Quantcast
40D or 50D? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: 40D or 50D?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Oly is nice for reach, but I've never been a fan of the 4/3 sensor tech. Blotchy shadow noise from ISO400 and up, and the viewfinders are pretty poor. With only 3 AF points on the E520, shooting sports would be tough.

My Ride
    fiat abarth

I almost forgot, PMA is in 2 weeks. Buy your camera after that.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I doubt anything will be launched at PMA that will affect the 50D/D90 price points. Only the low-end models are up for replacement, barring any big surprises.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

I've considered getting a 50D to replace one of my 20D/30D/40D bodies. But I tried it out and as somebody mentioned, the only significant difference was AF microadjustment, and more megapixels. And I am *SO* impressed with the 40D performance that I would even consider an extra $200 for the 50D to be a waste of money.

Someone mentioned the 30D and 40D have the same AF system. That is TOTALLY incorrect. The 40D put the XXD series cameras into a whole new AF league. It is so much faster, more precise, and can lock onto targets in much darker light. The 20D/30D share the same system, which is a 9 point system with a centre cross active at F/2.8 or faster. The 40D and 50D share AF systems and have EIGHT OUTER cross sensors active at a crazy F/5.6, and a centre diagonal cross active at F/2.8 or faster.

I personally think the new high resolution LCD screens are overrated. The low res screens were fully adequate. What determines preview sharpness wasn't necessarily the LCD resolution, but rather, the thumbnail preview size generated and stored by the camera. i.e., the preview image I see when I chimp on my high res D700 looks pretty shitty even two steps out from full zoom... yet the Rebel XS, with the old, smaller 2.5" low res screen, looks MUCH sharper at full zoom. The high res LCD screens are nothing more than a marketing numbers gimmick, kinda like megapixels. Sounds nice but hardly benefits us.

I am having a hard time finding anything negative to say about the 40D. I would go for it (or even find one used cheap) and use the couple hundred to get a nicer lens, nicer flash, high quality tripod, or whatever else you would need.

The 40D is my *FAVOURITE* DSLR in my bag out of 6 digital bodies. so I'm just saying while the 50D might have some extra features, the 40D is still in all respects a mind blowing piece of technology.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by AccentAE86
    I've considered getting a 50D to replace one of my 20D/30D/40D bodies. But I tried it out and as somebody mentioned, the only significant difference was AF microadjustment, and more megapixels. And I am *SO* impressed with the 40D performance that I would even consider an extra $200 for the 50D to be a waste of money.

Someone mentioned the 30D and 40D have the same AF system. That is TOTALLY incorrect. The 40D put the XXD series cameras into a whole new AF league. It is so much faster, more precise, and can lock onto targets in much darker light. The 20D/30D share the same system, which is a 9 point system with a centre cross active at F/2.8 or faster. The 40D and 50D share AF systems and have EIGHT OUTER cross sensors active at a crazy F/5.6, and a centre diagonal cross active at F/2.8 or faster.

I personally think the new high resolution LCD screens are overrated. The low res screens were fully adequate. What determines preview sharpness wasn't necessarily the LCD resolution, but rather, the thumbnail preview size generated and stored by the camera. i.e., the preview image I see when I chimp on my high res D700 looks pretty shitty even two steps out from full zoom... yet the Rebel XS, with the old, smaller 2.5" low res screen, looks MUCH sharper at full zoom. The high res LCD screens are nothing more than a marketing numbers gimmick, kinda like megapixels. Sounds nice but hardly benefits us.

I am having a hard time finding anything negative to say about the 40D. I would go for it (or even find one used cheap) and use the couple hundred to get a nicer lens, nicer flash, high quality tripod, or whatever else you would need.

The 40D is my *FAVOURITE* DSLR in my bag out of 6 digital bodies. so I'm just saying while the 50D might have some extra features, the 40D is still in all respects a mind blowing piece of technology.
    Damn! I gotta say, that speech almost makes me wanna go out and buy a 2nd 40D! ..

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Why buy a camera that is no longer being produced???

To save $200 LOL

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by 89coupe

To save $200 LOL
    Yeah, god forbid a guy save $300 and buy a camera with better ISO performance than the 50D.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Yeah, god forbid a guy save $300 and buy a camera with better ISO performance than the 50D.
    LOL, sounds like you have been reading too many DPreviews.

He then mentioned that this filter was also offered in a thinner model, I recalled contemplating getting this thinner model in the beginning but was hesitant because of the extra $100 it cost.

To save $200 LOL

LOL, sounds like you have been reading too many DPreviews.
    Rewind a couple months:

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Protip: dpreview sucks and is full of gearwhores who spend their days pixel peeping at photos of their cats and masturbating over how "sharp" their lenses are. 99.99% of photos posted on DPR are shit.

I've seen more amazing photos on that site then I have anywhere else on the net.

It's funny how dropping a couple grand on a new body and a lens or 2, reading dpreview and taking some panorama shots makes you the most knowledgable photog on beyond. I had no idea it was that easy
    Last edited by 962 kid; 02-19-2009 at 12:38 AM.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    M5 Competition

LOL, you are so pathetic kid.

WTF do photos have to do with the reviews done by the owner of the site?

...and you are seriously trying to compare a filter purchase with a camera purchase?

Keep digging

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

**Queue birds chirping in the wind**

The photog section was once a peaceful place, full of beautiful art, wise advice and hungry students willing to learn!

**Kill bird with shotgun**

And now.....it can be a cluster-fuck.

Brad, you honestly seem like a really nice guy, wanting to help out, with good intentions. And while you do sometimes, I can't help but notice more often than not, you're just starting an argument with someone. Why is this?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by msommers
    **Queue birds chirping in the wind**

The photog section was once a peaceful place, full of beautiful art, wise advice and hungry students willing to learn!

**Kill bird with shotgun**

And now.....it can be a cluster-fuck.

Brad, you honestly seem like a really nice guy, wanting to help out, with good intentions. And while you do sometimes, I can't help but notice more often than not, you're just starting an argument with someone. Why is this?
    I think you should re-read my threads, because the way I see it, its the young little smartasses who reply to my comments with argumentative remarks, not the other way around.

Brad, settle down. Seriously.

I like you and poke fun most of the time but you are really uber-douching the comparos lately!

What gives?

No need for me to dig anything, it's pretty easy to remember some of the ridiculous things you say. As for the DPreview comment, I just thought it funny that you call berserkercatspl a dpreview whore when only a few months ago, he stated his distate for the site while you defended it. In regards to the filter... money saved on the camera body could have been put towards buying the proper filter in the first place. Seems pretty straightforward to me Less money spent on body = more money available for small things that someone just starting out won't have, such as filters, flashes, bags, tripods, lenspens, etc etc.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of reading posts from you that do nothing but belittle the opinions and experience of other members. No offense, but you're probably the least experienced regular poster in this section, and yet you constantly attempt to shut down people far more experienced and knowledgeable than yourself. I think you'd do well to shut up and listen to what some of the "young little smartasses" are saying every now and then, instead of constantly acting like a pompous know-it-all.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by 962 kid
    No need for me to dig anything, it's pretty easy to remember some of the ridiculous things you say. As for the DPreview comment, I just thought it funny that you call berserkercatspl a dpreview whore when only a few months ago, he stated his distate for the site while you defended it. In regards to the filter... money saved on the camera body could have been put towards buying the proper filter in the first place. Seems pretty straightforward to me Less money spent on body = more money available for small things that someone just starting out won't have, such as filters, flashes, bags, tripods, lenspens, etc etc.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of reading posts from you that do nothing but belittle the opinions and experience of other members. No offense, but you're probably the least experienced regular poster in this section, and yet you constantly attempt to shut down people far more experienced and knowledgeable than yourself. I think you'd do well to shut up and listen to what some of the "young little smartasses" are saying every now and then, instead of constantly acting like a pompous know-it-all.
    I think you need to review what you say and read before spewing off your whitty little comments.

There was no mention of DPreview whore.

Shutting people down? LOL, are you guys that insecure that you can't handle another persons opinion?

Where do you see me shutting anyone down?

Grow up kid.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Ever notice that 89coupe always brings up an expensive purchase in almost every one of his threads?

The wealth flaunting stinks of insecurity. Maybe his T4 only shows 5 digits this year without the options buyout money.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Hey BCS, I'm going to send you a PM.. this thread's starting to go off topic..

Still deciding whether I go with the 40D or 50D!

Budget wise, it's just an inital budget to start off.. I will spend more money on another lens in the summer time.

Thanks for all the help though everyone!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3