Quantcast
i need advice from someone who knows cars well. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: i need advice from someone who knows cars well.

Default i need advice from someone who knows cars well.

i came across a '77 buick elektra limited. hardtop. it has 100k miles. its a friend of mines and he said hed sell it to me for 2 grand. is this reasonable? and would it be hard to ind parts for that car? if not where could i find parts? thank you.

anyone? please.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

is it reasonable? All depending on how it runs, if you like the car etc. Take it to a mechanic make sure that it is in good running condition and can pass a safety inspection. If you have a good mechanic ask him for his opinion on the car. Call around to some different wreckers and ask them if they have some of these cars for parts availability

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

well from the year and the make of the car, it is true that it would be quite difficult and unlikely to find specific parts for that make. do a standard test for the car, mileage is not the only indicator of quality.
    take it for a test drive.
    do the oil check (park the car for 5 mins, then drive it a few meters, get out of the car and check for oil stains on the ground where it was just parked).
    do a visual inspection for scratches, rust, paint etc.
    if you don't trust your own intution, you can always get it professionally inspected.

and from that point, whether YOU believe it is worth 2000 is up to you, I don't think any of us would be in the position to say so unless we inspected the cars ourselves.

My Ride
    FG, S14, Caliber SRT4

the good thing about those cars is parts are everywhere, new and used. If there is no rust and the interior is good, it's sounds like a good deal

yes, ive driven the car twice, it drives beautifully, interior is immaculate....as far as i can tell nothing is wrong with it....there are a few things that could be fixed but nothing that has anything to do with the engine...i was just looking for asome advice because i do not know alot about cars. thanks though!!

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by jmoae
    yes, ive driven the car twice, it drives beautifully, interior is immaculate....as far as i can tell nothing is wrong with it....there are a few things that could be fixed but nothing that has anything to do with the engine...i was just looking for asome advice because i do not know alot about cars. thanks though!!
    well, there are just so many different aspects to a car that are subjective...you may not like it for a single reason that somebody may overlook, and vice versa.

if you're happy to dish out 2000 bucks on your "feelings" for the car, that's your call and it's fine.

but if u want to see it in black and white, just get it inspected...it's worth your money.

My Ride
    pedals

well its a gay car. if you have no problems with that then go for it. But be warned, its gay. Its not a car to come hear and talk about upgrading - more likely fixing as it is a GM product.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by hjr
    well its a gay car. if you have no problems with that then go for it. But be warned, its gay. Its not a car to come hear and talk about upgrading - more likely fixing as it is a GM product.

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

GET A GRAND NATIONAL INSTEAD! STUPID QUICK

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Originally posted by rice_eater
    GET A GRAND NATIONAL INSTEAD! STUPID QUICK

Excellent advice !! Grand Nationals are very common , and cost about the same....
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0