Quantcast
Alberta Landlord / Tenant Questions / FAQ - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Landlord / Tenant Questions / FAQ

What would beyond landlords do about a situation where a tenant was keeping multiple pets not listed on the lease? I have a renter that listed one cat on the lease and every time I'm there fixing something up there's 3 or 4 of them running around the place. I've advised them that only one pet was agreed to on the lease and they agreed to give them away but doubtful that is actually going to happen.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would beyond landlords do about a situation where a tenant was keeping multiple pets not listed on the lease? I have a renter that listed one cat on the lease and every time I'm there fixing something up there's 3 or 4 of them running around the place. I've advised them that only one pet was agreed to on the lease and they agreed to give them away but doubtful that is actually going to happen.
    Don't allow pets in the first place? LOL

Give them notice to GTFO based on breaking the lease or let it slide? There aren't really other options. And if you tell them to get rid of cats they're just going to lie to you.

- Give them written notice that they're breaking their lease agreement and that pets not on lease need to be removed by a certain date.
    - Follow up with multiple visits to ensure they're complying.
    - Good luck!

Never allow pets, its never worth it. Ever.

My Ride
    E46 M3

Just curious, what's better: allowing a small pet (10lbs) or allowing a kid (toddler to pre-schooler)? I've never rented to families with babies/kids, the dogs seemed to not do too much to the place (except pee stains on the lawn).

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

What I've taken from this thread: buy REITs if I want to get into the RE game.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by The BMW Guy View Post
    Just curious, what's better: allowing a small pet (10lbs) or allowing a kid (toddler to pre-schooler)? I've never rented to families with babies/kids, the dogs seemed to not do too much to the place (except pee stains on the lawn).
    Pets you risk interior and exterior damage especially with dogs.
    Kids especially babies/toddlers you risk a lot of interior damage

There will be no way to truly protect your property from either. Dogs will destroy lawns no matter how much you try to take care of them, and kids will destroy the walls and anything they touch in the place.

Parents will say their kids are "perfect" and do nothing and dog owners will say their dog doesn't hurt anything.

When we started to rent our place we were told it was a no pets place and then the snow melted and we spent probably 2 days picking up crap from the back lawn.

I thought I'd never rent to anyone with kids but did so a while back to a young couple with a 2 year old. They were great tenants until they moved out a few years later.

Thought the same thing with dogs but have a tenant with a tiny little monster in the unit. So far no issues.

Questions you need to ask yourself is how easily can you rent your house if the tenants get upset for holding them to their lease? This would dictate how I'd address the pet issue.

You can hold them in breach of the lease and force them to sign a new one on a new term at a higher cost. Ask for a larger deposit and keep the lease the way it is. Or evict them.

The other factors I'd consider are things like how quickly is your rent paid? Are they high maintenance? Are they always asking things from you?? Lastly the wording on your lease agreement would be important if you do evict them.

My Ride
    Silverado

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/g...s-ive-ever-had

A month ago, I got this text from my roommate: “Also I think Jackie will be moving in in the springtime.”

“Nice,” I responded, though I knew what it meant. I had to find a new apartment.

I have been lucky the past few years. While I have seen friends post desperate pleas on Facebook that they were willing to live in a large dog’s mouth as long as it was less than two grand, I have avoided the inhuman rigors and unspeakable price points of the Toronto rental market. I live in a nice two-bedroom in a desirable area of town for $600 a month.

I can imagine your response. “$600! Fuck you! I would devour a nest of sleeping infants for rent that’s double that!”

I get it. The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Toronto is $2,850. I’m incredibly fortunate. My roommate scooped up the place six years ago. Even more fortuitous for us has been the landlord situation. Our landlord is incredibly old and seems to be unfit for any job outside of president of the United States. One afternoon my roommate and I watched him hose down the concrete alleyway beside our building. For an hour we watched him, slouched over in a chair, aimlessly spraying water on the cement squares, while I wondered if this was him trying to renovict us.

I’m sorry if that seemed harsh. I’m stressed. I’ve had it too good for too long but now the grace period created by a confluence of friendship and the increased rates of senility among the ownership class is over. I am defenseless. I am a pathetic mass of bad credit and no savings, naked and afraid, prostrate before the gnashing teeth of this sociopathic real estate market.

What horrors will I have to face? Will I have to have multiple roommates, each one with an active and concerning sex life, the volume of their partners only matched by the volume of their own groans of pleasures? Will I be forced underground into a basement, delirious with claustrophobia and raving to increasingly infrequent visitors that the one, dirt-encrusted ray of sunshine that hits the side of my fridge at 2:15 p.m. each day is actually a pretty good amount of light? Will I have to find the love of my life, a wealthy patron of working-class comedians, who loves me for me but also just so happens to own a three-bedroom, two-bath?

I worry because I have been a bad tenant. Certainly not the worst, but I have left behind many stains, both metaphorically and literally, on my record. And like an aging hitman who (allegedly) murdered his best friend, I sit now before my moment of reckoning hoping that a last-minute confession will save me from my sins catching up. And so, I offer a catalogue of my transgressions in the hopes that it will reach the ears of the bloodthirsty gods of habitation and convince them to be merciful.

My confession
    I am sorry for every late rent cheque. I am always aware of what day it is and am especially acutely aware of when the rent is due; to suggest otherwise was absurd and insulting. In fact, every reason I have given, unless it was “I am a drunk with poor impulse control,” was a lie. For these fabrications I apologize as well.

I am also sorry for what I did to your floors—your freshly buffed hardwood floors that I would ruin any time I had to move a couch, whether for remodelling purposes or because I dropped a joint under it. Tugging and pulling the furniture—my kingdom for those little pieces of felt on the legs—and then being shocked by the vicious furrows carved in the formerly unblemished surface is a horrific example of one man’s apathy toward the natural state of things, enough to make Edward Burtynsky wince. I apologize for having the same response every time: a panicked scrubbing by hand in the hopes it was not all that bad, followed by a short, cool slide into not giving a shit.

I am sorry for what I did to your walls. I am sorry for the tiny galaxy of holes I’ve left behind in every room I’ve lived in, the remnants of halting and unsuccessful attempts at some sort of interior design. A pathetic collection of posters and artwork made up of a couple gifts from an ex, things that previous tenants left behind, and stuff that fell out of record sleeves, was constantly re-arranged in the hopes that it would trick the visitor into thinking that a sophisticated creative-type resided between these walls. But really, if my walls could talk they would say, “This guy liked music, I guess.”

I am sorry for the time I invited a woman back to one of my apartments and said it was cool if she had a cigarette in the downstairs basement. And I’m doubly sorry that she then proceeded to sit on the sink that caused the sink to rip off the wall, breaking the pipes and creating a gush of water that I was eventually able to stop but not before humiliating myself by yelling, “Call your dad,” while attempting to dam the water with the palm of my hand. And I’m triple sorry that I neither got somebody to fix the sink or told you about it and instead did nothing and let the bathroom descend into a sort of snake prison.

That is less a humorous exaggeration and more a reference to the time the ball python that the girl in the basement owned escaped into our apartment and in a fit of terror my roommates and I picked up the snake with broomsticks and locked it in the wrecked washroom turning it into a low-grade set from the Indiana Jones franchise.

I am sorry for all that I’ve left behind when I moved out. The drawers of pennies and coasters that just accumulate throughout the years, like the detritus of a life not well-lived, whose existence you completely forget about until the moment of moving out when everything is packed up and suddenly you remember there is still this drawer filled with sporadic nonsense and the idea of organizing it all and figuring out what to do with it is utterly demoralizing and you decide to pretend that you didn’t even see it and then you justify this decision by telling yourself that the next people who move in will definitely need the almost finished roll of tin foil, stained tea towel, bent thumb tacks, and stretched elastic bands, and that you are actually doing them a favour.

I am sorry that in one tiny apartment we had three cats. While perhaps I paid a price in that my brain is now filled with parasites from the little monsters and my nose is permanently seared with their stench, I still owe you an apology for the litter-box scenario. We had the litter box outside in this wonderful patio space nestled between the walls of our apartment and building next door. At some point, the maintenance of it got away from us and the box consumed the space, turning it into the doorway to Cat Hell: rock-hard cat feces, smears of grey muck, and the little balls of litter rubble that made the once-delightful nook look like the remnants of some sort of cat construction site.

And I’m sorry that when you called and asked whose cats they were, I told you their owner and I had stopped being friends and were no longer communicating. That was a particularly bold lie.

Really, I’m sorry that I must trouble you with my disgusting human life at all. I know that being a landlord is hard. It would be so much better and easier for you if I did not exist at all, or if I were nothing but a watch that needed storage in a one-bedroom apartment, every tick of my second hand representing an increase in the value of your investment. Or if I was just an abstract concept like valuation or percentages. No, I have to be saddled with being alive, which is annoying for both of us!

So I’m sorry for my capacity for mistakes, for my uncleanliness, for my stench, for the hair that falls from my body in a seemingly endless supply despite its rapid diminishment on my head, for all the floss threaders, for every single peep of noise I’ve made whether braying laughter or a muffled cry, for all the fun I’ve had, for all the losses I’ve mourned, and for all the breaths I’ve taken inside of your properties. It’s a regrettable situation and, for you, certainly not ideal.

Also I’m sorry I smoked a hella lot of weed inside; I thought the smell would totally air out.

I’m sorry on behalf of all the people I know and love. That we continue to trouble you with our meagre existences, an entire generation of people attempting to buy enough succulents to make whatever hovel we’ve stuffed our dreams into seem like a home. It’s embarrassing and you shouldn’t have to deal with it. All you did was own some property.

Or maybe our dirty little asses is the price you have to pay for turning the city into a playground for the rich.

Follow Jordan Foisy on Twitter.
    Text shared so no one has to go to vice's website
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 12-23-2019 at 11:49 PM.

I'm currently renting my house to a young family (husband, wife, 3 kids). We're nearing the end of our 1-year lease (the first they've had with me) and they're asking about adding a pet dog (beagle) to their family and new lease. They've been pretty good renters: rent is always on time; no complaints from the neighbours (I lived in the house for 9 years before renting to them); they've done a bit of upkeep on their own time and dime i.e. paid a guy to dethatch and fertilize the lawn; they sanded the wood deck as their kids were sometimes catching splinters (it's an older deck and truth told, I intended to sand it before they moved in but I didn't get around to it), etc.

I've read many opinions on both the landlord and tenant side and I haven't decided if I'll allow them to get a dog yet or not. I wanted to hear thoughts on:

(a) how much of a non-refundable pet fee is reasonable? Current rent is $1500/month and they paid the $1500 damage deposit upon signing the lease.

(b) instead of a non-refundable pet fee, should I increase the rent instead, and if so, by how much?

(c) do I give them the option to either pay a (for example) $600 non-refundable fee up front OR sign the new lease for an additional $50/month?

The house is nothing special: 20 year old two storey and detached garage; market value about $375,000. I installed engineered wood floors throughout the main and upper floor before they moved in. Zero carpet anywhere. Regular, builder-grade cabinets in the kitchen.

TIA
    Last edited by raceman6135; 01-17-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added info

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

^^ Seems like you got some good tenants, considering they have done some upkeep on their own time/money and don't sound like slobs.

What is this non-refundable pet fee you're speaking of? Just take a refundable pet fee around $600 if you really want and then take $ out of it if you see damage was made from the pet. They treated you well as good tenants and now you want to risk pissing them off over a dog? You know you also have the damage deposit too right?

If I were you, I would tell them because they have been good tenants so far with the upkeep and everything, make it easy for them and say yes with not too many strings attached. They'll be more likely to do upkeep on their own dime as needed vs. telling "fuck you" in the back of their heads and consider moving out to the 50 other options out there.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

They will also be less likely to leave, as finding a place that will take a dog once they have it will be far more challenging..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Don't take more deposit money, don't raise the rent. In this economy, your place would be vacant if they moved out, so since they've been respectful and treated you well, treat them well, and they'll never be able to leave once they have that dog.

This is the exact opposite of a prospective renter who already has a pet, THAT has risk involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

We used a $400 refundable fee for our tenants, but only 1100 sqft of space, for a larger house, $600 would make sense.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

The biggest issue with pets especially dogs is the lawn. Dogs will murder a healthy lawn so fast.

I moved into a place that wasn't supposed to have "dogs" but the first spring here we had to do so much to the back lawn because the dogs were brutal on it. I still have more to do to the lawn now especially with my dog but I'm doing my best to maintain the lawn without it getting destroyed.

You could put in some form of an agreement that states your ok with the dog with the caveat of a visit in 6 months then a year after or something to ensure they are doing well with the dog.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

IMO, don't raise the rent or collect anything but get them to agree to professionally clean the carpets before moving out.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'd do a reasonable refundable amount and add the condition they have to pay to have the carpets cleaned upon moveout or the amount to clean the carpets will be deducted from the deposit.

50$ a month increase isn't worth the risk of losing good tenants and the place sitting empty for a month while you find new ones. And the market isn't great so I'd just let it slide this time

My Ride
    06 TL

My understanding is you are not allowed to have a damage deposit in excess of one month's rent, which you already have. So I don't think a refundable pet deposit is an option since that would put you over.

Thanks everyone for the input! Some really good info.

Glad you can see how I'm conflicted between pissing them off and then having to find another decent tenant versus possibly getting stuck with damages that might surpass the damage deposit.

I believe JoniBoy is correct that if I were to try to get an additional pet fee, it must be non-refundable because I already have a damage deposit (which has to be refundable by law) which is equal to 100-percent of the monthly rent. That is also stated on the LandlordAndTenant.org website here:

https://www.landlordandtenant.org/se...urity-deposit/

A security deposit plus any refundable fees charged by a landlord (for example, a refundable key fee), must total one months rent or less. If however, there is a separate non-refundable, one-time fee for something like having a pet in the premises, that fee does not form part of the security deposit. The security deposit plus any non-refundable fee can equal more than one months rent.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

If I were you I would add 2 notes in your lease.
    1 - if the lawn is in bad shape they would be required to fix and replace it
    2 - once they move it would be required to have carpets PROFESSIONALLY cleaned
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just my opinion but 50 bucks says they already have the dog lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Silverado

Good to know that it shouldn't be refundable. I thought it would be fine, next time I guess it won't be refundable.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast