Quantcast
Did you know the Global temps have decreased over last 10 years? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you know the Global temps have decreased over last 10 years?

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Default Did you know the Global temps have decreased over last 10 years?

Researchers, like politicians, all have an agenda imho!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7786060.stm

The world in 2008 has been cooler than at any time since the turn of the century, scientists say.

Cooling La Nina conditions in the Pacific brought temperatures down to levels last seen in the year 2000.

The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) notes that temperatures remained about 0.3C above the 1961-1990 average.

Computer models suggest that natural cycles may cool the Earth's surface in the next few years, masking the warming impact of rising greenhouse gas levels.

Human influence, particularly emission of greenhouse gases, has greatly increased the chance of having such warm years
    Peter Stott, UK Met Office

El Nino/La Nina explained

One recent analysis suggested there may be no warming for about the next decade, though other scientists dispute the conclusion.

What is beyond dispute is that 2008 saw temperatures a shade below preceding years.

Using data from two major monitoring networks, one co-ordinated by the UK's Hadley Centre and University of East Anglia (UEA) and the other by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa), the WMO reports that despite the cooling, 2008 still ranks among the 10 warmest years on record.

At 14.3C, the average temperature for the year was significantly above the 14.0C average for the 1961-1990 period, a commonly used baseline.

Temperatures are about 0.7C above pre-industrial times.

Peter Stott, head of climate monitoring and attribution at the UK Met Office of which the Hadley Centre is a part, suggested that in previous decades 2008 would have stood out as unusually warm.
    Weather station
    Data is recorded at thousands of weather stations

"Human influence, particularly emission of greenhouse gases, has greatly increased the chance of having such warm years," he said.

Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (Giss), which produces its own record of atmospheric temperature, agreed that 2008 was the coolest year since the turn of the century.

But Giss still ranks it as the ninth warmest since 1880.

The warmest of all remains 1998, when exceptionally strong El Nino conditions added to rising greenhouse gas levels sent thermometers to an average of about 14.5C.

"The most important component of year-to-year variability in global average temperatures is the phase and amplitude of equatorial sea surface temperatures in the Pacific that lead to La Nina and El Nino events," observed UEA's Dr Phil Jones.

Millennial warmth

John Christy, a scientist noted for taking a cautious approach to the likely impacts of human-induced climate change, agreed that the Earth's atmosphere had warmed by about 0.4C over 30 years.

His own research team at the University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) produces global temperature data from satellite readings, and uses weather balloons to verify the satellite record.

Professor Christy suggested that the trend in the immediate future would be decided by whether conditions in the Pacific veer towards El Nino or La Nina.

THE 10 WARMEST YEARS
    1998 - 14.52C
    2005 - 14.48C
    2003 - 14.46C
    2002 - 14.46C
    2004 - 14.43C
    2006 - 14.42C
    2007 - 14.40C
    2001 - 14.40C
    1997 - 14.36C
    2008 - 14.31C
    Data: Met Office Hadley Centre

"If you look at the 30-year graph of month-to-month temperature anomalies, the most obvious feature is the series of warmer than normal months that followed the major El Nino Pacific Ocean warming event of 1997-1998," he said.

"Right now we are coming out of one La Nina Pacific Ocean cooling event, and we might be heading into another.

"It should be interesting over the next several years to see whether the post La Nina climate 're-sets' to the cooler seasonal norms we saw before 1997, or the warmer levels seen since then."

The effect of El Nino and La Nina conditions are one reason why scientists prefer to average temperatures over 10-year periods, which smoothes out the annual variations and gives a better picture of long-term trends.

On average, the decade from 1990 to 1999 was 0.23C above the 1961-1990 baseline, while in the period 2000-2008 it was 0.40C over, indicating a warming trend.

It is almost certain that the first decade of this century will turn out to have been significantly warmer than the last decade of the last century, notwithstanding the freak El Nino year of 1998.

The question for the next decade or so will be whether natural cycles such as the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation continue to moderate the warming effect of rising greenhouse gas concentrations.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Cos...

Default Re: Did you know the Global temps have decreased over last 10 years?

Originally posted by old&slow
    Did you know the Global temps have decreased over last 10 years?
    Originally posted by old&slow
    On average, the decade from 1990 to 1999 was 0.23C above the 1961-1990 baseline, while in the period 2000-2008 it was 0.40C over, indicating a warming trend.
    Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Old news...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/210394/gl...l-cooling-now/

Known this for a while now. It's more than an anomaly at this point, it's a trend. But nobody gives a fuck. Global warming guys just call it climate change now. Gotta figure out a way to sell more carbon credits.

Look at that... direct correlation with temperatures! Cant wait till 2010 and beyond when shit gets warm again. Definately buying a new convertible in 2012... looks like we're gonna have 3 kickass summers there!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

What does that trend look like if they keep going back a hundred years?

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Sunspot activity has more to do with climate change than greenhouse gas emissions.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Originally posted by The Cosworth
    watched the whole thing...very interesting.
    makes a lot of sense!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by ianmcc
    Sunspot activity has more to do with climate change than greenhouse gas emissions.
    Hasnt the mean solar output increased by something 0.1% during the last 50 years?

(conveniently raising global temps)

My Ride
    CBR600RR

IIRC, if you compare the trends in temperatures on earth, they are very similar to the trends on Mars, meaning that we may not be the most important things in the universe as Al Gore and David Suzuki would have you believe.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Martians are retards.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'd love it if the earth were warming, I'm tire of Canada's winters.

On a more serious note, I don't give a rats ass if scientists are wrong or right about global warming, personally I still think we need to take hard measures about pollution, if for no other reason then our quality of breathing air.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by The Cosworth
    This.

what you are observing is residual variation. from year to year, there are going to be relative 'ups' and 'downs,' but what is really important is the moving mean temperature, which is undoubtedly increasing.

this article is just another attempt by the media to scare up some attention to their papers and sites.

scientists do not have an 'agenda,' as someone suggested - there are just way too many egos, different funding agencies, competition for jobs, etc. for there to be a concerted conspiracy among scientists to scare people or whatever.

actually, if you want to see a conspiracy, look at the NASA climate reports that were basically rewritten by the Bush administration to hide the evidence of increasing global mean temperatures. one of the big shots at NASA climate research resigned over this... i saw him talk about it at the American Geophysical Union annual meeting in SF a few years ago. i can get more info on this if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by nonlinear; 01-20-2009 at 12:02 PM.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by nonlinear
    this article is just another attempt by the media to scare up some attention to their papers and sites.
    You mean like we'll all be drowning in the ocean in 15 years?
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Originally posted by Eleanor

You mean like we'll all be drowning in the ocean in 15 years?
    Hopefully not, Waterworld was a terrible movie.

My Ride
    FAT tires

Everytime I hear about climate change I change the channel... 99% of people out there are very misinformed.

The climate IS changing, always has and always will. Climate records that date back to the 60's are worthless. Its like saying we will have a 14.372 degree day because at 6:37:16.15am it was that temperature. There is more to climate than carbon dioxide, its just hard to convince people of that because of guys like gore and suzuki.

I think the real thing here is climate change is big business. As long as enough people are making enough money it will be a problem...

Last edited by nonlinear; 12-15-2009 at 06:21 PM.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by cosmok

Hopefully not, Waterworld was a terrible movie.

then I

Cos...

global warming

Institute for Liberty (IFL) has taken data from federal agencies, environmentalist organizations and news agencies to extrapolate the estimated environmental impact for the 2009 Inauguration. It concludes that the 600 private jets expected to fly visitors to and from the capital city will produce 25,320,000 pounds of CO2, with personal vehicles accounting for 262,483,200 pounds of the odorless gas.

Indeed, during the Inaugural Parade, horses alone will produce more than 400 pounds of carbon dioxide, with the total carbon footprint for the day likely exceeding 575 million pounds of CO2.

In comparison, it would take the average U.S. household 57,598 years to produce a carbon footprint equal to that of the new President's housewarming party.

I can't wait for these climate changes laws to occur by Obama.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast