Quantcast
Temporary resident and need advice on buying/registereing/insuring new car - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Temporary resident and need advice on buying/registereing/insuring new car

Default Temporary resident and need advice on buying/registereing/insuring new car

i'm in canada on a student visa and also a temporary resident permit. my 1991 j-body that i got for free is nearing the end of it's life (from an economic standpoint), and I need to get a new car. there are a few peculiarities that make my situation a bit difficult (to me at least), so bear with me.

1) I currently drive on a US driver's license, and my car is registered in the US at my permanent address. the reason i haven't gotten an alberta license is because when i went into the licensee place, they told me i didn't have to get one as long as i drove with a copy of my student visa on me.

2) I received a DUI in canada a few years back (biggest mistake of my life and i learned a lesson - beleive me - so please don't flame me for that). i'm just wondering since I don't have an alberta license, will this affect my ability to get an alberta license, register a car in alberta under my name, and will it affect my insurance rates (can they track this if it's a US license?). My driving probation has been over for a long time now, so i'm legal to drive, just wondering how it will affect the things listed above.

3) what do i need to register a car in alberta? do i need an alberta license, etc?

i know i have more questions, but i can't remember them all right now, so i'm sure i'll have more later in the thread.

pm'd

thanks again dannie