Quantcast
looking to go from 130 to 145-150... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: looking to go from 130 to 145-150...

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Default looking to go from 130 to 145-150...

I've been working out since the beginning of the year, I'm pretty slight; 5'6", 130 lbs, but a great physique. I'm looking to add muscle mass, up to about 145-150 lbs, I'm on a protien/carb watching diet, any suggestions to help add the weight? Has anyone been in my situation and had good results from a training program or diet? I work out 3-4 times a week, doing one specific muscle group per workout(one day biceps, next day triceps....) and I'm doing the 1g-of-protien-for-each-pound-of my goal weight thing...

eat 3 times as much as your used to... do practically no cardio and wear a 60lb backpack everywhere.. and workout harder.

My Ride
    WRX STI

When i started working out not too long ago I was 140 pounds and 6 feet tall.

I work out about 4-5 times a week, concentration on 2 muscle groups a day.

Heavy Weight - low reps

bi's and tri's
    Chest and back
    Legs and shoulders

You can do abs everyday because your abs can take a beating.

Then after 6 weeks or whatever you feel is right for you ( to keep your body from platueing) switch it up.

bi's and back
    tri's and chest
    Legs and shoulders.

Eating lots will give you the most gain, i also take 1 or 2 proteins shakes (muscle juice) Per day.

Once you have gotten a good handle on gaining and routeins, you can introduce things like creatine. Taken before and after work outs.

You will always need to be switching up your routein at the gym. A good mix of free weights and cable weights.

Later down the road you can try full days of one mucsle group or super sets will always give you a nice muscle burn.

I have been doing this and gained about 20 pounds so far. Could of gained alot more if i could be more religious with my protien shakes and eating alot bigger meals.

Do next to no cardio for now. (a little on legs day to help warm up is fine)

You can do some cardio later on as well when you need to start toning up.

Thought id just share some tips from my experince so far. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by teggypimp95; 01-23-2009 at 12:44 PM.

My Ride
    Integra Type R

squats
    wh...?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Why are you isolating muscle groups when you don't have a solid muscle base? You want big lifts: squats, dead lifts, bench press, chin ups, dips, presses, etc. Get rid of your isolation exercises.

Seriously, that and diet is all you need. Make sure you are clean bulking and you'll be fine.

Eat enough for two people and train twice as hard as everyone else. You'll grow, its that simple.

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

Originally posted by teggypimp95
    When i started working out not too long ago I was 140 pounds and 6 feet tall.

Damn, that sounds dangerously unhealthy. But for skinny individuals, with very quick metabolism, they have to do absolutely no cardio and just lift weights and they'll still look toned.

My Ride
    (s13 p.o.s 3years +) 97 pathfinder

im 5'6 122 pounds
    no matter how much i eat and i eat like a cow...i cant seem to gain anything.
    i should try a workout routine. If i have time too do anything.

My Ride
    WRX STI

Originally posted by WWJAI

Damn, that sounds dangerously unhealthy. But for skinny individuals, with very quick metabolism, they have to do absolutely no cardio and just lift weights and they'll still look toned.
    It may sound unheathly but BMI was just fine, I looked more than 140 but i dident have much muscle mass on me.

I do have a crazy fast metabolism. So you just need to work twice as hard, and eat twice as much to over come that. Its like swimming agaist a strong current.

My Ride

Originally posted by gen2teggy
    im 5'6 122 pounds
    no matter how much i eat and i eat like a cow...i cant seem to gain anything.
    i should try a workout routine. If i have time too do anything.
    I'm the same way, it's hard for me to gain weight unless I train, but building muscle is better than getting fat anyway!

My Ride

Originally posted by A790
    Why are you isolating muscle groups when you don't have a solid muscle base? You want big lifts: squats, dead lifts, bench press, chin ups, dips, presses, etc. Get rid of your isolation exercises.

Seriously, that and diet is all you need. Make sure you are clean bulking and you'll be fine.
    Well, I like to work one muscle group at a time, so I don't use up energy working different muscle groups, I'd like to focus on building one at a time, and putting all my energy for that workout into that muscle group.

for me i was 130 when i left high school, 4 years ago.

im now 170 and 5`8

i managed to get to 150 just about last year, than i got a DT job and ate fastfood and all that shit and gained 5 pounds and 2 inches on my waist.

I went back down to 145 just before july 08, than started working out like crazy and eating like a pic, whatever i could eat i ate.

went to 172, and that was working out 3 times a week and only doing isolation exercises (my mistake sure i made really good gains but if i had done big compound exercises.

i made the mistake and had the mentality that i needed to do lots of exercises, like taking 2 hours of just working on your chest and tris, with a 2 minute rest between sets. And i would do no cardio.

now i work out for an hour and 15 minutes of that is cardio. And i have already noticed gains already.

up to you, i made crazy newbie gains during july 08 to january 09 with my old way of working out.

listen to everyone when they say compound.

like others have said, EAT, focus on compound exercises until you have a decent base, and EAT.

+1 for compound.

you know whats really funny though.

when i bench press more than i can squat and deadlift.

its pretty embarassing ahahah, but that will soon change

My Ride

So I'm hearing a lot of doing more than one muscle group per workout? I mean, I don't spent a ton of time on the one muscle group I am working, maybe 2-3 different exercises. I am eating more, I've been told I should be taking in about 1700-1750 calories a day, my BMI is usually around 1450 or so.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by Kennyredline

Well, I like to work one muscle group at a time, so I don't use up energy working different muscle groups, I'd like to focus on building one at a time, and putting all my energy for that workout into that muscle group.
    Sure that's reasonable. Why are you asking advice then?

If it works then do it, if not then listen to the advice.

By the way, most every routines will work if you eat enough. Skinny guys who say they eat a lot usually eat like fucking junior high girls.

Eating to gain involves dedication. Put down 7 meals a day. Also an apple and a protein bar isn't a meal. 7 oz of Sirloin steak, 2 bananas, 2 apples is a meal.

Eat up
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I am eating more, I've been told I should be taking in about 1700-1750 calories a day, my BMI is usually around 1450 or so.
    Is that for real? Who told you that?

I'm cutting eating 2800-3000 cals/day. You should be eating 3 times your amount to bulk.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    WRX STI

ya 1700-1750 is not nearly enought.

Just in my 2 protein shakes alone i am getting about 2300. You are going to need a ton more callories then what your use to if you expect to gain. PLus if your working out hard, you will be burning alot of callories then so you need to make up for that.

2-3 diffent exercises a day is ok if your just starting out.

Like said above do a little of everything each day to get your body conditioned.

The focus on 2 muscle groups a day and do at least 4 differnt exercises at least. Doing the most weight u can handle 8-10reps, 3 sets.

if you cant shift from first to second driving home from the gym becuase your arms are dead, then you have done a good job

My Ride

Originally posted by Darkane

Is that for real? Who told you that?

I'm cutting eating 2800-3000 cals/day. You should be eating 3 times your amount to bulk.
    My personal trainer told me that. I can't eat more than I am... most times it's enough trying to get the 1700 calories down as it is...I just can't fit in that much food!

My personal trainer told me that. I can't eat more than I am... most times it's enough trying to get the 1700 calories down as it is...I just can't fit in that much food!
    Then you will always be small. Man up and eat you vagine

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast