!
    Last edited by nonlinear; 01-21-2009 at 12:11 PM.

My Ride
    Kirov, rx-7

k the thing I don't understand is how they are supposed to convict him if he doesn't confess.

Lets just give him the benefit of the doubt and say he did hit a dog (or whatever) and the cops were just paranoid. Were their any witnesses, and what are they supposed to find in his garage?

for example, say you hit anything other than a person that night and you walked into the cop shop that Stavros did a minute earlier than him... Would they have tried going after you on the basis that your had suspicious behavior? Face it to cops every one is acting suspicious.

Simply put: What else links him to the crime besides being in an accident the exact same night? And of course acting suspicious.

lol @ him going into the cop shop to get an accident sticker

My Ride
    (s13 p.o.s 3years +) 97 pathfinder

they woud use EVIDENCE from the scene(i.e. bloodtransfer), video or eye witness. Crime scene reconstruction, is a pretty cool thing. I believe they have to prove he is guilty and was driving the car at that time.

Originally posted by semograd
    k the thing I don't understand is how they are supposed to convict him if he doesn't confess.

Lets just give him the benefit of the doubt and say he did hit a dog (or whatever) and the cops were just paranoid. Were their any witnesses, and what are they supposed to find in his garage?

for example, say you hit anything other than a person that night and you walked into the cop shop that Stavros did a minute earlier than him... Would they have tried going after you on the basis that your had suspicious behavior? Face it to cops every one is acting suspicious.

Simply put: What else links him to the crime besides being in an accident the exact same night? And of course acting suspicious.
    Ever see a vehicle after it hit an animal? It isn't pretty, there is blood and hair all over it, inside the hood, through the grill etc. Looks a lot different than hitting a human.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Kirov, rx-7

Originally posted by gen2teggy
    they woud use EVIDENCE from the scene(i.e. bloodtransfer), video or eye witness. Crime scene reconstruction, is a pretty cool thing. I believe they have to prove he is guilty and was driving the car at that time.
    Of course. But if they don't have dna of the chick on his car (they probably would) and he doesn't confess I don't think the cops would have a leg to stand on.

Originally posted by 403Gemini

Ever see a vehicle after it hit an animal? It isn't pretty, there is blood and hair all over it, inside the hood, through the grill etc. Looks a lot different than hitting a human.
    what does hitting a human look like?

Originally posted by semograd

Of course. But if they don't have dna of the chick on his car (they probably would) and he doesn't confess I don't think the cops would have a leg to stand on.

what does hitting a human look like?
    Here is the constellation of facts that would likely lead to why he ended up being charged (keep in mind this is from my experience in doing hit and runs and how I would view it based on the little bit of knowledge I have of the incident):

1) Undoubtedly he identified himself as the driver at the time of the collision he was reporting;

2) He would have had to fill out a collision statement, and there were likely inconsistencies in what his statements said regarding how the "collision" took place, where it happened, what time, etc;

3) When the officer went out to inspect the vehicle for purposes of filling out a damage sticker, he likely noted damage consistent with that of what police were looking for, along with other signs that the vehicle hit a person and not another object - which are easily discernible;

4) He is likely the owner of the vehicle, and given the fact that it appeared to be involved in this hit and run, he is responsible for it if he cannot explain away who else could have possibly been driving at the time;

5) Other evidence gathered at the scene that would have been used in concert with his statement, the condition of the vehicle, and the likelihood that the "collision" he was reporting happened relatively recent to the hit and run, which were enough to convince a judge that a search warrant was justified.

There are lots of grounds to stand on here... Remember that young girl that was struck and killed across from Southcenter Mall a few years back? That was a tremendous amount of police work to find and charge the offender, with even less connection between the offender and the offence due to the length of time - but with all the facts in place, he was convicted.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

My friends niece was the first person on the scene.. i guess the lady didnt die right away. Horrible to hear about stuff like this happening but our parents told us to look both ways before crossing the street when we're 5. That lesson still rings true today.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Horrible to hear about stuff like this happening but our parents told us to look both ways before crossing the street when we're 5. That lesson still rings true today.
    Remember people, right of way is only a suggestion, not law of physic.

My Ride
    E90 335i

I know the guy who is the driver. This really shows how an accidently like this messes up two families. I always used to say, throw the book at the driver, hang him etc. But now that I see the agony his family is going through, makes me wonder. Either way, two lives are ruined, one forever.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

Originally posted by B17a
    I know the guy who is the driver. This really shows how an accidently like this messes up two families. I always used to say, throw the book at the driver, hang him etc. But now that I see the agony his family is going through, makes me wonder. Either way, two lives are ruined, one forever.
    I posted an article today on Sandra's facebook page, but before you go there there's a few things you and the others that have their opinions (looking both ways) need to understand.

First, Stavros (Steve)'s family may feel like they know agony, but they still have their son and brother. Secondly, I know what happened that night on the street....the accident reconstruction, the evidence on the car, etc.... Agony as you wright, is not worrying about how long your son or brother might go to jail for something he did. Agony is saying 'see you later' to someone you love and the next time you see them physically is only a handful of hours after they have been embalmed, the smell of chemicals that you never forget....

Today, April 29, Stavros entered the plea of guilty, but we know it's not because he wanted to take responsibility, but because of the evidence, he had no choice. When he has been sentenced, I will post the evidence, at which point (regardless if you know him or not), you will be asking the same question we do. We know the what, we know the when, we know the how, but.....we don't know the why, the 'what the hell was he doing'.

My name is Debra Ann Boniface, and Sandra Casey/McEvoy was my wife...and I hope before you come to your conclusions that you will wait for the REAL evidence....there IS more to this that Stavros Steve Costoulas just hitting my wife and taking off, at lot more, and just because the police don't have the evidence to proove it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Where Sandra was when Costoulas hit her, his reaction (or lack of) only prooves one thing. Stavros Costoulas has a secret...

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...494&topic=9957

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

asd;lkfjasdfasdasdfasdfkljaslfjasdf

wheres the fuckin popcorn
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast