Quantcast
Required markings for handicap spots? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Required markings for handicap spots?

Default Required markings for handicap spots?

So I went to get groceries today, pull into what I thought was a pretty good spot.

For visualization purposes, I'm in a block of 12 spots, 6 rows, 2 thick, road right in front of the store on one side, cart return on far side. I'm in the third row closest to the store.

Store

XX< 1 handicap sign in middle of 4 spots
    XX<
    XX<me
    XX
    XX
    XX<1 handicap sign in middle of 2 spots

I get out of the car, and some guy who had already pissed me off because he was just standing in the middle of the lane hindering traffic asks me what I'm doing. I respond confused, he says 'you know you're in a handicap spot right?' I glance back. I say no, theres no signs, I'm not. The 4 spots next to me are, but not mine. He says, yes there it is, and it extends all the way down. I still don't know what the hell he;s talking about, but then I see between the two farthest spots next to the cart return (spots 11 & 12 I'll call them) there is another sign.

So here we have 12 spots, nearest 4 and farthest 2 all clearly indicated. And he concluded that therefore the signs extend through all in the middle. I start arguing, he says either move or he's calling the cops. Now I don't know why there are two spots close to cart return (maybe so they don't have to walk far to bring back a a cart?) but it just pissed me off that this guy wanted to be that much of a busy body and hassle me when there was no obvious signage on my specific spot. I agree it's odd to have handicap spots farther away and regular ones in the middle, but if they are all handicap ones, at least 1 sign for every 4 spots I don't think is too much. I have nothing more to go by than signs.

Guess I equally hate the fact that I had to give this jackass the satisfaction of responding to his threat and moving. I don't know the law, and right or wrong, do I really wanna spend 20 minutes waiting for cops, then dealing with them, then with the very slight chance that I am wrong? It was easier just to take 45 seconds and move 1 row over.

So anyone know the details?

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

those are not handicap spots, the only handicap was the guy you had to deal with

You were in the right, but let him call the cops. By the time he calls them and they actually show up (if they even do for a handicap spot violation), you'll already be gone. I wouldve just ignored him.

My Ride
    V167

No sign on pavement and/or in front of the spot = you can park there. Screw that SOB for thinking he's too smart.

My Ride
    GT TDi

is the pavement marking enough? I thought there needs to be a sign on a post, otherwise its not a valid handicapped spot? example: snow.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    Vantage, RX-8, Mazda 3, Rover Sport

You should have told him to phone the police. I'm sure this is a punishable crime.

There has to be a sign. If there are ground markings its not valid.

I would have ignored him but he sounds like the kind of douche to key your car after you leave. Fun alternative if you have time to kill and say "ok, call" and wait.

My Ride
    V167

Yeah sorry, wasn't really clear about that in my post. I usually check for sign first and pavement just to be sure. I don't think putting 1 sign for 4 spots is legal either. Would probably need 2 double sided signs for something like that (ie: those ones that are screwed into the ground and are flexible incase they are bumped).

I don't get the handicap spots being in the middle of the parking lot though. They have them at Superstore in Shawnessy as well and they are pretty far out. Seem to be there just incase the ones in front are full...but it means whoever parks there has to walk quite a bit.

it's only at stupidstore where they have handicap parking far away in the bloody parking lot.

You did the right thing.You can't reason with a fucking retard.

My Ride
    fast and red.

I always wondered if Superstore put those spots farther away so that they're at least close to the carts?

but I agree, you could have ignored him, but you're just asking for a key mark. Doesn't make him right, but sometimes it's just easier to be prudent.