Quantcast
Alberta Landlord / Tenant Questions / FAQ - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Landlord / Tenant Questions / FAQ

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Talk to him about it. The rental market is so soft right now that he can likely find something cheaper and/or with incentives versus your place.

I was in the same boat and told my renter I'd like to sell the house and if he was able to find a new place I'd be lenient and give him a week to move stuff across for free n shit. He found a condo and moved out this week.
    I tried - He wont. He has kids and too many 'commitments' in the area apparently. I guess I'm stuck

Is it the landlord or tenants responsibility to pick up keys after the condo board has used them to enter the unit?

Our stupid condo management companies office is way down south and I refuse to go pick it up since they won't leave it under the door or in the mailbox and their hours are like 9-4 monday - friday. Currently arguing with the landlord.

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Is it the landlord or tenants responsibility to pick up keys after the condo board has used them to enter the unit?

Our stupid condo management companies office is way down south and I refuse to go pick it up since they won't leave it under the door or in the mailbox and their hours are like 9-4 monday - friday. Currently arguing with the landlord.
    You want the landlord to drive down south, pick up the keys and then drive them to you in the evening? Come on man....

My friend is the landlord. Was trying to get an opinion without that tidbit haha.

My Ride
    06 S2000

About to list my place for rental, and trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I've setup a policy on the place, and I know around what I would want to rent it out for.

I've had the place cleaned, and I went and took some pictures of the place.

For the deposit (if I even find a renter) would TD/RBC/ETC be able to open an account for me that's separate from all my other stuff? Do they have accounts specifically for this?

I looked over the generic Residential Tenancy Agreement, and it looks like it'll fill my needs pretty well.

https://www.alberta-mortgages.com/pd...al%20Lease.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Just going to throw this out there, hoping it doesn't cause someone else the headache I went through...

Disclaimer: this is some-what a dick move on my part, and not my normal practice, but work events led it this way.

Was in a lease, living in Edson, Alberta (middle of nowhere) for work. After my lease expired, my landlord agreed to let me rent month to month (as I had anticipations to transfer out of Edson), and knew it would be on rather last minute notice.

I found out on the last day of February 2016, and needed to be out of Edson by the end of March. So i called my landlord first thing in the morning on March 1.
    - back and forth, she wanted me to pay for April as well, given that I had not given enough notice.

Back and forth with landlord and tenancy board, legislation is worded that a months notice is the day of the last month or any time prior.

So an FYI, you can give a months notice on the first day of the last month you plan on renting somewhere....

Like i said prior, I wouldn't recommend making this a common practice, but sometimes life throws your curve balls you gotta deal with, and would likely rather not get screwed in the process.

Hey everyone,

I"m a first time renter and I need some help. I found a place I like. The guy who showed it to use is not the owner; he said he's a realtor and is showing it on behalf of the owner.

The place seems fine but I asked about the deposit and rent. He basically said the deposit has to be supplied with the application. Is this normal? I asked him if I could just provide a post dated cheque. I know my credit and everything is pristine, but at the same time i don't want to pay someone and have them say "oh you're denied" and run off with my money.

Upon further conversation he said he may be able to provide a receipt or something, but I'm not sure what exactly I can get that can be legally binding, in the event i get fucked.

Plz help!!

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

No money should be exchanged when submitting an application. I take damage deposit when the rental agreement is signed and first month rent when they move in on the first day of the month.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Sounds like a guy who got the keys somehow and is scamming. Probably not actually a Realtor.

My Ride
    Silverado

Sounds scammy

Agreed.

Gonna drop him; found another place at a similar price and backed by a rental property management company.

Yeah definitely no money should be exchanged unless you know for sure youve got the place.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Hero_X View Post
    Agreed.

Gonna drop him; found another place at a similar price and backed by a rental property management company.
    it might be worth calling the non emergency line. they might be looking for this guy already.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

So I'm about to list my place and while I have no specific questions, I'm wondering if there is anything I should know or resources I should read?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    So I'm about to list my place and while I have no specific questions, I'm wondering if there is anything I should know or resources I should read?
    Read and understand your rights and obligations: https://www.landlordandtenant.org/

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Thoughts on renting to someone on disability insurance?

I feel like if they can show me that their insurance will last them for the duration of the lease then it could be safe?

Thoughts on renting to someone on disability insurance?

I feel like if they can show me that their insurance will last them for the duration of the lease then it could be safe?
    Nothing is safe when it comes to rentals lol Im not familiar with how disability insurance works but i would normally pass on anyone that needs help with rent. This is a very different thing im sure but it would still sit funny with me. The problem now is the rental market is pretty tight so you probably dont really have the option to pick and choose.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Yeah, I still said no to them.

I'm not that desperate to rent it out. If you start the conversation with me by immediately making yourself sound like a charity case, I'm going to have to say no.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Yeah, I still said no to them.

I'm not that desperate to rent it out. If you start the conversation with me by immediately making yourself sound like a charity case, I'm going to have to say no.
    This is a very good path to take.

I had a brother/sister come and take a look at my place a while ago. Something about the brother being emancipated or whatever, receiving funds from the gov, she was in school part time. Just seemed like waaaaaay too much hassle, way too many issues. Nice enough people, but seemed high risk.

RUN A CREDIT CHECK. And absolutely verify job/income.

One thing I've found that is unfortunate is that people start getting quite skittish answering questions even if they have nothing to hide. I had one person say "well, I'm going with this landlord because they don't require XYZ". So while it is good to be firm while showing your place and what you expect, a soft touch is definitely needed in handling the more "pointed" questions you may have about a renter.

Thread bump!

Question for landlords: which service do you recommend to run a credit check on perspective tenants? (Yes, they have signed their permission as part of the application form.)

Some of the ones that seem to pop up the most during my searches are:

- https://www.tenantverification.ca
    - https://www.rentcheckcorp.com
    - https://naborly.com/equifax
    - http://albertalandlords.ca/tag/tenant-screening

Some want you to pay a yearly membership fee, plus other fees, and then a fee per credit check. Others are low cost per credit check with (supposedly) no other fees. Which ones are legit and give the information a landlord would find useful?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast