Quantcast
Behind the Wheel - Bullying a New Driver - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Behind the Wheel - Bullying a New Driver

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

Default Behind the Wheel - Bullying a New Driver

It was not uncommon to be told that a new driver sign was not being displayed because adults took the sign as a signal to bully the new driver. I thought that was just a convenient excuse to give the policeman when you couldn't be bothered to make sure that the required sign was in place. After all, who wouldn't realize that a new driver deserved more room and a little leeway for mistakes because they were just beginning their driving career?

Fast forward to today's drive home from work. I looked left to see that I had been overtaken by a Jeep being driven by a driver displaying the N of a novice driver. That driver wasn't significantly over the speed limit but it was the behaviour of the adult piloting the four wheel drive pickup twice the size of that Jeep following behind it that upset me. There was about 2 meters of space between their bumpers at 80+ km/h. While the Jeep was centered in the fast lane, the truck was half on the left shoulder and half in the fast lane. He wanted by NOW!

This "adult" probably realized that they would be less likely to face consequences for their aggressive driving because young drivers rarely report it to police. In fact, I did not often investigate a driving incident of this nature where the complainant, young or old, was willing to back up a request for charges with a court appearance. If traffic enforcement is not present to intervene, this is the only way that the offending driver can be sanctioned for their disregard of others.

For this novice, the lesson learned may not have been a good one. Adults cannot be trusted to do the right thing in traffic, youth are taken advantage of or perhaps even that it does not matter how you drive, as long as you don't crash there's nothing to worry about. Instead, I hope that the resolve was not to drive like this inconsiderate bully because driving safely matters to us all.

Add Your Comment to the Story
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel at http://www.drivesmartbc.ca

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

I think theres alot of bullying in general going on, on our roads. Do you know who i notice does it the most? Trucks, regular size trucks are less agressive than the bigger trucks, but chances are, if somebody is riding my ass its a truck wanting to do 140, 150km/hr. This speed estimate is as i say, an estimate, but im doing 125 (on the hiway 2, not deerfoot) and they blow by me like im standing still when i move over. I saw a show on tv once, and it was about how in europe, truck drivers, as in big rigs, would bully cars pretty much off the road because they got away with it, and they developed a complex, which was "im the biggest, its my road ,get out of my way". I dont know if its just me, but this is just what I notice.

I bully new drivers if they are going 20 in a 60 like they always do on 32nd ave. Or if they stop at a stop sign and forget that its not a red light