Quantcast
Opening round of the Canadian Rally Championship this weekend! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Opening round of the Canadian Rally Championship this weekend!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Opening round of the Canadian Rally Championship this weekend!

Now I'm sure everyone on Beyond can admit they don't mind a little rally action, and the Rallye Perce Neige Maniwaki is going to be as exciting as it gets. With the best of the best Canadian rally stars showing up (including legendary Frank Sprongl), the action will be quite intense. A small list of contenders for podium positions (watch the video even if you have to click it, it is simply awesome):

Patrick Richard
    Frank Sprongl
    Antoine L'Estage
    Andrew Comrie Picard (ACP)
    Sylvain Erickson (the craziest mother F*&KER in Canadian rallying)

I will be there with Hardyboy Racing, the team I was with last year that won both the novice national championship as well as the Western Canada overall championship. We'll be competing in our 2002 Subaru WRX that was just recently overhauled at Patrick Richard's shop (Rocket Rally ). We basically have the car in maxed out Production 4 spec, running 103 octane with lots of boost, as well as having some pretty fancy mechanical diffs all the way around.

Last edited by HiTempguy1; 02-03-2009 at 09:07 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Coooool, the motorsports/sports section was split. I was going to inquire about who to send an e-mail to to look at doing this, but its now been done!

I'll regularily be posting news about Western Canada rallying as well as the national scene in this section, along with links to press releases, photos, etc, anything I can dig up (if people are interested)

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Too bad its in Quebec.....looks like the Rocky Mountain Rally is in Calgary May 29-30 though.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by HuMz
    Too bad its in Quebec.....looks like the Rocky Mountain Rally is in Calgary May 29-30 though.
    What about the Cochrane Rally of the Ranchlands? Service is based out of Cochrane, so you can come and schmooze, chill, and just hang out and talk cars/rally on March 1st (first day, first Sunday of March)!

Cochrane Rally

The site should be updated within the next week or two, and there should be some KILLER spectacting spots. Or come out and volunteer (which is a great way to get even better spots to spectate from when doing simple jobs like watching chicanes or helping out at stage starts/finishes).

One of the very helpful sponsers, Warren Currie (owner/operator of The Easy Rider skate/snowboard shop in Edmonton) always brings prizes like back packs, skate shoes, etc to be raffled off to the volunteers, which is just all the more reason to come on out.

Second place went to Sylvain and Philip Erickson of Gatineau, Que. Showing his traditional aggressive driving style, Erickson pulled into the lead in the afternoon.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by mikle51
    Second place went to Sylvain and Philip Erickson of Gatineau, Que. Showing his traditional aggressive driving style, Erickson pulled into the lead in the afternoon.
    Pat Richard popped a motor as well IIRC.

Equally impressive about Sylvain was the fact that Philip's noggin' was damaged enough that he needed stitches in the top of his head after getting hit by the (hood/trunk?) of the car after somebody dropped it on him in service. He basically didn't read notes for the last couple of stages, crazy bastard!

Sprongl dnf'd, caused a lot of not-very-nice stuff to go down at the end of the rally cancelling stage 15. I was NOT a happy camper. Nonetheless, it happens (new rules are being debated at the board of directors to prevent stuff like this from happening again).

Andrew Comrie Picard (ACP) spun on a stage and got stuck, he lost over 10 minutes before we stopped to pull him out.

And, we came 12th overall. Not as fast as we were hoping for, but we still won our class and it gave Hardy great confidence at Cochrane to have previously driven with the new diff setup