Quantcast
Alberta Landlord / Tenant Questions / FAQ - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Landlord / Tenant Questions / FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by JoniBoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My understanding is you are not allowed to have a damage deposit in excess of one month's rent, which you already have. So I don't think a refundable pet deposit is an option since that would put you over.
    I was going to chime in and say the terminology of the wording for any money taken for the dog will be important.

IMO it's a safe assumption your lawn will be destroyed by your tenants. It will be costly to replace. Odds are there will be damage in the house from the dog at some point but your tenants will try and claim normal wear and tear when they move out.

I'd take some form of payment for the dog and ask for a longer lease to be signed. I'd also quickly check into how much it would cost to re sod the back yard.

The longer the lease they sign the less I'd charge for the pet. A good way to protect yourself would be to show an increase to the rent with a special incentive lowering the rent for signing the longer lease. Specifiy 1 dog is allowed with whatever caveats you find are reasonable.

This way if they ever leave early you can go after them for the rental incentive you gave them for signing the longer lease.
    Last edited by gwill; 01-18-2020 at 01:39 PM.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by raceman6135 View Post
    (beagle)
    Um... Yeah - Beagles need a hell of a lot of training to keep their vocal nature in check. You may want to ask how they intend to ensure it's not one of those ones that end up driving the whole neighbourhood to pitchforks and torches.

I literally just gave my tenant approval for a dog over xmas but it was because the daughter was moving in and it was a smaller dog. I did take a $350.00 refundable pet deposit though and she had no problem with it. Like others have said the rental market is definitely not the best right now so if you have a good one it might be worth it to work with them. My situation is different though because its a TH in a private loop and pets are not allowed in the green space so any business has to be done across the street in the field so no dead grass to worry about(hopefully).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quick question for a friend about renting and the landlord decides to sell.

If your lease goes until November (1 year lease, renewed for a 2nd year now) and they decide to sell in May, there's no way they can kick you out because of the sale right? Their lease says the following, not sure if that affects things.

"The Landlord may terminate this Agreement by giving the Tenant written notice ninety (90) days before the last day of the tenancy year
    I'm like 90% sure she can stay there until Nov but wanted to check before I give incorrect advice. The new lease would just transfer to the new owners at the same rental rate, correct? But at the end of the lease they could ask her to leave or change the rent.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

If your lease goes until November (1 year lease, renewed for a 2nd year now) and they decide to sell in May, there's no way they can kick you out because of the sale right? Their lease says the following, not sure if that affects things.

I'm like 90% sure she can stay there until Nov but wanted to check before I give incorrect advice. The new lease would just transfer to the new owners at the same rental rate, correct? But at the end of the lease they could ask her to leave or change the rent.
    yup pretty sure they can't be kicked out just because the owner wants to sell the place. I would think that they would need to tell the potential buyer of hte property that there is currently a renter with an agreement until Nov, and if they are OK with continuing to rent it, they would need to honor the original lease agreement unless both agree to cancel it and start a new one.

I think your wrong. I just checked Alberta's landlord and tenant website and under evictions it says an owner can end a rental agreement after the sale of the home.

It doesnt specify much other then the landlord can end the agreement after a sales conditions have all been removed.

I'll touch base with the landlord board tomorrow as I currently have a rental with tenants in it that's listed for sale. But it seems theres not much to ending the agreement at first glance.

If I was the renter in this situation I'd be negotiating some benefits for being inconvenienced. In my situation I offered to provide the down payment to my renters if they wanted to buy. I've offered to pay for movers if things progress too quickly.
    Last edited by gwill; 02-06-2020 at 06:09 PM.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

Back in 2018, I purchased a home with a tenant with very fresh lease contract with previous owner, and I basically had an option to kick him out if I wanted to do. I decided to keep him with the amended lease contract at the end but in my situation, basically, I treated him like a new tenant(Interview, Background check etc)
    Last edited by muse017; 02-06-2020 at 10:49 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Owner can sell the unit and the new owner isn't obligated to the existing lease

https://www.cplea.ca/wp-content/uplo...tingIsSold.pdf

I have a fixed term tenancy. Can my landlord put the property up for sale?

Yes, your landlord has the right to put the property up for sale; however, your landlord would not be able to end your tenancy simply because the property was sold. A fixed term tenancy means that you have agreed to rent the property for a fixed period of time, and this kind of tenancy can only end under the terms of the contract. This means that unless you and your landlord negotiate a new agreement, you can stay living in the property until the lease is over.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    https://www.cplea.ca/wp-content/uplo...tingIsSold.pdf

I have a fixed term tenancy. Can my landlord put the property up for sale?

Yes, your landlord has the right to put the property up for sale; however, your landlord would not be able to end your tenancy simply because the property was sold. A fixed term tenancy means that you have agreed to rent the property for a fixed period of time, and this kind of tenancy can only end under the terms of the contract. This means that unless you and your landlord negotiate a new agreement, you can stay living in the property until the lease is over.
    Annnnd that's why I'm not a fucking landlord. lol

Want to be a landlord? Buy some shares in XRE.

nobody in their right mind uses a fixed term tenancy. If a landlord uses this once theyll realize why theyll never use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Owner can sell the unit and the new owner isn't obligated to the existing lease
    Well I just learned something new. I called the landlord board to ask about when selling. Basically if theres any form of start date or end date in a lease that the tenant isnt obligated to move before hand.

It doesnt matter what type of contract a landlord uses or what sort of 90 day clause someone adds in there. If there is a start date and an end date that the tenant has every right to stay until that time. The 90 day clauses are unenforceable in the court of law.

My Ride
    Silverado

good to know!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    nobody in their right mind uses a fixed term tenancy. If a landlord uses this once theyll realize why theyll never use it again.
    I've had no issues doing this a year at a time...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Well I just learned something new. I called the landlord board to ask about when selling. Basically if theres any form of start date or end date in a lease that the tenant isnt obligated to move before hand.

It doesnt matter what type of contract a landlord uses or what sort of 90 day clause someone adds in there. If there is a start date and an end date that the tenant has every right to stay until that time. The 90 day clauses are unenforceable in the court of law.
    Perfect, thanks! That was my understanding, if it was a month to month then she's SOL but if it's a fixed date lease then it runs it's course until the end.

I've seen a bunch of real estate listings that saying the unit is occupied and tenants rights exist so I presumed that was the case but appreciate the confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I've had no issues doing this a year at a time...
    There are different types of leases out there one being a fixed term option that when it ends the lease is done and the tenant is out. Other leases automatically roll over to month to month. I got burned one time 10 years ago for not paying attention to this and had a tenant bolt with no notice as it was a fixed term and ended on the one date.

It seems the landlord board doesnt differentiate between the two leases. They consider anything with a start date and an end date to be a fixed term tenancy.

Also interesting to know opt out clauses are unenforceable.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Ahh, understood. I've had a couple tenants just sign another 1-yr lease that continued started the next day as the previous ended. Felt more stable than doing month-to-month because no one has been in there long term (5+ yrs). I check in 2 months before the lease expires to get their honest opinion of staying or not and everyone has been upfront about it. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I'm also insanely picky lol.
    Ultracrepidarian

Uhh what? Almost all leases are fixed term. Landlords don’t want month to month, they prefer stability. I rented mine for a 2 year lease as that is what the renters wanted, but most renters were fine with a 1 year.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Uhh what? Almost all leases are fixed term. Landlords don’t want month to month, they prefer stability. I rented mine for a 2 year lease as that is what the renters wanted, but most renters were fine with a 1 year.
    Pretty much this. Everywhere I've rented starts on a 1 year lease then it's 50/50 if they go month to month or resign another year

Pretty much this. Everywhere I've rented starts on a 1 year lease then it's 50/50 if they go month to month or resign another year
    that's called a periodic tenancy lease where the option is to go month to month or renew. A fixed term directly stated a tenants lease is done on this day and that's it.

A fixed term tenancy with strict terms like that doesnt benefit a landlord hence why they should never use that type of lease.

It is a bit odd the landlord board considers all leases the same when it comes to moving. Even weirder a lawyers website from Calgary provides conflicting info with what I was told today.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast