Quantcast
Question and Advice Needed About first bike - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question and Advice Needed About first bike

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Take a course! Im doing mine at the end of march.

I personally think a new rider, especially someone under 20 should NOT get a sportbike as their first.

Get something like a dual sport that you don't care if you drop it and it doesn't have the performance to get you into trouble.

There's a reason that sportbikes are 3x more likely to get into accidents than any other class of motorbike. It's the children that think they're invincible and blow through intersections at 150 kph.
    Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

My Ride
    Spec V SE-R

Originally posted by scat19
    Take a course! Im doing mine at the end of march.
    +1
    Take the course and go from there, see how you do on a bike first.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by khtm
    I personally think a new rider, especially someone under 20 should NOT get a sportbike as their first.
    Please stop using age as a determining factor. Maturity level does not necessarily coincide with age.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    2006 G35 Coupe

As for lowering the bike, I was thinking of doing that so I could feel more comfortable on my R6. But, then I was warned by a few of my riding buddies that when you lower it there is a greater chance of "bottom/bottoming out" on the bike. What that essentially means is, when you hit a pothole or especially a speedbump, the suspension runs out of travel and bumps against its internal stops.

Originally posted by Eleanor
    Please stop using age as a determining factor. Maturity level does not necessarily coincide with age.
    Nothing to do with maturity, it's just an assumption that by the time you're 20 you have 5 or so years of Class 5 DRIVING experience and can handle different situations and recognize traffic patterns and be able to predict when bad shit will happen (like when the car ahead of you and in the lane to your right will change lanes without signaling or shoulder-checking).

Everyone thinks they're driving superstars at 16, heck I sure in the hell did (and totaled my Dad's truck while thinking so), but most kids aren't.

But either way stats don't lie that <20 + sportsbike = bad.
    Last edited by khtm; 03-05-2009 at 04:26 PM.

very true thats why my insurance was fucken crazy

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Nothing to do with maturity, it's just an assumption that by the time you're 20 you have 5 or so years of Class 5 DRIVING experience and can handle different situations and recognize traffic patterns and be able to predict when bad shit will happen (like when the car ahead of you and in the lane to your right will change lanes without signaling or shoulder-checking).
    Except most of the time most "accidents" aren't because you didn't shoulder check, it's because you were doing double the speed limit. Which has everything to do with maturity.

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

I would advise to take the course before deciding on a bike. Seeing as how you haven't been on one, you shouldn't be ruling anything out.

Before I took the course, I thought for sure I'd end up on a sportbike. But I soon found out that I wanted a more upright riding position for the odd long distance ride.

If you absolutely must get a sportbike, I'm sure you can do it, as many have before. But know that they're considered as high-risk vehicles for a reason. You insurance costs will surely remind you of this.

Except most of the time most &quot;accidents&quot; aren't because you didn't shoulder check, it's because you were doing double the speed limit. Which has everything to do with maturity.
    Ok, you win. People under 20 are extremely good and safe drivers and should ride sportsbikes.

Is that what you wanted to hear? It seems like you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'm not too surprised being that you're a new, young rider yourself.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Ok, you win. People under 20 are extremely good and safe drivers and should ride sportsbikes.
    Nope, that's not what I want to hear. There are plenty of stupid people under 20 who shouldn't ride sportbikes, but there are also plenty of stupid people over 20 who ride sportbikes too.

I mostly hate the focus on age, like when someone turns 20 they immediately become a better driver/rider. Everyone is different. There are some 18 year olds I'd rather see riding liter bikes than some 24 year olds I know.

^ There's a reason that insurance rates are higher for young riders. Hint: it's not because of a conspiracy or prejudice

My Ride
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

agree'd! last summer was my first season on my gsxr, i didnt have any close calls or anything.

My Ride
    2004 Yamaha R6, 2005 Acura RSX Type-S

I have already signed up for a course on march 16th depending on the weather it might get postponed to the end of march. As deciding on a bike that will take some time since I had the pleasure to sit on some dual sports and found them to be not too bad at all. Only time will tell.

I am sure most people on the forums have heard all the excuses and all but reason for getting a bike is I only live once and want to try new things and see if I enjoy it or not. I have always wanted to ride a bike since I was young.

I have never done anything stupid when there is other people on the road and sidewalks. Only time was during snowy nights where I tend to go out to a bestbuy parking lot to have some fun for a couple of minutes. Mind you I will not be doing stupid stuff on bikes whatsoever, obviously that rules stunting out too for me. Stats do say younger riders tend to be more accident prone but that does not mean ALL young riders, there are lots of stupid people out in this world but there are smart ones too.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

^ There's a reason that insurance rates are higher for young riders. Hint: it's not because of a conspiracy or prejudice
    Insurance is all about prejudice. They're the only ones who can get away with it. They can be ageist & sexist all they want.

My Ride
    2006 ZX6R

This will be my second year on a bike. i took a course last year and rode a sv650 all summer, picked up a zx6r this year. biggest thing is take your time and get used to the bike. learning on something alittle more tame is always a good idea, but you dont always need to shift at 12,000.

My Ride

Alrighty! I have sat on the majority of the bikes out there (600cc) and they all felt good but some lower and higher than others.

My question is, since I sat on bikes from all different years it makes the height thing kind of not comparable. Right now, I am a student at SAIT and don`t have loads of cash and looking for a relatively inexpensive crotch rocket (Not $7K+). Is there anything you guys can tell me about the 2003/2004 model heights? All websites seem to be different in all ways.

Personal experience is always welcomed!

My Ride
    U Don't Want To Know

Default Re: Question and Advice Needed

Originally posted by SetoJai
    I have recently been pondering the question of should I get a bike or not, since I only live once might as well try it out and see how it goes.

Couple of questions I wanted to be cleared up. In order to obtain your full class 6 can you have a class 5 GDL-Driver or it has to be class 5 Non-GDL (I am still GDL-Driver)?

I do intend to take a motorcycle safety course to learn all that I can about safe riding. After that I plan to buy a 600cc sport bike. Yes, some might think it is better to start off on a 250cc because I might kill myself with the extra power, but with common sense and adequate training involved I will be okay.

I recently went to a couple of shops to sit on a couple of bikes and found the Gixxer 600 to be the lowest one (I am short 5'5) and the Yamaha R6 to be a bit higher but the handle bars are a lot closer compared to the Gixxer 600. I haven't had the chance to sit on a CBR600r(r?) so I would like some opinions on the CBR height and handle bar closeness.

Sorry for the long post. Please share some of your experiences with me and give me some advice about the topic, all comments will be taken into account!
    Just take a course and get use 600 or new doesnt matter. Dont ask tooo many question on here. Its ur money just buy watever u like. I already learn my lesson. Dont buy anything under 600 u will end up spend more money.

My Ride

Thanks for all the comments all. The course I signed up for is about to start and I am stoked! As for a bike, I will just have to look around and sit and feel.

I think you're focusing way too much on the height of the bike. Once you get onto it, being able to plant your feet flat is pretty insignificant.

They'll show you in the course that you shouldn't have both feet down when you're stopped anyway. Since your left foot will be the only one on the asphalt, the bike will naturally lean and you will be able to put your foot down as much as you need to.

Just pick the bike that feels the best for your body type and really think about the kind of riding you want to do. I know for myself, my 600rr is a blast on the highway and fun for cruising around town if there is limited traffic. Anytime I have to sit in traffic it's pretty terrible and I'd much rather be on a sport touring or even a dual-purpose bike.
    Last edited by BrknFngrs; 03-13-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast