Quantcast
Looks like IBM took Michael Moore's idea.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looks like IBM took Michael Moore's idea..

Default Looks like IBM took Michael Moore's idea..

I actually really like the concept.. this is true innovation, although I'm not sure how people will react to it.

What it boils down to is this:

If you live in an expensive country and cannot find work at an inflated salary sufficient to support a lifestyle in that market, would you rather move to a less expensive market where it costs less to sustain yourself and keep your job?

This was played with by Michael Moore with the laid off American autoworkers going to Mexico to try to get their old job back, but it looks like this is now happening:

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/News/...ow/4085361.cms

I say good for IBM.. at least the option is out there.

My Ride
    Audi

As "innovative" as this is given today's economy - im skeptical why they'd put out this kind of offer since I can't see many people taking it. Additionally, is IBM going to help them move back if they dont like it there/get let go shortly after moving there?

Seems more a vehicle for them to say how great of a place it is to work because they tried to help workers get jobs after being let go during the down turn.

Definately a good way to cut costs though. Get rid of the more expensive workers, offer them an opportunity to make less money in another country. Same employee, less pay, less benefits.

Edit: This definately gets my 'wtf' radar going. It says sales/distribution/software team. Sales guys need to know the local language well in order to sell. Distribution is already overloaded with people and well, software... already billions of programmers in India. Why export some from North America?

I've dealt with many large IT companies and IBM's sales and distribution team is easily one of the most bloated in North America. The sales process is ridiculous, and the # of people i have to talk to to get something done makes me glad that now there are probably less people that something has to go through to get done.