Quantcast
2009 F1 Winter Group Tests Week #2 - Feb 10-13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2009 F1 Winter Group Tests Week #2 - Feb 10-13

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default 2009 F1 Winter Group Tests Week #2 - Feb 10-13

Almost time for the 2nd and 3rd round of group testing this week.

Red Bull showed off their new car today, the RB5, and after 9 laps, developed a problem, and finished up for the day. No laptimes to report there.

So official testing starts tomorrow at Jerez and Bahrain for 4 days. Group Test #3 stays in Bahrain for the Bahrain group, with the Jerez group moving to Barcelona for the 18th-20th Test #3. With only 1 test driver allowed per day, here are the driver schedules:

McLaren @ Jerez
    10, 11 - Heikki
    12, 13 - Lewis

Renault @ Jerez
    10, 11 - Piquet
    12, 13 - Alonso

Williams @ Jerez
    10 - Hulkenberg
    11 - Nakajima
    12 - Rosberg
    13 - Nakajima (morning) Rosberg (afternoon)

Red Bull Racing @ Jerez
    10 - Vettel
    11 - Webber
    12 - Vettel
    13 - Webber

Scuderia Torro Rosso @ Jerez
    10 - Buemi
    11 - Bourdais
    12 - Buemi
    13 - Bourdais

Ferrari @ Bahrain
    10, 11 - Massa
    12, 13 - Raikkonen
    16, 17 - Raikkonen
    18, 19 - Massa

BMW @ Bahrain
    10, 11, 12 - Kubica
    13 - Klien
    16 - Klien
    17, 18, 19 - Heidfeld

Toyota @ Bahrain
    10, 11 - Glock
    12, 13 - Trulli
    16, 17 - Trulli
    18, 19 - Glock
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Is it just me, or does that seem like a really small testing field?
    Geek

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

That's all teams minus Honda (withdrew, no new buyer yet), and Force India. I haven't heard much about Force India at all...

There will be a lot less cars on the track for testing this year, seeing as only 1 car per team is allowed at any time.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I'm wondering if they'll even get a field of 22 for the first race :\
    Geek

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    I'm wondering if they'll even get a field of 22 for the first race :\
    ...aren't there only 10 teams? 9 without Honda. I don't see any way we'd get 22 this year. Maybe next year if Honda gets purchased and USF1 gets approved.

we won't even get 20 this year minus Honda.
    Its too late for the Honda deal to be worthwhile for somebody since theyve missed all this R&D and test time. If they wanted any chance to be competitive, they needed a buyer in December. And I don't think USF1 is real either, but we'll see.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There will be most likely 18 cars on the grid for the first race. The minimum amount of cars required is 16 (although some TV contracts have it at 18), so unless another team drops out, things will be fine.

In the case where total cars drop to 16 or less, FIA will ask other teams (most likely McLaren and Ferrari) to run a 3rd car. This 3rd car will not compete for constructors or drivers championships, so it's pretty much free testing for the teams.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

If they did run that 3rd car, does it go through qualifying the same as the rest? or are they placed at the back of the grid by default? Would suck for other teams if cars that can't compete for either championship, can take away top 10 grid spots.. Just wondering how that works..

that's bs.
    Cars that aren't running for points will just "let" their teammates through and block those that are running for points. The system won't really work with some cars running for points and some that are not.

I think they should get rid of the team orders rule anyway since everybody does it. They just have to be a little more discrete about it now, although its still pretty obvious when it happens.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

What they really need is to have the A1 Nations Grand Prix series on North American TV <_< Those are incredible races to watch as everyone runs the same car, so it's all down to driver skill
    Geek

Originally posted by buh_buh
    that's bs.
    Cars that aren't running for points will just &quot;let&quot; their teammates through and block those that are running for points. The system won't really work with some cars running for points and some that are not.

I think they should get rid of the team orders rule anyway since everybody does it. They just have to be a little more discrete about it now, although its still pretty obvious when it happens.
    FIA asks McLaren to put an extra car out. Accuses them of using it to their own advantage. Ferrari wins.

I don't see why the FIA doesn't do this every year.
    Last edited by Mibz; 02-09-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    What they really need is to have the A1 Nations Grand Prix series on North American TV &lt;_&lt; Those are incredible races to watch as everyone runs the same car, so it's all down to driver skill
    if you want to watch spec racing, go watch GP2. That's not what F1 is about.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by buh_buh
    if you want to watch spec racing, go watch GP2. That's not what F1 is about.
    +1

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Day 1 times are now final.

Bahrain:
    1. T. Glock Toyota TF109 1:33.501 82 laps
    2. F. Massa Ferrari F60 1:33.615 +0.114 98 laps
    3. R. Kubica BMW Sauber F1.09 1:33.702 +0.201 95 laps

Jerez:
    1. S. Buemi Toro Rosso (2008) 1.19:660 104 laps
    2. S. Vettel Red Bull 1.22:177 +2.517 63 laps
    3. N. Hülkenberg Williams 1.22:443 +2.783 82 laps
    4. H. Kovalainen McLaren 1.22:634 +2.974 66 laps
    5. N. Piquet Renault 1.23:313 +3.653 35 laps

Ignore the Torro Rosso's times, they're still running their 2008 car.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

And press releases.

Ferrari:
    Balance at Bahrain

A positive outcome at the end of the first day of the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro's test sessions at the Sakhir circuit in Bahrain, together with two other teams: BMW and Toyota.

The first driver on the track was Felipe Massa. The Brazilian started the day with setup work on his car, to find the best possible settings for his start to dedicate himself later in the afternoon to some mileage tests with a series of quite long runs (with 15 laps each). At the end Felipe had completed 98 laps or around 530 kilometres.

The Ferrarista's fastest lap was 1.33.615, the second fastest time of the day, behind Glock (1.33.501), but ahead of Kubica (1.33.702). This shows how even the balance of power is distributed on the track amongst the teams here at Sakhir.

"I'd say that it was a positive start of this test session. We drove many kilometres, driving with continuity and we could quickly find a very good setup for the car," Felipe said at the end of the day. "I'm especially satisfied with the constant lap times in the afternoon, when we drove some pretty long stints. But it's still far too early to understand where we are compared to our competitors. And there's still a lot of work to do to improve the car's behaviour.

The Ferrari F60 today on the track in Bahrain was the same used during the tests at Mugello in January. The main goal of the day was to finally drive it under stable track conditions and similar temperatures the teams will have during the races to test the car's reliability and to get to know the slicks. As far as the reliability is concerned today's main problem was an electronic anomaly, which didn't allow the use of the KERS, which remained deactivated over the whole day.

The tests will proceed tomorrow with Felipe behind the wheel. As of Thursday Kimi Raikkonen will continue developing the car.
    McLaren:
    Date: Tuesday February 10 2009
    Drivers: Heikki Kovalainen
    Track Length: 4.423km
    Weather: Dry and cloudy - with a mid-morning shower
    Track temperature: Maximum 20.6°C
    Air temperature: Maximum 16.7°C
    Laps run today: 60
    Laps run in total at test: 60
    Kilometres covered today: 265km
    Kilometres covered in total at test: 265km
    Best lap time today: 1m22.634 at 16:29
    Best lap time of the test: 1m22.634
    Programme: First running of MP4-24 in familiar conditions. Heikki ran a parallel programme, focusing on developing useful set-ups for the new car while also putting mileage on the car’s active KERS device. The team set itself prudent targets on both thermal and pressure thresholds in order to safeguard the machinery and this resulted in a few aborted runs when those thresholds were reached. Heikki felt the KERS device worked well but required further work in concert with the car’s set-up to produce optimum results. As much of the day’s work was exploratory, the team chose to undertake most of its work on a single set of dry tyres choosing only to switch to fresh rubber – and set its fastest lap – towards the end of the day. The team will continue with the same programme tomorrow and is optimistic of increasing the length of the runs as it increases its understanding of the KERS device.
    Drivers for tomorrow: Heikki
    Duration of test: Four days (Feb 10-13)
    Next Test: Jerez (Mar 1-4)
    BMW:
    February 10th – 13th 2009
    Day one – Tuesday

Weather conditions: Heavy fog in the morning, sunny for the rest of the day.

Temperature: Air: 15 – 27 °C, Track: 17 – 35 °C

Number of drivers participating: 3 from 3 teams

Fastest lap overall: Timo Glock (Toyota) 1:33.501 min

Circuit length: 5.412 km

Robert Kubica
    Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.09-02 / BMW 86/9
    Test kilometres today: 515 (95 laps)
    Fastest lap: 1:33.702 min

Programme:
    The start of today’s test session was delayed by nearly two hours due to poor visibility. Once the fog went away and the sun came out Robert Kubica worked on the set-up of the BMW Sauber F1.09. The team made good progress developing the new car, although just after the lunch break Kubica stopped out on the track due to a mechanical problem. He resumed testing after repairs had been made.

“It was the first time I was able to drive the new car in warm weather”, Kubica said after completing 95 laps. “We learned a lot about the car’s behaviour in these conditions, so overall it was a good day.”

What comes next:
    This week’s testing in Bahrain will continue until Friday. Robert Kubica will be at the wheel of the BMW Sauber F1.09 again tomorrow and Thursday. On Friday Christian Klien will take over testing duties.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

McLaren using Flo-Vis in today's test. A little background... Flow-Vis is used to check aerodynamics... air flow patterns. Usually, this is used in the wind tunnels. So far, Renault (who's really slow) and McLaren (who wasn't blazing today either) have now used it on the track. It's rarely used on the track because competitors can clearly see the airflow patterns of your car and be able to steal aero ideas, etc. With the amount of testing being so limited and with only 50% scale windtunnels allowed this year, using flow-vis on the track points to some sort of an aerodynamic problem. CAD/CAM Design + CFD simulations doesn't match real world results.

McLaren's time btw was set on fresh tires at the end of the day (when the track is usually fastest), but still ended up 2nd last.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

And finally, video from today.

Lunch break over... back to work for me lol.

What's the difference in the cars this year? Were the rules changed? They all look a lot different, especially in the front wing area. (Sorry I don't follow this stuff)
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by arian_ma
    What's the difference in the cars this year? Were the rules changed? They all look a lot different, especially in the front wing area. (Sorry I don't follow this stuff)
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/251894/re...9-regulations/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast