Quantcast
Friggin Shaw - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Friggin Shaw

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Thumbs down Friggin Shaw

My connection is so slow..it downloads @ 14kb/sec how gay is that? should i stay with them or go with Telus?

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Same thing happened to me man, so I switched to shaw, got a great deal $24/month for the first year. Make sure you tell them you switched from shaw. If you do recommend me you will get a free month so will I. PM me

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by Porsche_944
    Same thing happened to me man, so I switched to shaw, got a great deal $24/month for the first year. Make sure you tell them you switched from shaw. If you do recommend me you will get a free month so will I. PM me
    did u switch to or from shaw?

back when I was a competitive online gamer (bout 3 years ago) I went from Shaw to Telus, because during primetime my ping was in the 3-400s.. Now that there's more companies offering services, there's really not that much of a problem with any provider.. then again, every provider will have their problems in the network so it'll go down every so often.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo

did u switch to or from shaw?

Sorry my bad, I switched to Telus FROM Shaw. I personally think Telus is faster for me. But you can always try right? If you think Telus is slower then go back to Shaw. That was my plan but Telus was better than Shaw so I stayed with Telus.

My Ride
    Model S

Thats weird. Shaw must have a sub-par network in your neighborhood. I have always got insanely fast speeds from shaw. My worst day on shaw is always far better than my best day on Telus or Nucleus would be. Last time I benchmarked my connection I sustained 898KB/sec.

But, you should check out Nucleus before telus, see if they have anything that suits your needs. WAY better service.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Friggin Shaw

My connection is so slow..it downloads @ 14kb/sec how gay is that? should i stay with them or go with Telus?
    Check to make sure your Kazaa isn't running. And if you're running full Kazaa, all that P2P Networking stuff is disabled or uninstalled. Any uploads in background seriously affects speeds on Shaw, because upstream bandwidth is fairly limited.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Too bad Calgary doesn't have Sympatico.

My Ride
    94 Supra, 01 2.5rs

internet has been slow.... but everything else has been quick strange

if ya paying the 19.99 monthly shaw cable then ur not getting the bandwith you need! My moms sister dosen't use the computer that much so they pay 20 bucks a month but its a slower cable connection

Originally posted by googe
    Last time I benchmarked my connection I sustained 898KB/sec.
    You got nearly a MEG a second ? I don't think so. Shaw's cybersurfer modems cannot reach speeds over (around) 400 kiloBYTES a second. Not to mention Shaw doesn't even HAVE that much bandwidth available for one person. Hell their fiber-optic service doesn't even go that fast.

When I first joined broadband internet some 6 years ago, no one in my area had Shaw. I was averaging around 150 K/sec off topsites. After some 2 years, everyone was buying Shaw High Speed, and it went down to around 40 K/sec, then progressivly down until it got to around 25 K/sec.

898 K/sec ? Bullshit.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by link785

You got nearly a MEG a second ? I don't think so. Shaw's cybersurfer modems cannot reach speeds over (around) 400 kiloBYTES a second. Not to mention Shaw doesn't even HAVE that much bandwidth available for one person. Hell their fiber-optic service doesn't even go that fast.

When I first joined broadband internet some 6 years ago, no one in my area had Shaw. I was averaging around 150 K/sec off topsites. After some 2 years, everyone was buying Shaw High Speed, and it went down to around 40 K/sec, then progressivly down until it got to around 25 K/sec.

898 K/sec ? Bullshit.
    Something is wrong with your cable... You should be getting way higher than 25-40 K/sec.

Originally posted by gpomp
    Something is wrong with your cable... You should be getting way higher than 25-40 K/sec.
    I just lived in a HIGH traffic area by the time everyone was done jumping on the broadband band-wagon. Shaw also capped my area to 60 K/sec max speed.

Either way tho, there's no way he was getting nearly a meg a second, that's such bs.

From good servers, my Shaw connection can hit the 450Kb/s-500kB/s mark, more if it's a single file from FTP servers and such. Uploading is where Shaw really sucks at, can only hit about 30Kb/s there.

My Ride
    2010 Mazda 3

898 K/sec ? Bullshit.
    The highest speed I've gotten from Shaw was about 700 k/sec, and it's regularly been about 500 k/s. So maybe googe's claim really isn't .

Originally posted by AquamosH
    The highest speed I've gotten from Shaw was about 700 k/sec, and it's regularly been about 500 k/s. So maybe googe's claim really isn't .

If you're judging from what Windows tells you about how fast you're downloading at, forget it.

Use a *nix box, such as a Linux box, and run an iRCd or something. Then you will be able to tell REALLY how fast Shaw is. On average, downloading and uploading, I was able to get 35 K/sec before I switched to Nucleus DSL.

My Ride
    c300

898 K/sec ? Bullshit.

i remember when i was on shaw i've gotten over 500 k/sec

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Default Re: Re: Friggin Shaw

Originally posted by rage2

Check to make sure your Kazaa isn't running. And if you're running full Kazaa, all that P2P Networking stuff is disabled or uninstalled. Any uploads in background seriously affects speeds on Shaw, because upstream bandwidth is fairly limited.
    on Kazaa that's what it downloads at, id be lucky to hit 15kb/s and if im downloading from say download.com, same thing. but i use Kazaa Lite NOT Kazaa

Originally posted by Sai
    internet has been slow.... but everything else has been quick strange

if ya paying the 19.99 monthly shaw cable then ur not getting the bandwith you need! My moms sister dosen't use the computer that much so they pay 20 bucks a month but its a slower cable connection

that's the one i got , i think

but i e-mailed shaw, they sent me some links to test it so i did them and sent them back to them now im just waiting to see what they say. but hell they wanted me to download a 20mb file from them and i said hell no that would take forever

Which areas does Nucleus cover? My buddy got them when he got kicked off Shaw, but he had to move back to Shaw because his apartment burned down and he had to find a temp place to live which wasn't covered by Nucleus. Do they have a website?
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    MDX

Default Re: Re: Re: Friggin Shaw

on Kazaa that's what it downloads at, id be lucky to hit 15kb/s and if im downloading from say download.com, same thing. but i use Kazaa Lite NOT Kazaa

that's the one i got , i think

but i e-mailed shaw, they sent me some links to test it so i did them and sent them back to them now im just waiting to see what they say. but hell they wanted me to download a 20mb file from them and i said hell no that would take forever

Sounds like you have shaw "litespeed" which sucks ass! Its a glamorized dialup, with shitty dl speeds.

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Friggin Shaw

Originally posted by jdmakkord

Sounds like you have shaw "litespeed" which sucks ass! Its a glamorized dialup, with shitty dl speeds.
    it's even slower than dialup

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast