Quantcast
Anyone sucessfully stream high def (720p) through 802.11g? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone sucessfully stream high def (720p) through 802.11g?

Default Anyone sucessfully stream high def (720p) through 802.11g?

I searched, but I thought this was mostly a problem with ps3/xbox and 1080p stuff.

I just built a file server/torrent downloading box that I keep all my large files in and it is connected to my home network. It is hooked up through a wired 100mbps ethernet connection to my Linksys WRT-54G router which is running DD-WRT.

I am trying to stream high definition movie files from this machine wirelessly through 802.11g to my laptop, which can then be hooked up to my bigscreen and home theatre. It seems to work great at first, but then I notice that about every 30 seconds, the picture might freeze, audio gets out of sync, or stutters. I am guessing this is a bandwidth issue. So Im just wondering if anyone has successfully streamed high def through their wireless network successfully? Maybe someone knows some tweaks?

I am using VLC as the player, btw.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

I upgraded to wireless N for that exact reason. I am streaming 720p thru my wireless N with no issues. So, maybe check out wireless N? I just dont think that G has enough bandwidth to do it. I used to stream divx videos fine over 54g.

The PS3 is capable of wireless N right? Cause I've got a DIR-655 router. Is that all I need?
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride

Pretty sure ps3 is wireless G

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You need 802.11n the 5ghz version. Even tho I can sustain enough bandwidth to stream HD (AppleTV) on 2.4ghz n, interference will make it start skipping and it's annoying. I moved my apple TV to 5ghz n and it's been perfect for streaming ever since.

And ya, PS3 is only 802.11g.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I did consider wireless n, but I have 4 computers + one 802.11g smartphone that access the network wirelessly. I know most N routers are backwards compatible with G, but would the N router revert back to G for all connected computers even if a single G device is connected?

aka: Do I have to upgrade all my computers to N, or is it okay for one device to be N, while the rest stay as G?

Originally posted by nobb
    I did consider wireless n, but I have 4 computers + one 802.11g smartphone that access the network wirelessly. I know most N routers are backwards compatible with G, but would the N router revert back to G for all connected computers even if a single G device is connected?

aka: Do I have to upgrade all my computers to N, or is it okay for one device to be N, while the rest stay as G?
    If you get a dual-band router then the N devices can connect to N while the G connect to G with very little sacrifice to the N speed.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mibz
    If you get a dual-band router then the N devices can connect to N while the G connect to G with very little sacrifice to the N speed.
    Ya, except his PS3 doesn't have N, so he'll need a dual band router and an access point.

Router:
    http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=0&pid=681

Access Point:
    http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=0&pid=663

Gets pretty expensive.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

Ya, except his PS3 doesn't have N, so he'll need a dual band router and an access point.
    He's not running it through his PS3.

Server -> Router -> Magical Cosmic Rays -> Laptop.
    N router and maybe an N card is all he needs.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about arian_ma, in which case he's already got the router and just needs an AP.

My Ride

I wish i had bought a higher up model than the dir 615. It's a great router provided you arent running G and N combined. Now that i run all N cards, it works great. When i ran 1 n card and then a g card from my laptop, it wouldnt connect, even in dual band mode...unless i made it unsecured. Not sure why

My Ride
    Sentra

I have no problems streaming 720p, in fact, I can stream 1080p to my ps3 no problem on G. I don't use stock router firmware though, custom firmware on a linksys wrt54g, but stock settings.

Originally posted by GoChris
    I have no problems streaming 720p, in fact, I can stream 1080p to my ps3 no problem on G. I don't use stock router firmware though, custom firmware on a linksys wrt54g, but stock settings.
    OP is running DD-WRT. Are you on Tomato or something else? If something else, is there any QoS enabled by default?

EDIT: Could this also be caused by the laptop not being powerful enough to transcode in real-time?

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by Mibz
    OP is running DD-WRT. Are you on Tomato or something else? If something else, is there any QoS enabled by default?

EDIT: Could this also be caused by the laptop not being powerful enough to transcode in real-time?
    Oh, missed that part. I'm also using DD-WRT. Ya, what's the laptop specs, also have you tried anything other than VLC, like media player classic?

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

what software do u guys use to stream?....i access my computer's tv tuner in calgary soemtimes if i feel the need for less biased newscasts haha...but the quality is crappy...i use www.orb.com.

My Ride

I just have all my movies stored on my main system (3 terabytes of storage) and then i bring them over the network to a dummy box hooked up to the tv via media center. Thats it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by GoChris
    Ya like I said earlier, it's enough bandwidth to do the streaming until there's 2.4Ghz interference or high traffic from other wifi sources, which would start stuttering the feed.

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    I just have all my movies stored on my main system (3 terabytes of storage) and then i bring them over the network to a dummy box hooked up to the tv via media center. Thats it.
    Pretty much the same setup as me. I use mymovies mce plugin to organize everything.

I find that bringing someone in to wire every room of your house down to a patch panel in the basement is cheaper than investing in a ton of equipment and all the time it takes to manage said equipment.

Doing it yourself is alright, but its a pita with a finished house. I know i dont want to crawl around in my attic. hah.

by searching craigslist / kijiji you can probally find someone to do it for you for relativly cheap..

I guess ethernet would be the last resort. I would probably do it myself though...not sure if I would trust a stranger from craigslist. Problem is finding long lengths of cat5 cheap. Or I could use the existing wiring. My house is built by Jayman and they use some sort of ethernet looking connector where the phone lines plug into, and it goes to a central distribution hub in the basement. Anyone know if this sort of line in the newer built houses can be hooked up to both the phone and ethernet? Or do I have to sacrifice one.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm thinking of getting Spiretech to do it at my house. They are a beyond sponsor haha.

I actually have 2 CAT5's to each room (4 to some rooms) at my house, but now that both cat5's are being used for HDMI distribution, I need more. I was contemplating on using the unused COAX connections for ethernet, but the amount of $ I'd have to spend it's cheaper to run 2 more CAT5's to each room.

Cat5e cable is dirt cheap.. $50 for 1000 feet. (plus shipping. Hah) so like $100 / case.

Alot of times you can get leftovers from the telco's for free.

If you are not using your phone lines, its easy to convert them to data lines if the builder used Cat5 for them.

If Spiretech would quote us a price per drop i might consider them also.
    Last edited by Alterac; 02-02-2009 at 03:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast