Quantcast
new direction for workout - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: new direction for workout

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Audi S3
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    18

    Default new direction for workout

    so i started working out last year around September, going 3-4 times a week, i've put on some good size going from 128 up to 150. Except the last month i have not gone anywhere, i have deloaded for a week as well changed up my routine. The only supplement i take is quickmass. So first off i am looking for new supplements something with more protien and less calories, as i feel a little flabby around the stomach. So what do you recommend for supplements? I am going to try this routine posted by oz

    Monday
    Squat or box squat 2-3 x 5
    Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10
    Bent Row or Chest Supported row 4 x 6
    Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
    Calf Raises 3 x 15

    Wednesday
    Bench Press or low board press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
    Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
    Skull Crushers 3 x 10
    Ab work 3 x 10

    Friday
    Deadlift or rack deadlift 2-3 x 5
    Leg press 2 x 10
    Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6
    Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
    Calf Raises 3 x 15

    Monday
    Incline bench press or Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
    Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
    Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
    Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
    Ab work 3 x 10 Monday


    I will probably add in some cardio somewhere as well. I guess im looking for suggestions to get me rolling again, putting on over 20lbs in three months was good and id like to get back to gaining.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Good routine, I think that's Iron Addicts Simple Power Routine.

    Do this for supps:

    Get a good multi-vitamin. This alone will supercharge your energy and mood. Animal Pak, Beverly Super Pak.

    Fish oil, get a good brand online. Carlson's finest, Biotest's Flameout etc.

    ZMA pre bed.

    and finally Whey Isolate.

    That's all you need. No gainers, no blah blah flashy shit.

    As for the stalled weight gain, it's time to clean up the diet to 95-100%, ADD protein (because now you're bigger), and more fats. Keep carbs where they are.

    I'd kill the cardio for now too. Cardio will just use the calories which would be put to good muscle building use.

    From now on try to eat as many of your allowed carbs pre and post workout as possible. They will be used more efficiently that way.

    Have you been keeping a food log or know how much you've been eating lately?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

    Kim Kardashian Sex tape:
    Originally posted by hadookin
    nice box... to bad that nigs face is in it

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Audi S3
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    ive been keeping a rough log of my diet, im always around 3000 good calories a day but i think i could use some more protein, with the quickmass with 4 scoops you only get 54g of protein i found one product with one scoop about the same size you get 30g of protein.

    what does fish oil do that's so great? as well what is ZMA pre bed?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/218876/re...plementation-/

    ZMA - Zinc-Magnesium Aspartate

    Zinc and Mag are extremely important in Testosterone production AND function. It'll keep your system producing as much as it can naturally and keep the estrogen down. Also works well for relaxation and helps sleep.

    Don't take it with calcium as calcium blocks the zinc absorption.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

    Kim Kardashian Sex tape:
    Originally posted by hadookin
    nice box... to bad that nigs face is in it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Audi S3
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    okay what about ths fish oil, how does that work?

    im between 80-100g of protein per day right now

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Originally posted by civicrider
    okay what about ths fish oil, how does that work?

    im between 80-100g of protein per day right now
    Wow that protein is low man, double that shit like yesterday! The gains will return with renewed vigor.

    How much fat were you eating?

    Read the thread link I posted for fish oil.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

    Kim Kardashian Sex tape:
    Originally posted by hadookin
    nice box... to bad that nigs face is in it

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: new direction for workout

    Originally posted by civicrider
    so i started working out last year around September, going 3-4 times a week, i've put on some good size going from 128 up to 150. Except the last month i have not gone anywhere, i have deloaded for a week as well changed up my routine. The only supplement i take is quickmass. So first off i am looking for new supplements something with more protien and less calories, as i feel a little flabby around the stomach. So what do you recommend for supplements? I am going to try this routine posted by oz

    Monday
    Squat or box squat 2-3 x 5
    Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10
    Bent Row or Chest Supported row 4 x 6
    Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
    Calf Raises 3 x 15

    Wednesday
    Bench Press or low board press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
    Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
    Skull Crushers 3 x 10
    Ab work 3 x 10

    Friday
    Deadlift or rack deadlift 2-3 x 5
    Leg press 2 x 10
    Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6
    Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
    Calf Raises 3 x 15

    Monday
    Incline bench press or Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
    Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
    Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
    Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
    Ab work 3 x 10 Monday


    I will probably add in some cardio somewhere as well. I guess im looking for suggestions to get me rolling again, putting on over 20lbs in three months was good and id like to get back to gaining.
    wow, that seems like a pretty low volume workout. what is this designed for? building mass?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Re: new direction for workout

    Originally posted by BumbleBeeCivic


    wow, that seems like a pretty low volume workout. what is this designed for? building mass?
    Power, but you'd be surprised with the size gains.

    It's not that low of volume, it's meant to be intense.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

    Kim Kardashian Sex tape:
    Originally posted by hadookin
    nice box... to bad that nigs face is in it

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Audi S3
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by Darkane


    Wow that protein is low man, double that shit like yesterday! The gains will return with renewed vigor.

    How much fat were you eating?

    Read the thread link I posted for fish oil.
    I remembered why my protein count was low, i forgot dinner haha, so around 130g and with my new shake i should be over 160g per day

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tdot n CT
    My Ride
    15,000 red line
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    sorry for thread hijack but has anyone ordered supplements through bodybuilding.com? cos they seem pretty cheap, was shipping a hassle?
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Let's face reality here, without these ethnic buffers (malls, stores, ethnic contractors, etc...) society just can't handle cultral integration. You don't believe me? How would you feel like if your teenaged caucasian daughter came home dating an Asian boy? (come on be honest) Or would you rather the Azn boy hang out at an Asian mall picking up his "own kind"?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by ragu
    sorry for thread hijack but has anyone ordered supplements through bodybuilding.com? cos they seem pretty cheap, was shipping a hassle?
    Yes.
    No.

    They were perfectly fine for me.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tdot n CT
    My Ride
    15,000 red line
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    ^^Thanks man.

    I am gonna place an order soon, gonna save a lot of money ....screw GNC and popeyes...
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Let's face reality here, without these ethnic buffers (malls, stores, ethnic contractors, etc...) society just can't handle cultral integration. You don't believe me? How would you feel like if your teenaged caucasian daughter came home dating an Asian boy? (come on be honest) Or would you rather the Azn boy hang out at an Asian mall picking up his "own kind"?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Audi S3
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    so with some new supplements im going to update my diet
    how does this sound

    breakfast
    1/3 cup cottage cheese
    couple scoops of yogurt mixed with granola cereal

    snack
    boost drink
    hand full of almonds
    trail mix bar
    banana or orange

    lunch
    tuna sandwich
    2x hard boiled eggs
    oatmeal muffin

    snack
    couple scoops cottage cheese
    250-500ml milk

    pre workout
    Optimum 100% Whey Protein 1scoop in 250ml 2% milk

    post workout
    Optimum 100% Whey Protein 1scoop in 250ml 2% milk
    and creatine

    Dinner
    chicken breast
    potatoes

    (dinner varies of course)

    and possibly a small snack before bed and some ZMA

    should put me around 160-170g protein a day
    Last edited by civicrider; 02-10-2009 at 09:38 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Looks pretty decent actually.

    See if you can up the protein. If you were eating 160g before and stopped gaining it doesn't make sense to keep it there.

    If I understood correctly, you were gaining some fat, so the added calories from carbs isn't a great idea.

    Shoot for 225g protein, that will put you in the 1.5g/lb area.


    Couple suggestions, Post workout you might want to try something like gatorade powder instead of the milk for carbs. You'll need the fast carbs (50G or so) and the insulin spike will aid with the creatine absorption. Also the fat in the milk might slow down the protein/carbs uptake.

    Next, for your post work out meal, since it's at night try something slower than potatoes. I'd go with brown rice, yams, sweet potatoes, Oats, whole wheat pasta etc.

    Use this: http://www.glycemicindex.com/

    Go to the database and search your favorite foods. Anything 50 and lower is considered "low GI" and is slower absorbing. These are the carbs to consume 90% of the time. Post work out shake we want the sugars.

    And finally if you do have a snack pre-bed, make sure it has trace or no carbs and does not contain calcium. Calcium will interfere with the zinc from ZMA.

    Hit it hard.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

    Kim Kardashian Sex tape:
    Originally posted by hadookin
    nice box... to bad that nigs face is in it

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Audi S3
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by Darkane
    Looks pretty decent actually.

    See if you can up the protein. If you were eating 160g before and stopped gaining it doesn't make sense to keep it there.

    If I understood correctly, you were gaining some fat, so the added calories from carbs isn't a great idea.

    Shoot for 225g protein, that will put you in the 1.5g/lb area.


    Couple suggestions, Post workout you might want to try something like gatorade powder instead of the milk for carbs. You'll need the fast carbs (50G or so) and the insulin spike will aid with the creatine absorption. Also the fat in the milk might slow down the protein/carbs uptake.

    Next, for your post work out meal, since it's at night try something slower than potatoes. I'd go with brown rice, yams, sweet potatoes, Oats, whole wheat pasta etc.

    Use this: http://www.glycemicindex.com/

    Go to the database and search your favorite foods. Anything 50 and lower is considered "low GI" and is slower absorbing. These are the carbs to consume 90% of the time. Post work out shake we want the sugars.

    And finally if you do have a snack pre-bed, make sure it has trace or no carbs and does not contain calcium. Calcium will interfere with the zinc from ZMA.

    Hit it hard.
    With that diet I just posted that's adding about 60G of protein compared to my previous diet, which when i counted everything together was 100-110 so fairly low, so now I have upped it, If i did exactly the diet i posted its around 170g protein (i actually sat down and added up based on the nutrition facts)

    I am dropping the quickmass to reduce calories and use the whey protein that has less calories and more protein per scoop. The creatine i take right now says to take right after the workout, would it be okay to mix with the water i drink during my workout? I will cut back on the milk and drink more water and or gatorade. I will check out that site as well thanks.

    Also is it a good idea to eat right before working out or to eat an hour or so before?
    Last edited by civicrider; 02-11-2009 at 05:11 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,039
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    You got to man up and eat more in my opinion. Everything is perfect but that diet is weak sauce. I've seen vagina's take in more meat than that.

    Dump the snacks and take in 2 more well rounded meals like your having for dinner. 3 Protein shakes in between when your hungry. This simple change is most likely to yield the results your looking for than other factors like training or supplements.


    Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Audi S3
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I was going to add in a chicken wrap as an afternoon snack with at least one good sized chicken breast in it. I feel like im putting on a bit of a belly, and that's why i'm trying to eat more protein in the day and less calories. It's not like a beer gut or anything but i used to have some what of abs and now they are fading as i am putting on this weight.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,039
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    meh, you need some clay if you want to build a sculpture.


    write that down.


    Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Audi S3
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    haha good saying, my goal is 170-175lbs with a nice cut

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Originally posted by civicrider
    haha good saying, my goal is 170-175lbs with a nice cut
    At how tall?

    175 with a nice cut assuming 8-10% is pretty big actually!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

    Kim Kardashian Sex tape:
    Originally posted by hadookin
    nice box... to bad that nigs face is in it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Direction of Sub?

    By str8jkt in forum In Car Entertainment / Electronics
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 08-28-2004, 03:36 PM
  2. direction question

    By YCB in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 05-19-2004, 12:53 AM
  3. Acura Concept Reveals Direction of RL Redesign

    By go77306 in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 04-09-2004, 12:08 AM
  4. The new direction of Jeep

    By Gripenfelter in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 14
    Latest Threads: 01-12-2004, 08:06 AM
  5. Same road, different speed limit for each direction?

    By FiveFreshFish in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 07-06-2003, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •