Quantcast
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) in Infants - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) in Infants

My Ride
    Audi

Default Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) in Infants

So here's my lil learning experience with this, I wanted to share it with other parents so they can spot the signs and get treatment as well.

Wednesday night, my 6 month old son was starting to cough a bit and had a mild runny nose. Thursday, it progressed a bit more and he threw up a few times. Friday during the day my wife took him to see a Doctor. The doctor said he had a cold and a stomach bug, it'll pass in a day or 2. Friday night, he was not feeding/eating at all and his cries started to resemble a whimper.

Saturday, he was so weak he wouldnt reach for anything, or do much more than cry. We went to the Airdrie Urgent Care centre (phenominal service btw!) and after an xray, they said he had a viral lung infection. They gave him a ventolin inhaler (with an aerochamber), and they prescribed amoxil. I was a bit aprhensive about the antibiotic. I asked why a 6 month old was being given an antibiotic, the doctor said the viral infection will leave him open to pnemonia - so the amoxil will keep that from happening.

I talked to a few people i know with kids < 1Y, and 2 of them have had their babies sick with very similar symptoms in the last 2 weeks. Turns out, one of them had confirmed RSV and sent me a CTV calgary article mentioning that it's going around right now:

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

He's on the mend right now, we've started to force feed him with breastmilk and water thru a syringe. Definately a lot more energy today than yesterday, but apparently he's probably got another week before he's thru it all.

Link to the Alberta Healt Link regarding it: http://www.healthlinkalberta.ca/Topi...24C0F48E143%7D

Symptoms:
    runny nose with thick, sticky mucous
    cough
    mild fever
    sore throat
    mild irritability and discomfort
    wheezing (a high pitched, whistling sound when breathing out)

and the big one that gave it away was a poor appetite - he refused to be spoonfed food, or to breastfeed. In adults, RSV is one of the viruses that is often called the 'common cold', however in infants it can quite easily (so im told anyway) lead to pnemonia, weightloss, dehydration.

My Ride
    TL

My son had this who is just over 2 years old and took a few days to get over it. Daughter was pretty close to having it as well, but she fought it off at 10 months.

Hard to see them go through this as a parent.

Thanks for the link.

My Ride
    GTI

Shouldn't this be in Health and Fitness?

Last edited by Hakkola; 02-01-2009 at 05:33 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by Hakkola
    Shouldn't this be in Health and Fitness?
    good point.

Actually, what you describe sounds like bronchiolitis, of which RSV is one of many potential viruses that can cause it. There is no way for the docs to know specifically that it is RSV by xrays or symptoms alone, and it usually requires a special test that takes a few days to confirm that it truly is RSV.

In the end, it doesn't matter if RSV is the actual causative organism for the bronchiolitis, just that the baby gets the proper supportive therapy.

Good for you to recognize that your baby wasn't behaving normally. A "cold" is one thing, but when they stop feeding, or you notice they are laboring when they try to breathe, it is time to bring them in. It doesn't take long for a child to get dehydrated, further adding to the problem at hand. It is a good idea to bring them in when their number of wet diapers drops off, or they cry but no tears come out.