Quantcast
Alberta Landlord / Tenant Questions / FAQ - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Alberta Landlord / Tenant Questions / FAQ

What would beyond landlords do about a situation where a tenant was keeping multiple pets not listed on the lease? I have a renter that listed one cat on the lease and every time I'm there fixing something up there's 3 or 4 of them running around the place. I've advised them that only one pet was agreed to on the lease and they agreed to give them away but doubtful that is actually going to happen.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would beyond landlords do about a situation where a tenant was keeping multiple pets not listed on the lease? I have a renter that listed one cat on the lease and every time I'm there fixing something up there's 3 or 4 of them running around the place. I've advised them that only one pet was agreed to on the lease and they agreed to give them away but doubtful that is actually going to happen.
    Don't allow pets in the first place? LOL

Give them notice to GTFO based on breaking the lease or let it slide? There aren't really other options. And if you tell them to get rid of cats they're just going to lie to you.

- Give them written notice that they're breaking their lease agreement and that pets not on lease need to be removed by a certain date.
    - Follow up with multiple visits to ensure they're complying.
    - Good luck!

Never allow pets, its never worth it. Ever.

My Ride
    E46 M3

Just curious, what's better: allowing a small pet (10lbs) or allowing a kid (toddler to pre-schooler)? I've never rented to families with babies/kids, the dogs seemed to not do too much to the place (except pee stains on the lawn).

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

What I've taken from this thread: buy REITs if I want to get into the RE game.

Quote Originally Posted by The BMW Guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just curious, what's better: allowing a small pet (10lbs) or allowing a kid (toddler to pre-schooler)? I've never rented to families with babies/kids, the dogs seemed to not do too much to the place (except pee stains on the lawn).
    Pets you risk interior and exterior damage especially with dogs.
    Kids especially babies/toddlers you risk a lot of interior damage

There will be no way to truly protect your property from either. Dogs will destroy lawns no matter how much you try to take care of them, and kids will destroy the walls and anything they touch in the place.

Parents will say their kids are "perfect" and do nothing and dog owners will say their dog doesn't hurt anything.

When we started to rent our place we were told it was a no pets place and then the snow melted and we spent probably 2 days picking up crap from the back lawn.

I thought I'd never rent to anyone with kids but did so a while back to a young couple with a 2 year old. They were great tenants until they moved out a few years later.

Thought the same thing with dogs but have a tenant with a tiny little monster in the unit. So far no issues.

Questions you need to ask yourself is how easily can you rent your house if the tenants get upset for holding them to their lease? This would dictate how I'd address the pet issue.

You can hold them in breach of the lease and force them to sign a new one on a new term at a higher cost. Ask for a larger deposit and keep the lease the way it is. Or evict them.

The other factors I'd consider are things like how quickly is your rent paid? Are they high maintenance? Are they always asking things from you?? Lastly the wording on your lease agreement would be important if you do evict them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4