Quantcast
Parliament back in session tomorrow - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Parliament back in session tomorrow

Default Parliament back in session tomorrow

What's going to happen? Will the Liberals call for a motion of no confidence? How much longer does Harper have in power? If he presents a new budget without the elimination of vote subsidies, will it pass?

I'd say it passes, the Liberals seem happy enough that they don't want to go through the whole rigmarole of bringing down government, and I think Harper has learned to stick to running the government instead of trying to backstab the other parties.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The coalition is Dion's idea to keep his job which is why he was removed right the way.

Ignatieff will only want coalition as a bargaining chip but doesn't really believe in it. And really, who want to inherit this government when economy is bad. It's much easier to call an election when things stars to turn and blame the Tories for the bad economy (reference Bush Sr/Jr's last terms).

And sound like Harper is playing game now after his bluff was called. We will get a stable government until economy shows signs of recovery.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-25-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Well after 45 days all parties involved have had time to plan just how petty and childish they will be when they're asked to lead Canadians through these troubling times.

I can't wait.

It'll be a complete gong show. I hope we can tune into it live.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Antonito
    I'd say it passes, the Liberals seem happy enough that they don't want to go through the whole rigmarole of bringing down government, and I think Harper has learned to stick to running the government instead of trying to backstab the other parties.
    He should backstab other parties, they suck and are pretty much why Canada turned into a shithole.

Mr. Harper will be the one to dig us out with a majority. We need less liberal administration all across the board and a complete Conservative majority. Be gone with the liberal hooks, call an election and get the majority Harper!

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Originally posted by CUG

He should backstab other parties, they suck and are pretty much why Canada turned into a shithole.
    How have the Bloc or NDP in anyway affected the country's direction? How are the Liberals any more to blame than the CPC in the past 5 years?

The CPC cut the GST despite everybody telling them not to and along with some unecessary tax cuts,we are looking at $64B in deficit over the next 2 years, but the opposition is to blame?

Mr. Harper will be the one to dig us out with a majority. We need less liberal administration all across the board and a complete Conservative majority. Be gone with the liberal hooks, call an election and get the majority Harper!
    Mr. Harper will never get a majority. He's lost Quebec, he wont win urban Ontario, at best they'll match their current minority numbers.

I'm going to say it again, the CPC will never win a majority government with Stephen Harper as the leader. And sadly, they have no good prospects, Bernard Lord would probably run for the Liberals if he wanted to go into federal politics.

Originally posted by CUG

Yeah, this is kind of what I figured goes through the mind of the average Conservative. I've just never seen anyone actually put it in writing.

-advocating throwing the country into chaos just to be malicious? Check.

-Blaming parties that aren't in control for the way the country has turned out? Check

-Optimism about the parties ability to dominate completely separate from reality? Check.

Regardless, blaming either party for the trouble that Canada is in now is just flat out stupid. A year ago, sure, bicker about an underfunded school here, a bloated ad campaign there, Left, Right, whatever. Now? The Canadian government as a whole has about as much to do with the recession as a spectator at a hockey game. Look at the main problems Canada is having, does the government have anything to do with it?

-Auto industry failing and other manufacturers failing due to sever drop off in American demand? Nope.

-Oil prices tanking, lumber demand going down, etc? Nope

-Construction projects being abandoned due to American/International lenders not having the funds? Nope

The real impact the government, both Conservative and Coalition, is going to have, will be the policy used to get us out of this shit. At this point even the Conservatives admit that it's going to take deficit spending to keep people employed, so it looks like we're heading down the best path possible. It's an ugly, shitty path, but it beats the alternative, which is to just plug our ears and go "everything's fine, lalalalalalala stop asking me for a job"
    Last edited by Antonito; 01-26-2009 at 12:10 AM.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Antonito

Yeah, this is kind of what I figured goes through the mind of the average Conservative. I've just never seen anyone actually put it in writing.

-advocating throwing the country into chaos just to be malicious? Check.

-Blaming parties that aren't in control for the way the country has turned out? Check

-Optimism about the parties ability to dominate completely separate from reality? Check.

Regardless, blaming either party for the trouble that Canada is in now is just flat out stupid. A year ago, sure, bicker about an underfunded school here, a bloated ad campaign there, Left, Right, whatever. Now? The Canadian government as a whole has about as much to do with the recession as a spectator at a hockey game. Look at the main problems Canada is having, does the government have anything to do with it?

-Auto industry failing and other manufacturers failing due to sever drop off in American demand? Nope.

-Oil prices tanking, lumber demand going down, etc? Nope

-Construction projects being abandoned due to American/International lenders not having the funds? Nope

The real impact the government, both Conservative and Coalition, is going to have, will be the policy used to get us out of this shit. At this point even the Conservatives admit that it's going to take deficit spending to keep people employed, so it looks like we're heading down the best path possible. It's an ugly, shitty path, but it beats the alternative, which is to just plug our ears and go "everything's fine, lalalalalalala stop asking me for a job"
    Sure, roll in here and pretend the CPC could maneuver the way they wanted to with that scrawny little pussy Dione watching over everything, you dirty liberal apologist.

We're only in trouble because we couldn't put bills together that would actually save us, lest the libs vote it down and call another election.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

<=========

Originally posted by CUG
    Sure, roll in here and pretend the CPC could maneuver the way they wanted to with that scrawny little pussy Dione watching over everything, you dirty liberal apologist.

We're only in trouble because we couldn't put bills together that would actually save us, lest the libs vote it down and call another election.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Isaiah
    &lt;=========

You're implying that I'm totally fucking wrong. That's odd.

Originally posted by CUG

I'm sure the $30 million or so from Harper's attempt to kill the other parties would have bailed us out of this mess.

Of course it was Harper and the CPC who called the last election, trying to beat the Libs (and failed) then tried to use the opposition's precarious situation to rob them of money for the next election or have them go for another election, which just might have been enough to win a majority.

But you're obviously beyond delusional, though it seems many CPC supporters have the same view you do, which is preceisely why they wont win a majority. You don't actually have a clue what is going on or what the country actually wants, just like the folks in the CPC.

Originally posted by CUG

You mean the whole bunch of nothing that Harper wanted to do? It's not considered a maneuver if your stated plan is to just wait for shit to happen before doing anything about it.

And of course, he could have just worked with the other parties. But I guess that's just too hard to do

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by kertejud2

I'm sure the $30 million or so from Harper's attempt to kill the other parties would have bailed us out of this mess.

Of course it was Harper and the CPC who called the last election, trying to beat the Libs (and failed) then tried to use the opposition's precarious situation to rob them of money for the next election or have them go for another election, which just might have been enough to win a majority.

But you're obviously beyond delusional, though it seems many CPC supporters have the same view you do, which is preceisely why they wont win a majority. You don't actually have a clue what is going on or what the country actually wants, just like the folks in the CPC.
    GOOD! The liberals and the NDP are shit parties! They can get their own cash.

You seem to have forgotten that out here you liberal supporters are few and far between.

I'm completely behind any party that is fighting off eastern control of the entire country.

Originally posted by CUG
    GOOD! The liberals and the NDP are shit parties! They can get their own cash.
    Congrats on missing the point. Harper didn't have the power to actually pass such a bill.

You seem to have forgotten that out here you liberal supporters are few and far between.
    Well I'm a red tory, which would mean I support Ignatieff, but I fail to see how this matters in the discussion. You do realize that CPC supporters are few and far between in urban Ontario and Quebec, the most populated areas in the country.

I'm completely behind any party that is fighting off eastern control of the entire country.
    No such party exists, you need Eastern support to win majorities.

Hey CUG, which legislation that the CPC was proposing was going to fix the recession?

And be specific.

Seeing as how you're so confident that the Liberals were blocking this wonderful, world leading legislation, you must know quite a bit about it.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by CUG
    You're implying that I'm totally fucking wrong. That's odd.
    I wasn't implying and it's not odd. You are totally fucking wrong.

You're obviously a Tory sympathizer which is obvious by your blatant rhetoric on 3 separate threads. Calling people Liberal apologists and claiming that your beloved CPC can fix everything with a majority is not only delusional but also completely absurd.

My Ride
    Kirov, rx-7

I LOVE Stephen harper. Every last one of the people that dont support conservatives on this thread sound like a bunch of cry babies. Every time someone says that your party is shit you take it personally, get all emotional and start insulting one another.

How about trying to convince me why I should vote otherwise Instead of telling me that Harper is evil, has secret plans and that it was his fault that our economy has tanked. Use logic and reason to win an argument, don't be a bitch (hell if you did that you might even sway some votes).

My Ride
    CBR600RR

^

It's the CPC supporter (CUG) in this thread that looks like an idiot as he has in many other threads.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Originally posted by semograd
    I LOVE Stephen harper. Every last one of the people that dont support conservatives on this thread sound like a bunch of cry babies. Every time someone says that your party is shit you take it personally, get all emotional and start insulting one another.

How about trying to convince me why I should vote otherwise Instead of telling me that Harper is evil, has secret plans and that it was his fault that our economy has tanked. Use logic and reason to win an argument, don't be a bitch (hell if you did that you might even sway some votes).
    I'm not saying you should vote otherwise, I'm saying that if you want the CPC to have a majority, you should push for a change in leader.

Let me list the reasons:

-He pledged more federal contracts and grants than any other government in history to Quebec. This was a blatant attempt to gain support there, something he, and his party have greatly criticized in both the Martin and Chretien governments. He also gave the sovereignists a moral victory by declaring the Quebecois a nation, admittedly a meaningless move, but not to people in Quebec. Then after all of this, he cut arts funding leading up to the election (insulting artists along the way) and wanted to impose more conservatism in the justice system and didn't care about the environment, meaning he LOST support in Quebec, all after giving more than anybody to win it.

-He appointed ex Ontario PCs into main cabinet positions, and let them yap. Its one thing to appoint Jim Flahrety as Finance Minister, he was part of one of the most hated men in Ontario politics, so when he starts offering advice to the Ontario government, he should have been shut up by Harper, but there was nothing.

-He then broke his own election rules to call a pointless election to try to catch the Liberals off guard with a crappy leader...and couldn't get a majority against Stephane Dion.

-Harper cannot play nice with others.
    So here we were, amidst one of the greatest economic crisises on the world, and what does he do, with a minority government no less? He tries a move to cripple opposition parties because he lacked foresight that there was a third option other than accepting their own demise, calling an election (and accepting their demise). It was a stupid move and it bit him in the ass. Now the Liberals have a competent leader and Harper showed his true colours, and lost even more of Quebec in the process. And he showed less balls than Chretien (Jean fucking Chretien) when addressing the country by referring to separatists (English speech) as sovereignists (French) in the process. Do they not understand the concept of a MINORITY government?

-Against all advice, mere months after mentioning that there would be rough economic waters ahead, they cut the GST ahead of schedule and impose a handful of pointless tax cuts. Now we're headed for a $64B deficit over two years. Would a 6% GST have solved that? Of course not, but we're talking about ~$15B.

Shall I go on, or do you still think Harper is capable of winning a majority against Michael Ignatieff, a right-leaning Liberal who is very popular in Quebec, during a recession with the auto industry going under in urban Ontario? If you say yes, then its clear that reason and logic mean nothing to you because you're a flat out idiot with no understanding of how politics work in this country.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast