Quantcast
LF: Welders, for TIG, MIG, Stainless and aluminum TIG - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: LF: Welders, for TIG, MIG, Stainless and aluminum TIG

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Post LF: Welders, for TIG, MIG, Stainless and aluminum TIG

To apply, you have to be VERY good at all the above. I mean that earnestly.
    As well, you need to be able to fit tanks, and any other projects to within 1/32" tolerance, or less most times. Stainless steel welding experience is quite an asset as well. Its different, challenging and stimulating work almost all the time.

For an interview, selected applicants will be subjected to a weld test showcasing your skills as a welder. When applying the applicant will need to provide at least two (2) welding references enclosed in the resume.
    Applicants selected for an interview will be called.
    This is for a metal fab shop located right off of Barlow and Peigan Tr. SE.
    Apply at [email protected]
    or call Shelton at (403) 248-9066
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 01-26-2009 at 09:44 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Miller

I don't want to ruin your thread but we are looking for someone similar at my shop and I started a thread here and not a single response. I'd try posting on some of the job sites with a few more people looking at them.

Good luck though.

My Ride

^ Yeah I saw that. I wasn't sure if you received any PM's about it regardless of the lack of replies in that thread, so I took a shot. There are LOTS of welders out there, but very few good ones I've found. So many hacks that come in and bomb the welding test, its surreal.
    I'm surprised there are such few welders in general on Beyond. You, Revhard, SR20 (that Nissan mechanic, I can never remember his user name) and perhaps a couple others that I dont know of.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

lots of money for sloppy work gets you sloppy welders. I am sure if you keep your postings up for a month or two you will have a couple good guys apply and the crap guys may go and improve their skills somewhere.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Miller

Ya it is tough, we've been getting a couple resumes daily and everyone that has come in for a weld test has done horribly. Seem to get a call almost everyday from B.C. or Quebec with people looking for work too, I guess alot of shops are slowing down elsewhere. Hopefully this will force tradespeople to sharpen up their skills and get a little better work ethic.

My Ride

^Word. The amount of resume's from guys in Ontario is incredible. Too bad they get turned down unless they're living here currently. Its better that way since at least then, they dont spend money they may not have flying out here for an interview, only to be rejected (potentially), then having to fly back out $$$$, as well as having to take time off of work.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I don't do too much welding anymore. Just whenever its needed for machine repairs or little jobs.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Sometimes you have to be willing to train the right person.
    I'm a 3rd yr apprentice right now and all i've ever used at my shop is smaw and gmaw, mostly smaw though. I havn't heard of many opportunities to get involved in TIG work.
    anyways, my shop is facing the 2nd set of layoffs here. 4 months ago there was more work then we could handle, ...they said 5 years worth, now the last 3 contracts have been cancelled and most of us will be out of work it looks like.
    good times.

My Ride

^ They'd be willing to train you or anybody else, if you're willing to learn and have a good attitude.
    Basically, the biggest thing is to have a great attitude and try your best. Even if all the person is good at is conventional stick/mig welding, then thats a big start. The other skills such as Stainless TIG or Alum TIG will come in time with training. There are two other welders there that are very very proficient at both.

The HR guy (Shelton) will be away for a while, but you can always leave a message.