Quantcast
MK5 GTi owners - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: MK5 GTi owners

My Ride
    RWD/AWD/2WD

Default MK5 GTi owners

Need some input on your cars. How are they? Any known issues with the new generation VW's? And where the hell can I get the interlagos plaid fabric?

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

the plaid is gross, the leather seats are a little bit better for comfort i found. overall the car is a 8/10. wish i bought a 4 door. only main issue is with the headunit it turns the bass up every so often but it's not that big of a deal

oh yea i'm at 42k km
    Last edited by danno; 02-23-2009 at 06:58 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Accord Coupe V6/2015 CR-V

So far no real issues. I did have a fuel line rattle (more annoying than anything) that was a quick fix under warranty. Other than that the car has been flawless and I'm happy with my choice.

Just hit 10,000kms.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

21,000 kms on mine, 4dr DSG. I've had no problems with it yet. I got the leather seats as well because they are more supportive and looked better IMO. The only complaint is DSG can be a bit rough when you're crawling along at 5km/h in rush hour. But the harder it's driven the better it is.

Biggest flaw is the manual seats instead of power seats. There is also a larger than normal blindspot in the car so you have to ensure you adjust the mirrors properly (moreso than other cars).

DSG paddles are really tiny and the sunglass holder is really tiny.

Haha, other than these small issues the car is great
    ---

My Ride
    08 MKV Golf

i dont drive a GTI (but i can keep up to one) i love my VW MKV Golf (rabbit) im at a 29,000km with no issues

My Ride

Originally posted by Herb
    i dont drive a GTI (but i can keep up to one) i love my VW MKV Golf (rabbit) im at a 29,000km with no issues
    What kind of turbo kit is on it?

My Ride
    08 GTI 6MT RS

First off, The plaid seats are the shit. If you want leather go buy a bmw. The plaid is part of the GTI heritage, and the chicks love it.

The bass issue can be fixed, try reading up on it. I believe if you turn off the auto volume leveling or something it gets rid of it. The dealers have a TSB to fix it.

I have an 08 GTI with 22k on it. Fucking love it. Goes like stink. invest in a radar detector. Only a matter of time before I get arrested.

The turbo is a k03 borg-warner, made in germany.

My Ride
    MKV GTI

Love my GTI too, no problems yet but don't have very many KM on it. (2dr DSG)

My Ride

Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN
    First off, The plaid seats are the shit. If you want leather go buy a bmw. The plaid is part of the GTI heritage, and the chicks love it.

The bass issue can be fixed, try reading up on it. I believe if you turn off the auto volume leveling or something it gets rid of it. The dealers have a TSB to fix it.

I have an 08 GTI with 22k on it. Fucking love it. Goes like stink. invest in a radar detector. Only a matter of time before I get arrested.

The turbo is a k03 borg-warner, made in germany.
    I traded my BMW with leather for the GTI with leather

The leather seats have bigger bolsters and nicer headrests too.

Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN
    The plaid seats are the shit. If you want leather go buy a bmw. The plaid is part of the GTI heritage, and the chicks love it.

My Ride
    08 MKV Golf

Originally posted by Aleks

What kind of turbo kit is on it?
    who need a turbo when you got decals lol i can keep up to one i cant bet them (car length), i have a stage 2 93+oct chip & cold air intake, but the DSG GTI kick my ass, as for the turbo kit im waiting on C2 to release there stage 3 turbo kit, with 300+whp, ill be happy, i would have got a GTI but money issues all in all im very please with my golf (rabbit) VW FTW

Love the MKV.

DSG is fine, 37,000 on the car. Paddle shifters are perfect - personally I think the size is perfect, any larger would seem almost too big.

No major problems yet.

I like the plaid seats, nice touch to it.

I would love to test out one of these beauties.
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

If you're planning on buying new, then you might want to wait till next year for the mkVI. The plaid seats are standard, and if you keep the car stock you won't be running into any problems. It's once you start doing upgrades you'll start running into small problems but they are all relatively quick fixes. Definitely consider the DSG, I find it perfect for a daily driven car. Keep it in D for everyday use and use the paddles when you want to get spirited. However if all you want to do is go fast i suggest you look somewhere else because there are faster cars out there that are cheaper, but keep in mind you won't be getting the fit and finish of the GTI. If you do buy one you'll probably want to lower it first because they come with massive wheel gap haha. www.golfmkv.com is a good place to do some research.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

i'd agreed to wait until the mkVI comes out, basically the same car with new interior and exterior look. i havn't lowered mine yet, i don't think i will as i might be selling soon. but agreed they do look high, the 19's make it look a little better

Never had a GTI but I did have an 08 4Dr Rabbit. As far as anything else for the price, it was a no brainer. Awesome little car and great fun to drive. I only wanted a cheap commuter that wouldn't tempt me into trouble so I stayed clear of the GTI, but I do wish I had gone with it after. No torque at all on the Rabbit. But as far as chassis and road feel and such, that little platform was great, right off the lot. As far as options go it was pretty loaded up so I can imagine the GTI would even be more so. If I still had a need for a small car instead of something that could tow a trailer, I'd even still have it.

My Ride
    RWD/AWD/2WD

I actually posted this up as a precursor to the MKVI. I heard horror stories about the build qualities of VW in the late 90's but things seem to have gotten better the last few years.

I am tempted to put down a deposit for the new MKVI but am curious to see if the Scirrocco will be released in North America. Regardless I'll wait until the Geneva show is done before doing anything.

The only reason i'm asking where I can get the Interlagos plaid fabric is so I can rehopolster a set of Recaro Sportster's from my old car. I believe these were also the seats that come standard in the Audi RS6 & Euro R32 Golf.

My Ride
    GTI mmmkkvvv

ive got an 07 gti, i think the only problem is.. that it needs to be slammed.

I love the GTI, I have an MK4 and am waiting for my cousin to dump his MK5 to me for a cheap price

Things I wish it had: LSD & 40 more hp, but at least there are aftermarket things available