Quantcast
Who's got a DVD burner? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Who's got a DVD burner?

Talking Who's got a DVD burner?

Alright, looking to add a good DVD burner to my system and need some input on what to look for. How much should I expect to spend and what do you consider a "must" ?
    Oh, and what kind of blank media do you recommend as well?
    Thanks!

My Ride
    New 07!

I've had my current DVD burner a few months. The true question is what will you be using it for? If it's for just movie backup then you can usually get by with a single format DVD burner that your DVD player supports. This saves money! But if your the type (like myself) who wants the best and to be "future proof" you want probably a dual format DVD+/- drive. Little more expensive but worth it to me. I found the Sony 510A had the best options at the time (4x speeds, 8mb buffer, etc..). No complaints and no coasters yet!
    Don't get discouraged by the 4x speed rating- 4x DVD speeds means burning an entire 4.7gig DVD in 15min! LG also has a newer triple format (+/- and DVD-Ram) that can be had for around $200 or less. I can't comment on it's performance but it's a good price. There's new 8x DVD burner but they are still expensive and 7 vs 15 minutes is nothing to me.

Blank media- again this depends on the burner you have, speed, price and what you want to burn. Best option is to buy bigger stacks (50 or 100) to get better deals. Personally, I like Ritek DVD-R discs and so does everyone else I know with a DVD burner. Cheaper discs (princo, FutureShop specials, etc..) all work OK but are touchy in PS2, Xboxs and some DVD players. HTH
    Lovin' my new ride but I miss my old yeller CRX. :'(

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

If you're looking for some cheap DVD burners (under $200), you may want to check out these pages:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...c.asp?CatId=89
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...liateid=472595

When I'm not on beyond, I'm always fishing around for good deals on useless crap I never really need

Originally posted by C_CRX
    The true question is what will you be using it for?
    I'm looking for bigger backup capability (4+ GB vs 700MB ) and the ability to burn my own discs to play in standalone DVD players.

Don't get discouraged by the 4x speed rating- 4x DVD speeds means burning an entire 4.7gig DVD in 15min!
    Great info - thanks! I wasn't sure how fast a DVD burn speed is compared to CD-R speeds. That's pretty good for that much space.

I have two NEC DVD+R/RW and one SuperDrive DVD-R/RW (Apple).

They are awesome! I've burned over 100 DVD's in the past two months.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    Vettes mostly, some Stangs and a turbo 4 cylinder

LG makes a multi-writer does DVD+R, DVD+R/W, DVD-R, DVD-R/W and all the CD formats and DVD-RAM. It is just over 200 bucks Canadian.
    t.t.

Enjoy life, Enjoy Cars!

Horsepower isn't enough if the car can't handle or brake!

My Ride
    New 07!

Just under $200cdn if you get it from NCIX.com . It sounds like a great drive and for file backup DVD-ram is the easiest (each disc works like a 4gig spare HD, drag and drop). LG also gets lots of props from me since their CDRW burners were great. I'd definitly check them out. Might also be good to check out other CD/DVDRW burner related forums. Check google. HTH

My Ride
    87 RX-7 GX

yea go with sony or lg best quality out there

My Ride
    bus pass... again

I've had my current DVD burner a few months. The true question is what will you be using it for? If it's for just movie backup then you can usually get by with a single format DVD burner that your DVD player supports. This saves money! But if your the type (like myself) who wants the best and to be "future proof" you want probably a dual format DVD+/- drive. Little more expensive but worth it to me. I found the Sony 510A had the best options at the time (4x speeds, 8mb buffer, etc..). No complaints and no coasters yet!
    Don't get discouraged by the 4x speed rating- 4x DVD speeds means burning an entire 4.7gig DVD in 15min! LG also has a newer triple format (+/- and DVD-Ram) that can be had for around $200 or less. I can't comment on it's performance but it's a good price. There's new 8x DVD burner but they are still expensive and 7 vs 15 minutes is nothing to me.

Blank media- again this depends on the burner you have, speed, price and what you want to burn. Best option is to buy bigger stacks (50 or 100) to get better deals. Personally, I like Ritek DVD-R discs and so does everyone else I know with a DVD burner. Cheaper discs (princo, FutureShop specials, etc..) all work OK but are touchy in PS2, Xboxs and some DVD players. HTH
    Yo, you sure do know a lot about DVDRs is there a better DVD burner on the market thats better to burn PS2/Xbox games? And PM me your Email address, I might do a shippment of stuff from Hong Kong sometime Dec., and I might get you a really good deal on a B18A!
    我係阿仔

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

you're looking at about 500 bucks for a slightly above average market burner, which is by all means still really good.
    ahhh the beauty of being able to burn ps2 games.

My Ride
    New 07!

For PS2 and Xbox the main thing has to be- get good media! Like I said before, many people love the Riteks since they play well in nearly everything. Friends of mine complained the 'cheaper' princo, memorex and other discs would cause skipping in his PS2. These 'cheaper' discs can usually be spotted since the have a relatively light purplish tinge while the Riteks are darker.
    I'd also stick to more known burner brands- Sony and Pioneer. I really like my Sony and my friends with Pioneers love those. Also know a guy with a 8x Plextor and loves that. LG will probably work great but I have no experience with them (except we have a few at work! but I don't get to use them). Best to ask people on PS2 and Xbox modchips/news sites, they'll know loads more about which is best/works for them.

Oh, and I PM'ed my e-mail addy to ya! HTH

My Ride
    95 Stealth TT

no more than 200 bucks man.... i have a sony 300xi and its been great....
    dvd backups, data storage etc.....

'93 Stealth TT-stock- SOLD
    '95 Stealth TT far from stock And probably faster than you.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    you're looking at about 500 bucks for a slightly above average market burner
    Uh... the LG 4040B, which IMO is one of the best burners out right now costs $190 at Future Shop.

My Ride
    bus pass... again

Thanks For all your replies! ^____^
    我係阿仔