Quantcast
Neo tune time/ECU question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Neo tune time/ECU question

My Ride
    10 psi of potato pressure

Default Neo tune time/ECU question

I've been thinking of picking up an apexi neo to do some minor tuning on my gen II 3sgte. Would like to know approx. how much to allot for dyno/tuning time so I can budget for it.

Also, I have a 93 ECU, with a possible, but non confirmed JDM (blitz etc) rom tune, as 550's were originally installed, and seemed to run ok. I am unable to pull any CEL from this ECU though, and have narrowed it down to a grounding issue within the ECU for the CEL.

I have a spare stock ECU from a 90T, as well as 440's currently installed. I am able to pull codes off this ECU, and currently have a few codes stored (can't remember exactly what they are). I believe the codes are due to minor incompatibility of the 90T ECU and the 93 motor, due to pinout differences.

Which ECU should I run?

Sorry guys, but I'm on a "learn as you go" basis, and I have not gone here yet...

My Ride
    1982 supra

$400 to 800

My Ride
    F430, M3, 911

i would think the blitz ecu would already have optomized settings for both A/F and Boost so i wouldn't mess with it as for the OEM Ecu that would be the one i would start with anytime using a Piggyback... I have a NEO installed on my JDM Deuce its a pretty cool little system...

My Ride

Well I am not positive that the 93 ECU is tuned to begin with, or by what company. I was told by the PO that it had off the scale richness at idle, but at WOT it was 11-10.5. This was done back in 06, so I am unsure of what turbo was installed.

In the event that the ECU was rom tuned, it would most likely would have been to run with the 550's, but am unsure of what turbo (the clip came with a ct26, but PO installed a gt28rs). I am currently running a gt28rs, and from reading on mr2oc, due to the charastics of that turbo, it is very different from the ct26 (or even a ct20b)

If I go with the Neo, would the pin-out differences between the 90T ECU and the 93 motor be something that I would need to be concerned with? Does anyone know what exactly is different between the 2?

Porsche, what sort of dyno time did you need to get your Neo tuned? 4-8 bills is a big difference...

My Ride
    F430, M3, 911

Originally posted by New2Talon
    Well I am not positive that the 93 ECU is tuned to begin with, or by what company. I was told by the PO that it had off the scale richness at idle, but at WOT it was 11-10.5. This was done back in 06, so I am unsure of what turbo was installed.

In the event that the ECU was rom tuned, it would most likely would have been to run with the 550's, but am unsure of what turbo (the clip came with a ct26, but PO installed a gt28rs). I am currently running a gt28rs, and from reading on mr2oc, due to the charastics of that turbo, it is very different from the ct26 (or even a ct20b)

If I go with the Neo, would the pin-out differences between the 90T ECU and the 93 motor be something that I would need to be concerned with? Does anyone know what exactly is different between the 2?

Porsche, what sort of dyno time did you need to get your Neo tuned? 4-8 bills is a big difference...
    Hey man i never did any dyno pulls i really just messed around with it on the street, find a deserted road and mess with it.. Like im no super tuner or whatever but after playing with it for a couple hours you get a general understanding of how to tune it basically... as for the pin outs they should be the same only difference would be between a 1994 mr2 or one without a MAF.. otherwise same pin outs.. pretty easy install though..

My Ride

Were you using a wideband o2? Have you had any prior tuning exp. before you street tuned yours?

As for pinouts I forgot to mention that I am running a 93 JDM motor/wiring harness and a 90T ECU ATM. There are 3 or 4 pins that would need to be repinned to be 100% plug and play.

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=25...ecu+difference

My Ride
    F430, M3, 911

Were you using a wideband o2? Have you had any prior tuning exp. before you street tuned yours?

As for pinouts I forgot to mention that I am running a 93 JDM motor/wiring harness and a 90T ECU ATM. There are 3 or 4 pins that would need to be repinned to be 100% plug and play.

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=25...ecu+difference
    The car this was installed on is my JDM MR2 and their wasn't any pinout difference i simply just hooked it up via the instructions provided in the user manual.. no i didnt have any prior tuning experience.. they are pretty easy to use well i thought so anyways..

My Ride

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about...

You said it would be best to use the "non-modified" ecu, but in my case that would be the ecu from a 91T USDM. That ecu is not plug and play with a 93 JDM harness. I would either need a 93 JDM ecu or a 93-95 USDM ecu.

My Ride
    F430, M3, 911

ohh my mistake you are right i didnt know you were running a JDM motor and Harness using a USDM ECU.. honest mistake in that case yes you would need to repin it..

My Ride
    Mk6 GTi

Wouldn't the blitz ecu cause him to run near full duty cycle on his current injectors which he says are only 440?

See if you can get a Rev-3 ECU and tune from the base map, may work out better. Or, drop the coin and go full stand alone. Cam at Lightspeed has some good pricing on the Vipek and will dyno tune it for you as well.

A friend took his mr2 (Rev 3 engine, modded, powerfc) to Cam, and it cost him in the $3-400 range for a good conservative tune.

My Ride

The blitz ecu originally came with the clip, along with 550's. The car ran pig rich, and I read that 550's weren't needed for my supporting mods, so I replaced the 550's with stock 440's and a "non modified ecu". I ended up getting the wrong type of ecu to be plug and play.

What is a vipek? I have never heard of that before.

He has the rev 3 motor as well as the rev 3 ecu? or does he just have rev 3 electronics on his rev 2 motor?

My Ride
    Mk6 GTi

The blitz ecu originally came with the clip, along with 550's. The car ran pig rich, and I read that 550's weren't needed for my supporting mods, so I replaced the 550's with stock 440's and a "non modified ecu". I ended up getting the wrong type of ecu to be plug and play.

What is a vipek? I have never heard of that before.

He has the rev 3 motor as well as the rev 3 ecu? or does he just have rev 3 electronics on his rev 2 motor?
    Sorry, he has a Rev-3 engine, and a PowerFC. It was rob @ Project omega's old engine minus the cam's. Vipek is just another brand of standalone, but has some local support, and a cheaper sticker price.

My Ride

Do you have a link to any local vipek sellers/tuners? I can't seem to find any on google (vipek bring up a lot of non english websites)?

Would a powerfc be overkill for what I need? Currently my only mods would be the gt28rs, and possibly 550's. I am fairly happy with that turbo, and plan to keep that setup for a while now, but things might change down the road...

Right now I'm tossing up either a ROM tune from ats, or piggyback either safc/neo. Although powerfc might be a viable option (fairly similar pricing minus tuning costs), as it is cheaper than a AEM ems, but will still allow me to delete the afm.

What do you guys think?

My Ride
    Mk6 GTi

Power FC is not really overkill in any situation where you want to get tuned. It's a moderately expensive option, but imo overkill would be like an Fcon setup or something very expensive.

link to vipec dealer / support:

http://www.lightspeedinnovations.com/

My Ride

Ah thanks. I was searching for vipek with K.