Quantcast
U of C lays trespassing charges on abortion protestors - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: U of C lays trespassing charges on abortion protestors

Default U of C lays trespassing charges on abortion protestors

haha you freaks. we were wiling to tolerate your graphic protest provided you pointed the signs inwards. you refused, we threatened to charge you with trespassing, but you defied us and now we'll see your asses in court!

would you want me to show up on your church lawn sunday morning and expose you and your kids to graphic pictures of bestiality and S&M (both of which are legal, i might add).

Anti-abortion protesters charged with trespassing on campus

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...-abortion.html

Several students who took part in a graphic anti-abortion display at the University of Calgary have been charged with trespassing, a lawyer for the students says.

The students with University of Calgary Campus Pro-Life have to enter a plea by the end of the month and expect a trial later this year, Canadian Constitution Foundation's executive director John Carpay said in a release.

"The university is created by legislation, governed by legislation and receives more than 60 per cent of its funding from taxpayers," he said. "As a public institution, it does not have the right to discriminate against one group of students by censoring one viewpoint on an issue."

Leah Hallman, president of the anti-abortion group, said three students have been served legal papers, and she expects three more will also be served.

University lawyer Paul Beke said in November the Charter of Rights and Freedoms doesn't apply to universities, and freedom of expression protection doesn't extend to trespassers.

"Protesters are on the university's private property and they have refused to follow the university's instructions," Beke said at the time.

"Because they won't co-operate, they had to give notice to the protesters that they will become illegal protesters. So they will be dealt with legally if they do trespass."
    Students set up display in November

The charges stem from November when several students set up posters on campus which showed fetuses and compared abortion to the Holocaust, the Ku Klux Klan and the genocide in Rwanda.

Earlier in the year, university administrators asked the group, which has about 30 members, to make the posters less visible, citing safety concerns.

When the students refused to comply, the school issued a letter threatening legal action.

The letter warned that the university would consider the students to be trespassing and that they would be subject to arrest, fines, suspension or expulsion.

The club set up the display anyway. University officials didn't kick the group off campus, but asked police to investigate.

The university also put up signs warning students and staff about the "extremely graphic" poster display.

Hallman said campus security took down their contact information in November and told them they could be charged with trespassing, but nothing happened until recently, after the group advised the school that they were planning to set up the display again this spring.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

That's too bad. They'll allow gay rights demonstrations, but they won't allow anti-abortion demonstrations? Also, it wasn't the UofC that laid charges, it was the police.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

They wouldn't allow gay right demonstrations if they had posters showing two guys fucking and compared the breeders to Nazis.

If the UofC doesn't want these idiots putting up "offensive" and potentially damaging material on their public property, then they shouldn't be allowed to.

I wouldn't let these fuckers put up their signs on my lawn either. And I'm sure you're not going to volunteer to have Penis Landscape displayed on yours either.

If they'd have played by the rules, they wouldn't have gotten charged. Would you rather the UofC had absolutely no recourse so that anyone could put up anything they wanted on campus?
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

dude, the U of C was willing to allow the demonstration, provided some guidelines were followed. the group decided not to follow these guidelines, and although the protest was allowed to continue, charges were eventually laid.

and seriously man, i've been here since 2001, about 6 or 7 days per week. i can't even recall a gay rights demonstration... just goes to show you just how out of line these abortion protesters are.

Originally posted by TKRIS
    They wouldn't allow gay right demonstrations if they had posters showing two guys fucking and compared the breeders to Nazis.
    awesome point

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-17-2020 at 04:15 PM.

My Ride
    '08 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

Originally posted by nonlinear
    dude, the U of C was willing to allow the demonstration, provided some guidelines were followed. the group decided not to follow these guidelines, and although the protest was allowed to continue, charges were eventually laid.

and seriously man, i've been here since 2001, about 6 or 7 days per week. i can't even recall a gay rights demonstration... just goes to show you just how out of line these abortion protesters are.
    Instead of jail time.. we should get them all pregnant.. and see how many abort. Finish School>Childbirth.

Now thats JUSTICE!

My Ride
    R50

Originally posted by CUG
    That's too bad. They'll allow gay rights demonstrations, but they won't allow anti-abortion demonstrations? Also, it wasn't the UofC that laid charges, it was the police.
    You missed the mark there. It's not about the subject of the protest. It's about the "images of graphic nature".

It your mind, a gay protest would probably be full for rainbows flags. But if it was held by this group, it would be more like a poster of a dude sitting on a barbwired dildo pillow.

EDIT: Too slow for TKRIS + 01RedDX... LOL
    Last edited by cdnsir; 02-02-2009 at 04:44 PM.

My Ride
    s13 w/ sr20 blacktop

Instead of jail time.. we should get them all pregnant.. and see how many abort. Finish School>Childbirth.

Now thats JUSTICE!
    werd

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

If the UofC doesn't want these idiots putting up "offensive" and potentially damaging material on their public property, then they shouldn't be allowed to.

I wouldn't let these fuckers put up their signs on my lawn either. And I'm sure you're not going to volunteer to have Penis Landscape displayed on yours either.

If they'd have played by the rules, they wouldn't have gotten charged. Would you rather the UofC had absolutely no recourse so that anyone could put up anything they wanted on campus?
    Protest is protest homeboy, as is freedom of speech and so forth. I would have responded the same if it was a pro-goat fucking demo.

Originally posted by cdnsir

You missed the mark there. It's not about the subject of the protest. It's about the "images of graphic nature".

EDIT: Too slow for TKRIS + 01RedDX... LOL
    I think if the U of C is going to be a tolerant "institution" and label themselves as such, they take the good with the bad... graphic or not

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

What did this display look like exactly?

Kudos to the University for charging them.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

So then most of you guys aren't really for freedom of expression when it might be offensive. Touche, I can't believe how owned I feel.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by CUG
    So then most of you guys aren't really for freedom of expression when it might be offensive. Touche, I can't believe how owned I feel.
    If they were on public property and were charged, then we'd be getting into rocky territory.. but they were on university/private property, and were warned several times, and then eventually were charged so I have no sympathy for them at all. Things seem pretty clear cut to me.

My Ride

Originally posted by CUG
    Protest is protest homeboy, as is freedom of speech and so forth. I would have responded the same if it was a pro-goat fucking demo.
    You should make sure you know what freedom of speech actually means, and how it applies, before spouting off like that. You'll look like less of an idiot next time.

Freedom of speech doesn't give me the right to put a poster of a guy getting fucked in the ass up on your lawn.
    This has nothing to do with the position, but the way in which it's presented. This isn't about the UofC trying to keep the anti-abortionists down, this is about them protecting their right to stop someone from posting offensive material on private property.

Once again, if any group put up material of this nature, the same thing would happen. If I started a fund to save puppies, and my poster contained an image of a decomposing corpse getting skullfucked by a clown, they'd make me take that shit down as well. And it would have nothing to do with them hating puppies.
    Last edited by TKRIS; 02-02-2009 at 04:59 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by CUG
    Want to give me your address? I have a poster that will look great on your front lawn. You're a tolerant guy right?

My Ride
    '08 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

If I started a fund to save puppies, and my poster contained an image of a decomposing corpse getting skullfucked by a clown, they'd make me take that shit down.
    HAHAHA SIGGED!

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

You should make sure you know what freedom of speech actually means, and how it applies, before spouting off like that. You'll look like less of an idiot next time.

Freedom of speech doesn't give me the right to put a poster of a guy getting fucked in the ass up on your lawn.
    This has nothing to do with the position, but the way in which it's presented. This isn't about the UofC trying to keep the anti-abortionists down, this is about them protecting their right to stop someone from posting offensive material on private property.

Once again, if any group put up material of this nature, the same thing would happen. If I started a fund to save puppies, and my poster contained an image of a decomposing corpse getting skullfucked by a clown, they'd make me take that shit down.
    People were offended by public displays of homosexuality during pro-gay protests, are you harbouring a double standard here? I know you're the bad-boy of the current events section, but if you're going to fart out double standards, at least hide it better, you'll look like less of a flake to me next time.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by b_t
    What did this display look like exactly?

Kudos to the University for charging them.
    Sick images of dead fetuses
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Want to give me your address? I have a poster that will look great on your front lawn. You're a tolerant guy right?
    Come on down pumpkin, check you pm's, I'm not even kidding. It can be the new internet meme.

You're digging a hole here regardless of how much your fanboys here suck you off. The university is a diverse publicly available institution, my home and yours however is not. Take a seat.
    Last edited by CUG; 02-02-2009 at 05:02 PM.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by CUG
    They'll allow gay rights demonstrations
    Any U of C student ever see a gay rights demonstration?
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast