Quantcast
Fate of Shawnee Slopes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fate of Shawnee Slopes

My Ride
    Trailblazer SS

Default Fate of Shawnee Slopes

For those that are interested or have heard rumors about the possible sale of the Shaw-Nee golf course... here are the latest details following a meeting the developer hosted on Jan 22.

With very short notice, more than 300 angry community members packed the ballroom at the Delta Hotel in south Calgary on Jan. 22 to hear first-hand Geo-Energy Enterprises Ltd.’s plans to replace Shaw-Nee Slopes Golf Course with a massive condominium development.

Shaw-Nee Slopes Golf Course is 130 acres of mature green space in the heart of the Shawnee community. It is currently zoned Special Reserve, which PROTECTS it from residential development.

Geo-Energy plans to make a rezoning application to the City, which would pave the way for a massive condo development of 1,100 units. This would almost triple the current population of the community and dramatically impact already serious traffic issues.

Geo-Energy has an un-conditional offer placed on the golf course, with the deal closing this summer. DO THEY KNOW SOMETHING WE DON'T? How can they be so confident that the City will be so short sighted as to agree to this destruction of an established neighbourhood?

Rezoning this land sets a dangerous precedent. All land in Calgary currently zoned (S-R) Special Reserve – which includes ball diamonds, greenbelts, golf courses, etc. – could fall prey to developers eager to access land in established neighbourhoods.

If the rezoning application is turned down, the new owners will have to sell the land for the purpose it was intended – as recreational or park land (most likely taking a serious hit to the pocket book!)

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Default Re: Fate of Shawnee Slopes

Originally posted by TrailBlazerSS
    For those that are interested or have heard rumors about the possible sale of the Shaw-Nee golf course... here are the latest details following a meeting the developer hosted on Jan 22.

With very short notice, more than 300 angry community members packed the ballroom at the Delta Hotel in south Calgary on Jan. 22 to hear first-hand Geo-Energy Enterprises Ltd.’s plans to replace Shaw-Nee Slopes Golf Course with a massive condominium development.

Shaw-Nee Slopes Golf Course is 130 acres of mature green space in the heart of the Shawnee community. It is currently zoned Special Reserve, which PROTECTS it from residential development.

Geo-Energy plans to make a rezoning application to the City, which would pave the way for a massive condo development of 1,100 units. This would almost triple the current population of the community and dramatically impact already serious traffic issues.

Geo-Energy has an un-conditional offer placed on the golf course, with the deal closing this summer. DO THEY KNOW SOMETHING WE DON'T? How can they be so confident that the City will be so short sighted as to agree to this destruction of an established neighbourhood?

Rezoning this land sets a dangerous precedent. All land in Calgary currently zoned (S-R) Special Reserve – which includes ball diamonds, greenbelts, golf courses, etc. – could fall prey to developers eager to access land in established neighbourhoods.

If the rezoning application is turned down, the new owners will have to sell the land for the purpose it was intended – as recreational or park land (most likely taking a serious hit to the pocket book!)
    We just moved out of that area last year and I can't imagine the traffic nightmare from dropping in a couple thousand more residents. I had always hoped that someone would buy it and fix up the course itself. Great location, poorly maintained.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Trailblazer SS

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/238825/of...s-golf-course/
    Read my posts in this thread.
    Thanks, I'll check into this thread...

I noticed however the article you posted said the sale was conditional... it's NOT. The Developer said himself at the meeting that the offer is un-conditional. When asked about the possible zoning issue, he was very smug about the whole thing and pretty much said it didn't matter, the offer was un-conditional.

My Ride
    Trailblazer SS

oh, one more thing... the development is not just next to the LRT area as some have been lead to believe. It's actually condos (think an endless string of townhomes) that run right up the middle of the greens all the way up to Evergreen Street!

This 'thing' they presented was ugly to say the least!

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

edit: not at a liberty to speak on this manner
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 08-03-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"