Quantcast
40D or 50D? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 40D or 50D?

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by 89coupe
    LOL, you two are so funny.

The "other stores" I was referring to were the ones mentioned. Future Shop, Best Buy & Memory Express.

Don't get in a huffy because your favorite little camera store wasnt' mentioned.
    For the record, the camera store is my favorite local place to shop for gear. I just had to say something because you're acting like a pompous know-it-all.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

As I said all the time ..

what body to buy .. doesn't matter ..

Better look at what SYSTEM you want more ..

In general .. Nikon offers better wide angle lens, better flash system .. and lower price lens (untill some newer lens, they are more $$ then Canon)

Canon .. offer better tele side, (but some newer Nikon tele lens are good too, but no longer much cheaper then Canon) and also better big apeture prime lens, slightly better AF system. (again, the new AGF system on D3 is damn good too, as good as on 1 series.

Um .. do u need or want METAL body? if yes, you can take off D90, (and D90 is more or less compare to 450D, when D300 is more direct compare with 50D/40D)

I have both 40D and 50D (40D is gone now) I actually would suggest 40D, pretty much the only advantage on 50D is nicer LCD,( but who cares?) and offer micro AF adjustment. (which is good for big aperture lens and tele lens) 16MP vs 11MP .. again .. no big deal, I only set my 50D to 8MP. Does it worth extra ~$500 for a 50D? It is jsut hard to say, IMO, not really.

So, for the price point, I think you can get 40D at around $1,050 and @$1500, you can get it with the 17-85IS lens, which is quite a bargain, then $130 on 50mm F1.8 and $350 on 430EX flash, you get yourself a pretty good "STARTER KIT"
    Try it out for a few month, see if you are really into photography, then you can add some more gears depends your budget.

The XSi Package is good deal too, $849 with XSi, 18-55IS lens and 55-250IS .. so add on the 50mm + 430EX + few filters/diffusor, still will under $1500!!! (that case, you get yourself a very good DSLR kit, just not Metal body, image quality will be almost same as D90/D50/D40)
    Last edited by C4S; 02-18-2009 at 03:57 PM.
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

Originally posted by Melinda
    I just had to say something because you're acting like a pompous know-it-all.
    Who?? 89coupe??? NEVER!!!!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Who?? 89coupe??? NEVER!!!!

Say it isn't so!

So basically I can get like Bestbuy to price match TCS/Saneal/Vistek plus 10 percent off?

Also, the price diff of the 40D and 50D is only about 200 bucks.

My Ride
    MB C63

Originally posted by Shaolin
    So basically I can get like Bestbuy to price match TCS/Saneal/Vistek plus 10 percent off?

Also, the price diff of the 40D and 50D is only about 200 bucks.
    Agreed with Melinda if you know what youre buying and you've done your research it makes no difference where you buy. Infact all my gear has been bought from Futureshop and Bestbuy even though I went to thecamerastore for advice.

As for camera's I would stick with the 40D and put the 200 you save into a piece of glass or other accessories. I only shoot for hobbiest purposes and an XTI is more than enough for me at this point however the time I've used the 40D I've been very pleased with the results and the features of the camera.

As for bestbuy/futureshop price matching to those stores, they will price match and give you 10% off the difference in price not 10% off the product. So if the price difference is 200 dollars between futureshop and the camera store youll save 20 dollars, which is still better than nothing.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Have you considered the Nikon D80 or D200? Older models but certainly not slouches.

Also, what the FUCK has happened with the price on the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8....now 2 grand!!

A D80 with an 80-200 f/2.8 would be a pretty nice starting setup in my opinion.

I really have no idea what's going on with Canon since I have Nikon. I haven't really bothered to look, once you pick it's all over!

Have you tried holding all the camera models so far? Same story, different thread....I was set 100% on getting a rebel but after holding it once, that's all I needed to say fuck this. Grip, placement of buttons/switches are all something that are often overlooked when shopping but sometimes can be very noticeable once you have had the camera for a bit...you either love it or hate it.

Take your time and don't rush!

Let us know what you end up with though
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

If only $200 different .. then go for 50D ..

I haven't checked price closely .. I just know 50D and D300 are around the same price .. like only ~$100 diff .. last time I looked at D300 was $1749. and $1599 for 50D ..

If you don't like to spend time on photo editing, look at the Fuji S5 pro! (Nikon D200/300 body and mount) they were on sale for $999 .. best mid level DSLR for under $1k! It also support older nikon manual lens!
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Here is my example of why I would purchase from a place like The Camera Store over some box store.

I purchased a variable density lens from the Camera Store before going to Hawaii last year.

I told him why I wanted it and when I was going to try it out. This was about 3 months before my trip.

After my trip I was processing my photos and realized that the variable density filter was causing vignetting at wide angles, which at the time I was told wouldn't happen.

So about a month later I went down to the Camera Store and explained my situation.

We both agreed that this wasn't good and he offered to take it back, even though this particular filter clearly stated no returns after purchase.

He then mentioned that this filter was also offered in a thinner model, I recalled contemplating getting this thinner model in the beginning but was hesitant because of the extra $100 it cost.

Well to make the story short, the prices changed and that thinner more expensive filter was now less then the price I paid for the thicker model which he took back and gave me the thinner model along with a credit. So I ended up getting a $400 filter for less then I originally paid for the thicker one.

Hassle free!

When I was at Saneal the sales guy let me play with the 40D and the 50D. Feel wise I didn't notice too much of a difference.

Because the price difference is not that much and TCS doesn't have the 40D in stock anymore, it'll give me an excuse to get the 50D.

I think I'll be getting the 50D unless between now and April something else comes out.

Time to research the lenses!

Thanks everyone for the help!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If 2k is your budget, I think you'd be happier shooting sports with fast glass than a fancier body, but that's just my logic.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

2K budget is tight on 50D .. unless u just want a 18-55 kit lens or 50mm F1.8. since Flash is $350 anyway .. and u need a external flash, unless you only do outdoor/daytime picture.

It is ok to play with the build in flash, but soon, you will need the external flash.
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Sports photography needs reach, as it's a big soccer field. You could probably get away with:

40D: $900
    Canon 70-300IS or 70-200 f/4L: ~$725

That leaves $375 for, well everything else - a normal everyday lens, flash, memory cards, tripod/monopod, etc. And really, that's not enough cash for that. For what you want to do, I think you're putting too much importance on the body and not the lenses. If you went with the 50D, that even writes the 70-300 out of the budget, leaving you with far more limited selection in (shorter) telephotos.

For example,

Canon XSi + 17-85mmIS : $1,150
    Canon 70-300IS or 70-200 f/4L: ~$725

That leaves you with ~$125 for accessories and gains you a wide-normal zoom for everyday shooting.

Or,

Nikon D90 + 18-55mmVR: $1,250
    Nikon 70-300VR: $525

Which gets you a much more capable camera than the XSi with an image stabilized normal and tele lens set, and $225 to spend on other things. Heck, that's almost enough for a nice SB-600 flash unit ($275)

Frankly, for what you want to do with the money you've got, I think the Nikon setup is the way to go.

As an aside, the kits I talked about are good for daytime outdoor sports. Indoor/evening sports call for more expensive teles - budget at least $1,200 for the lens alone if you want to do that kind of shooting.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    Great knowledgable advice like this can only come from a TCS employee!
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Hahaha, in case anyone didn't catch the joke there, I don't actually work at TCS. The Rural Juror was being a bit...facetious.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

And in case the OP hasn't yet caught on, GOOD GLASS SHOULD BE YOUR PRIORITY

God I'm a dick
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    fiat abarth

I am not going to bother trying to defend my statements, its a forum anyways. But I was referring more specifically about sports shooting. In the 70-200mm range, nothing really beats the L for canon. Sure 70-300mm or 55-200mm might get you some pics in good light, but they wont be able to match up to even the 70-200mm f4L.

For sports, pick up a 30D, since it has the same AF module as 40D and close enough to the 50D. and try to get a 70-200mm f4L.

Anyways, pick the system that would get you the best output for your purposes. Brands dont matter all that much anyways unless you trade equipment often.

For the nikon system, I would trade the 70-300mm VR with 80-200mm f2.8 (have to find this used tho)

btw, by crap canon lenses I mean 18-55mm, 17-85mm IS, 55-250mm, 75-300mm. with the exception of sony, rest of the competition offers sharper equivalent lenses at the same price points. the new 18-55mm IS is good however. whatever you do, dont shoot a 50D and a 18-55mm.
    Last edited by bcylau; 02-18-2009 at 09:09 PM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by bcylau
    I am not going to bother trying to defend my statements, its a forum anyways. But I was referring more specifically about sports shooting. In the 70-200mm range, nothing really beats the L for canon. Sure 70-300mm or 55-200mm might get you some pics in good light, but they wont be able to match up to even the 70-200mm f4L.

For sports, pick up a 30D, since it has the same AF module as 40D and close enough to the 50D. and try to get a 70-200mm f4L.

Anyways, pick the system that would get you the best output for your purposes. Brands dont matter all that much anyways unless you trade equipment often.

For the nikon system, I would trade the 70-300mm VR with 80-200mm f2.8 (have to find this used tho)
    1.) The 30D is almost impossible to find new.

2.) The Nikon 80-200/2.8D has never been discontinued and remains in the current Nikon lineup for around $1150.

3.) For outdoor daytime soccer, reach tends become more important than max aperture due to the easy lighting conditions. If you're shooting at f/8 anyway, why not have an extra 100mm on the long end? Besides, for the price the f4L doesn't gain you much in the way of aperture over a 70-300 anyway and is a pretty short lens for shooting soccer.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Hahaha, in case anyone didn't catch the joke there, I don't actually work at TCS. The Rural Juror was being a bit...facetious.
    Eff you. You just don't want to give us discounts.

To the OP - IS/VR is a must for spying on women. I find that there is never enough time to set up a tripod in most situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    fiat abarth

Sorry, I didnt know they still made the 80-200mm. If you can assume f8, then olympus system might come into play. e520 +70-300mm. You get 200mm (eqv) more reach and IS. But since you are looking at Nikon and Canon, then nm.

1.) The 30D is almost impossible to find new.

2.) The Nikon 80-200/2.8D has never been discontinued and remains in the current Nikon lineup for around $1150.

3.) For outdoor daytime soccer, reach tends become more important than max aperture due to the easy lighting conditions. If you're shooting at f/8 anyway, why not have an extra 100mm on the long end? Besides, for the price the f4L doesn't gain you much in the way of aperture over a 70-300 anyway and is a pretty short lens for shooting soccer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast